Coke zero

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I usually have 0-2 Coke Zeros a day, depending on what's up. I also like Pepsi max @JBApplebee, but it's not as available as Coke Zero is to me, and I'll choose CZ over PM in the grocery store if I'm buying a 12 pack (unless there's a great sale or coupon). I was a HUGE Pepsi drinker (2-3 cans a day) before weight loss, so I'm just a soda fan in general. I drink a crapton of sparkling water, but I still love a brown and bubbly sweet drink.
  • SagePeach
    SagePeach Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    For the bolded ingredients, why did you bold them? What's wrong with, say, potassium citrate?

Good Question.
    Potassium Citrate is a chemical compound used to reduce acidity.

In medicine it can be used to reduce the effects of Gout and the formation of Kidney Stones.
    It is intended for short term use to control specific symptoms.

Long term exposure may cause hyperkalemia (Excessive Potassium in the Blood). Hyperkalemia symptoms are dizzyness, irregular heart rhythm, mood swings and confusion, numbness and tingling sensations etc.

Basically, you're drinking an Anti-Corrosive, although very mild, because Coke Zero tastes good.
    Put 10 years of exposure into it, that's when problems exacerbate.

I've been drinking diet soda for a lot longer than 10 years and amazingly I'm still alive (and in excellent health). Go figure :p
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Love the ignore button! However, wish it would also work when the offender is quoted...
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    From my own n=1 observations, a lot of fat people who are drinking diet sodas are washing down whole pizzas, triple bacon cheeseburgers, and extra large fries. I think a lot of people think the fact that they are drinking the diet soda trumps those other things...that's why they're fat.

I drink diet soda...not fat. I was fat when I was drinking regular soda...lost 40 Lbs with diet soda in my life.

The problem with correlation studies is that other variables aren't controlled.

Nobody really thinks that. I say that as someone who has from time to time washed down most of a pizza with Diet Pepsi. Fat people aren't stupid, you know. It's just a relatively painless way to save some calories for people who have other issues with food. I don't know if you mean to come off as contemptuous toward the overweight, but it kind of sounds that way to me.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

A "Potassium Citrate based controlled compound" is not Potassium Citrate. I can assure you that the coca cola company does not pour crushed pills into its cola.

Ok... let me explain... AGAIN.

Every chemical compound present in an FDA approved food item, supplement, medicine etc has had to be demonstrated to be "Generally Safe for Human Consumption"

That means it is a controlled compound. Period.

So, if you want to know every possible effect, you can read about drug description leaflet for any drug or supplement that is Potassium Citrate based.
    That's all.

No one is saying that drinking diet coke is the equivalent of picking up your grandma's diet pills and smoking them in a pipe.
    (The last piece was a joke, BTW, Just in case it wasn't clear)

First off it's "Generally Recognized as Safe" AKA GRAS. if you're going to pontificate, be accurate. Second there's no pamphlet. It's a paragraph
    §184.1625 Potassium citrate.

(a) Potassium citrate (C6H5K3O7·H2O, CAS Reg. No. 006100-0905-096) is the potassium salt of citric acid. It is prepared by neutralizing citric acid with potassium hydroxide or potassium carbonate. It occurs as transparent crystals or a white granular powder, is odorless and deliquescent, and contains one mole of water per mole of potassium citrate.

(b) The ingredient meets the specifications of the Food Chemicals Codex, 3d ed. (1981), p. 242, which is incorporated by reference in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51. Copies are available from the National Academy Press, 2101 Constitution Ave. NW., Washington, DC 20418, and the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (HFS-200), 5001 Campus Dr., College Park, MD 20740, or may be examined at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030, or go to: http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/code_of_federal_regulations/ibr_locations.html.

(c) In accordance with §184.1(b)(1), the ingredient is used in food with no limitation other than current good manufacturing practice.

(d) Prior sanctions for this ingredient different from the uses established in this section, or different from those set forth in part 181 of this chapter, do not exist or have been waived.

[59 FR 63896, Dec. 12, 1994]

But, but, but...do you have a degree?!? :huh:

;)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

A "Potassium Citrate based controlled compound" is not Potassium Citrate. I can assure you that the coca cola company does not pour crushed pills into its cola.

Every chemical compound present in an FDA approved food item, supplement, medicine etc has had to be demonstrated to be "Generally Safe for Human Consumption"

So, if you want to know every possible effect, you can read about drug description leaflet for any drug or supplement that is Potassium Citrate based.
    That's all.

No one is saying that drinking diet coke is the equivalent of picking up your grandma's diet pills and smoking them in a pipe.

First off it's "Generally Recognized as Safe" AKA GRAS. if you're going to pontificate, be accurate. Second there's no pamphlet. It's a paragraph

(a) Potassium citrate (C6H5K3O7·H2O, CAS Reg. No. 006100-0905-096) is the potassium salt of citric acid. It is prepared by neutralizing citric acid with potassium hydroxide or potassium carbonate. It occurs as transparent crystals or a white granular powder, is odorless and deliquescent, and contains one mole of water per mole of potassium citrate.

(b) The ingredient meets the specifications of the Food Chemicals Codex, 3d ed. (1981), p. 242, which is incorporated by reference in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51. Copies are available from the National Academy Press, 2101 Constitution Ave. NW., Washington, DC 20418, and the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (HFS-200), 5001 Campus Dr., College Park, MD 20740, or may be examined at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030, or go to: http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/code_of_federal_regulations/ibr_locations.html.

(c) In accordance with §184.1(b)(1), the ingredient is used in food with no limitation other than current good manufacturing practice.

(d) Prior sanctions for this ingredient different from the uses established in this section, or different from those set forth in part 181 of this chapter, do not exist or have been waived.

;)

I have several. None of which are relevant to the topic at hand.

Although I'm also literate(since I was 6) which is relevant to the topic at hand. Since I've been reading journals recreationally since before I was a teenager, so I've got some background in critical study of scientific and technical writing.

Edited to clarify: I first started reading technical and scientific journals recreationally in early middle school, I was 11 or 12 not 6.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

That's all.

;)

I know it was sarcastic, but yes...
    I have a microbiology degree from USF (As part of my prerequisites) and a post graduation in bio-chemistry.

So, while I may not be a doctor, I learned a thing or two about interpreting research :)
    And, the next MCAT is in the fall.. SO it may take a while.
  • quiksylver296
    edited June 2018
    Options

That's all.

;)

I know it was sarcastic, but yes...
    I have a microbiology degree from USF (As part of my prerequisites) and a post graduation in bio-chemistry.

So, while I may not be a doctor, I learned a thing or two about interpreting research :)
    And, the next MCAT is in the fall.. SO it may take a while.

Good luck with that...
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Are we all trotting out our degrees?