JUST GIVE ME 10 DAYS - Round 44

Options

Replies

• jerier
    jerier Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am wondering when youall exercise, do you eat back none, some or all of your activity calories?

@naturalmermaid I never count activity calories. I've found that they're rarely accurate; the number is over estimated. Conversely, food label calories tend to be underestimated.
  • mrs_sutsie
    mrs_sutsie Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    @naturalmermaid if one of my usual gym sessions, my usual stesp (up to 15k) or a short cycle ride up to 20 miles then I don't tend to eat back my calories. The only time I do is if I go out with the cycling club on a Sunday morning when we do 40-60 miles with a mid point stop at a team rooms - then I do have tea and cake, don't feel guilty and in reality don't eat back all the calories I burn anyway (often over 1,000!)
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,821 Member
    Options
    @jerier I take screenshots of my weight graph once a month. Next month will be the biggie. Six months of WW followed by 1 year of Keto.

• jerier
    jerier Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @quiltingjaine I like it! The graph is such a helpful visual.
    I identify with trends much more than the actual number on the scale for any given day.
    I keep each 10 day challenge on a separate "note" in my computer with prior challenge results just above daily entries. Just like my posts here. When I have a bump up one day I don't sweat it because the trend is right there. Also, I can see the results of my choices from of the comments I've included. I need the reminders (aka brick hitting my head) sometimes.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,980 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am wondering when youall exercise, do you eat back none, some or all of your activity calories?

@naturalmermaid, I have never eaten back exercise calories. I first heard of that when I joined MFP in 2011 and I thought it was quite strange.

@quiltingjaine, Yes! Waste it or waist it! I think that I have convinced my son to not eat his childrens leftovers. He says he needs to lose 20lbs, but he's muscular. My sons are like me. We can carry extra weight and not look like we're that heavy until it gets way out of hand. We can put on muscle quickly too.

• no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I eat back exercise calories if I am still hungry that day, but I don't make myself eat them back. I also sometimes use it as a means of increasing my calorie limit for the day if I know I am going to indulge in something--I earn it through exercise.
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,821 Member
    Options
    @jerier I also have a running “diary” in the notes on my phone. At the end of each 10 days I send that round to myself in an email AND save it to a doc in my computer. Multiple copies lest one system fails.

@naturalmermaid When I did WW 10 years ago you got an additional 1 point for every 100 calories you burned. This translated to approximately 50 calories in food so you were still maintaining a deficit. I bought a heart rate monitor so I had a fairly accurate idea of calories burned whereas some who posted said they had burned nearly 1,000 calories which I felt was an overestimation of their activity level. I think there was an article recently about eating back your calories.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

@naturalmermaid, try eating back half, or all, or none; if you're low on energy, get poor workouts, or lose unexpectedly fast, eat more. If you're not losing as you expect, eat less :)

Personally I am a fan of eating, and I love cardio, and running is harder if I'm low on calories. Now in maintenance, I eat 'em all back - as I did during most of my loss, too. Your mileage may vary.