Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    That time has come. Yellowstone blew. The Juan de Fuca plate snapped. Our twelve biggest cities were bombed. Texas got cooler than 70 degrees. Whatever the worst case scenario is, it has happened. What’s your plan? Who do you meet up with first? What’s in your backpack? Discuss

Poor Betty White.

Betty White survives all of this, that's a known fact.

That's my only Doomsday scenario.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @Caporegiem does your cave have electricity? I’m gonna need a place to plug in my 3D printer

Yeah but we'll have to go steal it. Think it works the same way as siphoning gas from a vehicle, instead of a water hose in the gas tank though you use an extension cord and hook it to someone's house.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    @Caporegiem does your cave have electricity? I’m gonna need a place to plug in my 3D printer

Yeah but we'll have to go steal it. Think it works the same way as siphoning gas from a vehicle, instead of a water hose in the gas tank though you use an extension cord and hook it to someone's house.

Hmm.. was gonna print an extension cord, so now we’re in a pickle
  • Caporegiem
    Options

No we're in a cave, pay attention.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Which one of us is calling the shots here? Who got you the 3D printer and the pretty decorations?
  • Caporegiem
    Options
    We'd be good. I can shoot a gun, a bow, fish and have enough martial arts training to protect myself. I keep an emergency bag but it's more so if we were ever to have a long term power grid failure or what not, that would come useful in this situation too I suppose. My uncle has a safe room, I could go there, but I don't have much of an actual plan because I can't live in fear.

Where would you say the line gets crossed between being prepared in the event of an emergency and paranoia/living in fear?
  • Caporegiem
    Options

Which one of us is calling the shots here? Who got you the 3D printer and the pretty decorations?

The 3D printer is only helpful if we have filament that you can eat. Then we can spend 12 hours printing a slice of bread for dinner.
  • cee134
    Options
    I'm going to go live in a cave. I'm going to do that anyways, but if it's a doomsday scenario I might move there a little quicker.

I’m a semi-pro at decorating man-caves

You don't decorate man-caves. We can stack all the food/supplies we're going to steal from @DeadliftsAndSprinkles up against the walls though.

Okay but then where will we put @DeadliftsAndSprinkles ?

Fine....we can have one decoration.

Well then what am I supposed to do with this ceramic owl, sheesh

You have to decide between the two. The ceramic owl can hold cookies, @DeadliftsAndSprinkles can you hold cookies?

Can she just hold the owl that holds the cookies? I feel like we’re overthinking this

Oh yeah... @DeadliftsAndSprinkles can you hold ceramic owls that hold cookies?

Of course I can, I'm not an imbecile

yfs1hha7hio4.jpg
  • SpartanRunner1978
    SpartanRunner1978 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Based on the current status of my cupboards, I have enough food to keep me alive for another 12 minutes

Then wed be screwed my fridge is worse than a bachelor's pad. Unless you like ketchup.

Only on eggs, right @pudgy1977 ?

Sorry @caco_ethes and i are making soup.

With ketchup? Yummy!?!?
  • cee134
    Options

The 3D printer is only helpful if we have filament that you can eat. Then we can spend 12 hours printing a slice of bread for dinner.

I usually just use my 3D printer to make key chains. Hmmm..... editable key chains. I'm starting to like this Apocalypse.

kocq1pbhucuo.jpg
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Or you could use it to print a weapon. Like a stick
  • cee134
    Options

Or a rope.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Or a rope.

Sticks would be more useful. I’m sure we’ll be able to find rope lying around
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    We'd be good. I can shoot a gun, a bow, fish and have enough martial arts training to protect myself. I keep an emergency bag but it's more so if we were ever to have a long term power grid failure or what not, that would come useful in this situation too I suppose. My uncle has a safe room, I could go there, but I don't have much of an actual plan because I can't live in fear.

Where would you say the line gets crossed between being prepared in the event of an emergency and paranoia/living in fear?

That answer would differ from person to person. I think it's smart to have a small plan and basic supplies to keep you going a few weeks and give you time to make a larger plan for said emergency. But I am not going to stress over it. I'm not going to invest an absurd amount of savings into it. I can not be prepared for everything. Yellowstone could blow tomorrow, a tsunami can come, an attack on our country could happen, half the country could wake up with some mysterious illness. How do I prepare myself for everything, I can't, so I'll focus on today.

This is exactly why I poured all my savings into a 3D printer
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the costume store and assuming the identity of a old man. I'll have a haunted yet intense look about me that will make people think I'm harmless but also that they wouldn't chance *kitten* with me.
    I'll wander around with a backpack of essentials, a knife and a handgun that is concealed.
    When I scope out a community that meets my list of requirements I'll rejoin civilization. They won't let me in at first because they have no use for old men but that's when I whip out a tiddy. Instant access.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Based on the current status of my cupboards, I have enough food to keep me alive for another 12 minutes

Then wed be screwed my fridge is worse than a bachelor's pad. Unless you like ketchup.

Only on eggs, right @pudgy1977 ?

Sorry @caco_ethes and i are making soup.

With ketchup? Yummy!?!?

Hey if you have eggs, we’ll go in on them with you
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    bhadbahabi wrote: »
    I'm going to the costume store and assuming the identity of a old man. I'll have a haunted yet intense look about me that will make people think I'm harmless but also that they wouldn't chance *kitten* with me.
    I'll wander around with a backpack of essentials, a knife and a handgun that is concealed.
    When I scope out a community that meets my list of requirements I'll rejoin civilization. They won't let me in at first because they have no use for old men but that's when I whip out a tiddy. Instant access.

It’s true, people love homeless men with tiddies
  • cee134
    Options

Or a rope.

What are you, insane? Charlie Bronson's always got a rope. He's always got a lot of rope strapped around him in the movies, and they always end up using it. You don't *kitten* know what you're gonna need it for, they just always need it.

(side note, 3D filament is already a rope. I'm starting to think you don't even 3D print)
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Or a rope.

What are you, insane? Charlie Bronson's always got a rope. He's always got a lot of rope strapped around him in the movies, and they always end up using it. You don't *kitten* know what you're gonna need it for, they just always need it.

(side note, 3D filament is already a rope. I'm starting to think you don't even 3D print)

You’re missing the point, Cee. If I have filament, I have rope already. What I NEED are sticks. Tell me what’s more useful than a machine that takes rope and turns it into sticks?
  • cee134
    edited June 2018
    Options

Or a rope.

You’re missing the point, Cee. If I have filament, I have rope already. What I NEED are sticks. Tell me what’s more useful than a machine that takes rope and turns it into sticks?

A machine that takes sticks and turns it into rope.

Wait! If we have both machines we have an infinite supply of sticks and rope.

Then we can do this:
    p2hdwjdftx09.gif