July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I signed up to do the hilliest and hardest MARATHON I could find, which took me 7 and a half hours, and I won't say I loved it, but I love the feeling I have now. I am invincible. I may have wobbly extra bits of flesh, but I don't care, I have run a MARATHON and not that many people can say that. I can do ANYTHING. I am the champion of the world.

I'm so glad you are feeling better about it now! I was thinking about you at one point when I was running on Saturday, wondering if you'd've felt better if you'd only done a half, and also trying to imagine how I would've felt if I had to do the whole marathon distance on trails like that. I would have finished, but it would not have been pretty.

Oh I’m glad I did the marathon. I was even glad I was doing a marathon at the time, even if I didn’t ‘enjoy’ every moment. It was just a day out with new friends. That happened to include some hills, a lot of heat, some difficult terrain, for 26 plus miles.

Oddly I recovered better than last years half, or other runs I’ve done which have affected my quads more.

• bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @HeatherRivet - Welcome!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Fun fact: Food poisoning is a quick way to lose a lot of weight. Like 5lbs. In one night. I certainly don't recommend it though.

Needless to say, I didn't run this morning.

Sadly been there done that... not fun, but at least it passes quickly...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I DID it! I went to the gym and ran 3 horrible dreadmill miles (and walked another). I really miss the ones at my old gym--they had a little personal fan on them that made it more bearable.

7/1 Kayaking
    7/2 3 miles run, 1 mile walk

exercise.png

Maybe you could get one of those battery powered clip on fans and bring it with you next time?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Bah. Starting July with a big fat 0. I planned to run when I got home after the heat of the day dropped a bit... but right now it is all thunder and lighting... last bolt the thunder was almost at the same time as the light, so storm is too close for comfort (before anyone asks, I have a battery powered laptop on a wireless network that is connected to a bank of UPSs :D )

Ah well, maybe this will break the heat wave...
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Can we do a Where in the World are you? I keep seeing others posting about it being winter and I wanna know my fellow winter runners are! I assume this gets done every month or so, but I'm new so please!

I'm in the Far North of New Zealand - called the winterless north, but it didn't feel that way last Saturday when it was 4 degrees Celsius outside. But to be fair to anyone further south, we are averaging about 10 degrees atm so I feel a bit bad about complaining...
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Can we do a Where in the World are you? I keep seeing others posting about it being winter and I wanna know my fellow winter runners are! I assume this gets done every month or so, but I'm new so please!
    I'm in the Far North of New Zealand...

I'm just north of Dallas, Texas. Currently 104F degrees at 6pm!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Phoenix, AZ 108F (not sure I need the F, if it was 108C I *might* be dead) degrees at 4:21 pm
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Currently melting in Austin, Texas

@Scott6255 @RunsOnEspresso It is 104 at 6pm here to. We need to have a southern summer runners PTSD group. I am sure the northern people here feel the same way about the winter months.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Maybe you could get one of those battery powered clip on fans and bring it with you next time?

That is on my list of things to look for on Amazon tonight, lol!

Avidkeo wrote: »
    Can we do a Where in the World are you?

It's definitely not winter here! I live in northern Virginia, about 15-20 miles from the swirling vortex of awful that is Washington, DC.

• monkeygirl08
    monkeygirl08 Posts: 2,109 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I got 3.5/30 in today. Had to talk myself into getting out there since it's hot but it was worth it. :smile:

Also, I'm from Northwestern ohio
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Western MA closer to Hartford CT than Boston.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sadly been there done that... not fun, but at least it passes quickly...

Oh... yeah it does.... real quickly
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    July goals 60 miles. Work up to 5 minutes of running. Bike often. Rehab smart.

1---5.52 mtn bike
    2---2.09 run 3(4,4)

MILES
    Running 2.1
    Cycling/MTN bike 5.52

Upcoming Races
    July 22 Draper Lake Duathlon (3k,22.5k,3k). Norman OK
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    To answer Where In The World... about an hour north of Pittsburgh, PA