July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Lol @ContraryMaryMary yeah it gets amazing on sunny days. Where did you visit? I live in Hokianga

We based ourselves in Mangonui, drove to Cape Reinga and down 90 mile beach on Saturday. Hubby had fun drifting and doing donuts (once he worked out how to turn all the protective anti-skid features off). I took my running shoes up north but not in the car for our day trip so missed the opportunity to do “90 miles” (or realistically 10k) in a dead straight line down a beach. Would be a perfect location for the world’s most mind bending ultra race!!

Loved it so much we wasted a few hours on Sunday looking at baches and beachfront sections for sale (although, realistically, it’s a bit too far away).

Very nice!

Hokianga is a bit closer to Auckland and has great prices 😆😋

And I forgot to update my ks! 6.5 done today, so total 11.5km so far.
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Iffiormana wrote: »
    I walk minimum of 5miles daily so in a month I can do 150miles.I will try to do 150 may be a bit more or a bit less can’t say yet.

So, I do not know your level of fitness or training, but if you are newish or even intermediate to this you will want to make sure you are taking at least 1 rest day a week. It is way too easy to overdo it and burn out or get hurt. Just something to consider. Some of us (including me when schedule permits) do run every day for big stretches, but by far most runners only run 3 or 4 days a week.
    I try to run 5miles but but obviously I can’t so I just take small breaks in between or start walking when gets really tired.
    No I don’t take rest days and I’m really fine with doing this,it’s helping me loose weight.
    I don’t over exert myself :)

Anyone else a bit worried about this?

@Iffiormana Are you saying you walk 5 miles every day and are now going to run every day? I hope not.

Rest days are when your muscles get stronger and faster. You can walk on rest days, but you shouldn't run, and if you're a beginner you should only run 3 days a week.

Yeah, agree it sounds quite extreme! Had a girl in the gym where I worked becoming very ill on a regime like this....

Rest is part of training!
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I DID it! I went to the gym and ran 3 horrible dreadmill miles (and walked another). I really miss the ones at my old gym--they had a little personal fan on them that made it more bearable.

7/1 Kayaking
    7/2 3 miles run, 1 mile walk

exercise.png

My local gym has mirrors Infront of the dreadmills..... No one wants to look at themselves running! :D
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Runs
    July 1 – 11.0 km (6.8 miles)
    July 3 – 09.0 km (5.6 miles)

Elise4270 wrote: »
    Can we do a Where in the World are you? I keep seeing others posting about it being winter and I wanna know my fellow winter runners are! I assume this gets done every month or so, but I'm new so please!

I'm in the Far North of New Zealand - ...

I'm in Oklahoma USA. I'm sure @Orphia is in Australia.

Yep, thanks @Elise4270 . I'm in Victoria, Australia.

It was 7C this morning on my run, positively balmy compared to recent mornings of around 2C.

@Avidkeo are you and @ContraryMaryMary near each other?

I haven't found anyone in this thread near me, or even anyone in Australia.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I walk minimum of 5miles daily so in a month I can do 150miles.I will try to do 150 may be a bit more or a bit less can’t say yet.

So, I do not know your level of fitness or training, but if you are newish or even intermediate to this you will want to make sure you are taking at least 1 rest day a week. It is way too easy to overdo it and burn out or get hurt. Just something to consider. Some of us (including me when schedule permits) do run every day for big stretches, but by far most runners only run 3 or 4 days a week.
    I try to run 5miles but but obviously I can’t so I just take small breaks in between or start walking when gets really tired.
    No I don’t take rest days and I’m really fine with doing this,it’s helping me loose weight.

@Iffiormana Are you saying you walk 5 miles every day and are now going to run every day? I hope not.

Rest days are when your muscles get stronger and faster. You can walk on rest days, but you shouldn't run, and if you're a beginner you should only run 3 days a week.
    Oh no no no,may be I came out unclear.I run & walk for 5miles daily.May be running would be 1-1.5miles & high pace walk for 3.5miles.
    I didn’t understood that people here are just talking about running.My bad !!

How long have you been doing that? Are you doing Couch to 5K?
  • Iffiormana
    Iffiormana Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Oh no no no,may be I came out unclear.I run & walk for 5miles daily.May be running would be 1-1.5miles & high pace walk for 3.5miles.

I have been doing it from more than year.I go to gym for an hour 3 times a week,walk slowly for 2hours like 15km/hr and run for 5miles daily.
  • Iffiormana
    Iffiormana Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Oh I forget to mention that even during running I take breaks and slow down my pace a few times.I can’t run constantly for more than a mile yet.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Runs

Can we do a Where in the World are you? I keep seeing others posting about it being winter and I wanna know my fellow winter runners are! I assume this gets done every month or so, but I'm new so please!

It was 7C this morning on my run, positively balmy compared to recent mornings of around 2C.

@Orphia we are about 3-4 hrs apart so not that close lol. I've got familein Victoria, grandparents in Shepperton and my brother in Melbourne.

I am switching my running to the morning, so getting up at 5:30am. It's too hard trying to get out in the evening with the kids. 5:30 scares me...
  • Orphia
    Options
    Runs

@Orphia we are about 3-4 hrs apart so not that close lol. I've got familein Victoria, grandparents in Shepperton and my brother in Melbourne.

I am switching my running to the morning, so getting up at 5:30am. It's too hard trying to get out in the evening with the kids. 5:30 scares me...

Cool! I did my first marathon at Shepparton in August last year. :smile: Needless to say, I have a soft spot for it.

5:30 morning runs are awesome!

I signed up for Melbourne Marathon last week! It's in October.
  • joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    July 1 - 10 km club run
    July 2 - 22 km long run
    July 3 - sick

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I'm in the Far North of New Zealand - called the winterless north, but it didn't feel that way last Saturday when it was 4 degrees Celsius outside. But to be fair to anyone further south, we are averaging about 10 degrees atm so I feel a bit bad about complaining...
    @Avidkeo Almost in Geneva, Switzerland - but I live in a small village in France (about 1km from the border). We had 33°C yesterday (~90F), thankfully there was a thunderstorm in the night and today it's "only" about 27°C (~80F). I wish it was 4°C instead!

e.t.a: maybe we could make a google map and everyone puts a pin in the area they live? that would be much easier to find than hidden in a long thread.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Question for those who run ultras... I have a Camelbak Rogue that is about six years old. It's still working great, but I am becoming increasingly unhappy with the way it has been riding up on me when it's full and the way it has been flopping as it gets near empty. It didn't use to do that and I can't tighten it any more than it already is. I think I am ready for an upgrade. Any suggestions on good hydration systems? I don't like bottle vests or carriers...looking for something with at least a 70 oz bladder.... I have been killing time looking on line and now I am bleary with reading about too many features.

I have just received:

https://wunjosports.com/products/wunjo-x5-ultra-advanced-hydration-backpack-10-1-5-l?variant=6158012678182

Based on recommendations from @JessicaMcB and @MNLittleFinn - Hope to try it on a long run this weekend. They are a small outfit so shipping is very slow, but they do ship eventually. Mine just arrived yesterday.

ETA: Here is a picture:
    vqmdbgp78rb2.png
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Thanks! And the price is sweet, too! And I haven't seen Jessica or LittleFinn since I have been back....
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent Thanks! And the price is sweet, too! And I haven't seen Jessica or LittleFinn since I have been back....

Yeah, they seem to have dropped off the thread. Watch for a PM from me...
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Oh I should mention that Wunjo Sports is one of @JessicaMcB official sponsors now. She actually does her races using the vest and still speaks well of it. :)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    6.35 this morning. Felt stiff and awkward the first 3 miles, then loosened up and felt comfortable the last half.

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Question for those who run ultras... I have a Camelbak Rogue that is about six years old. It's still working great, but I am becoming increasingly unhappy with the way it has been riding up on me when it's full and the way it has been flopping as it gets near empty. It didn't use to do that and I can't tighten it any more than it already is. I think I am ready for an upgrade. Any suggestions on good hydration systems? I don't like bottle vests or carriers...looking for something with at least a 70 oz bladder.... I have been killing time looking on line and now I am bleary with reading about too many features.

I have an orange mud pack. I really like it. I have nothing to compare it to this is my first pack. I've had it about a year. Lots of pockets, large bladder options. Might check 'em out.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Erik is on our Strava group if you wanna track him down.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    7/1 = 8 miles
    7/2 = 3 dreadmill miles and 30 minutes strength training
    7/3 = 6 miles

17/125 goal July miles