Done: 6/40 km

3/7/18 Run 4 km Walk 9 km
    2/7/18 Run 2 km Walk 5 km
    1/7/18 Walk 7 km
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    My biggest problem, however, is that my right leg is shorter than my left leg. I spent years (more than a decade) with back pain before figuring that out. It made sense once I knew because the back pain is so much worse after long hikes/walks/runs or just time on my feet. I do notice it when I'm standing straight on level ground. Unfortunately, I don't know what I can actually do about it. So I just end up dealing with pain and re-aligning my back regularly. If I lay on my back and move the right way on a foam roller, I can get it pretty much back to where it should be again. Unfortunately, I just have to redo this often. Every few days when it gets bad enough to bother me or every few hours if I really want to get it right.

Can you wear insole in your right shoe to balance you out?

It would need to be so big that my foot wouldn't fit in the shoe with the insole then.
    Hugs for all the awesome support! This was a nice way to start off July.

@MegaMooseEsq Excellent!

On running the same direction: My normal week-day route ends up being mostly around a loop at the city park. The loop has a couple options in the middle, so I can do figure 8's or just the outside loop, or whatever. I try to mix it up to avoid boredom and to not tun the same way every time. I still get some boredom, and I don't exactly track how many times I go each direction but hope that my random changes are enough.

My biggest problem, however, is that my right leg is shorter than my left leg. I spent years (more than a decade) with back pain before figuring that out. It made sense once I knew because the back pain is so much worse after long hikes/walks/runs or just time on my feet. I do notice it when I'm standing straight on level ground. Unfortunately, I don't know what I can actually do about it. So I just end up dealing with pain and re-aligning my back regularly. If I lay on my back and move the right way on a foam roller, I can get it pretty much back to where it should be again. Unfortunately, I just have to redo this often. Every few days when it gets bad enough to bother me or every few hours if I really want to get it right.

I can see how that would create problems! My sister has the same issue but found out about it in high school after failing a scoliosis screening, so she's had time to adjust - I think she wears a lift most of the time. I'm not sure what is going on with my gait but I definitely wear through my right shoes quickly and have been working with mild knee pain primarily in my right knee related to both lifting and running.

I started noticing this back pain as a teenager, but don't have scoliosis and always passed that. It was really frustrating when I was a teenager. I would complain about back pain and then they would check for scoliosis under the false assumption that the only cause for back pain in a teenager is scoliosis. Since I didn't have scoliosis and still insisted I had back pain, they would refer me to a psychiatrist. Then I would tell the psychiatrist the same thing. Since it apparently seemed to the psychiatrist that I believed something that he decided wasn't real, he misdiagnosed me with schizophrenia (I'm not making this up) and as having delusions. Eventually, I just realized nobody would ever believe me and I would just have to live with the pain. It wasn't until I was an adult that I finally decided to try again under the assumption that they would take me more seriously. The difference (aside from age) is I actually went to a chiropractor rather than an MD. It took 1 visit to form a hypothesis and measure my legs to confirm. My parents thought MD's were the way to go and didn't think chiropractors were worthwhile. *sigh*

Oh wow, that's infuriating! I don't remember the details of how it went down with my sister, just that she got sent to the doctor for a follow-up after a scoliosis screening (I think it involved crossing your legs and touching your toes?) and the doc was all "not scoliosis, just a short leg" and there you go. I'm glad you were finally able to figure it out, but it stinks that it took so long.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Since it apparently seemed to the psychiatrist that I believed something that he decided wasn't real, he misdiagnosed me with schizophrenia (I'm not making this up) and as having delusions.
    Shlt.... that would have been a seriously amazing delusion to have. I can see thinking you were the Messiah, or could fly, or be the starting quarterback for the Packers, but what kid would be deluded about having a leg that was too long... or too short (do you know for sure which it is?) This is why shrinks get a bad rep.... I hope he didn't actually medicate you...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Since it apparently seemed to the psychiatrist that I believed something that he decided wasn't real, he misdiagnosed me with schizophrenia (I'm not making this up) and as having delusions.
    Shlt.... that would have been a seriously amazing delusion to have. I can see thinking you were the Messiah, or could fly, or be the starting quarterback for the Packers, but what kid would be deluded about having a leg that was too long... or too short (do you know for sure which it is?) This is why shrinks get a bad rep.... I hope he didn't actually medicate you...

I didn't know at the time that my leg was too short. I had back pain and had no idea why. Since the MD's could find nothing wrong after only checking for scoliosis and I continued to insist I had back pain, it was so extraordinarily crazy apparently that the only plausible explanation was that I'm delusional.

Yes, he did medicate me and that caused even more problems... after the first dose, I slept 27 hours straight. Going forward, I had no energy.

Anyway, I like the idea that one leg is too short rather than that the other is too long. I'm short enough as it is... to lose another inch just doesn't work for me.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Dang man. Maybe we just need to file your bones down till they match. :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Dang man. Maybe we just need to file your bones down till they match. :)

If I keep having knee problems, that might just happen by itself.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Camber cul de sac question:

I live on a cul de sac road off a busy highway. I always run the same direction because at the end of the culd de sac I want to be running toward traffic. .

The discussion on camber has be wondering if I should try running the other direction first and not be running toward traffic at the end of the road?
  • LaDispute57
    Options

My legs were a bit off in length as well due to arthritis since I was a kid, but when I got my hips replaced the second time my surgeon actually did make adjustments with the parts to even things out a bit. The difference in length is now negligible.
  • joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    ]July 1 - 10 km club run
    July 2 - 22 km long run
    July 3 - sick
    July 4 - still sick

With the dreaded lurgy

• LaDispute57
    Options
    @joannedrummond5 Lol... Is that like getting cooties?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq - Congrats on your sub 10 mile!! Your BIL is definitely giving you good advice to avoid the sidewalks. In addition to being a harder surface, they also generally have more trip hazards and sometimes decapitation threats from tree limbs. And I believe the word you are looking for is camber. If you run on the streets or on a loop path, it is also good to run in different directions so that you are not always turning on the same leg. This is more likely to have an impact on your knees, whereas camber is more likely to affect your hips and back. If you run in neighborhoods with cul-de-sacs, alternate the direction in which you turn on every cul-de-sac to help balance out the impact on your knees.

Where it is safe to do so (light to no traffic) I run towards the middle of the street as the sides tend to be more canted and much harder on knees and ankles. Definitely cannot do this on any street with traffic though.

Awesome on the sub-10 mile!! WhooHoo
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    Camber cul de sac question:

I live on a cul de sac road off a busy highway. I always run the same direction because at the end of the culd de sac I want to be running toward traffic. .

The discussion on camber has be wondering if I should try running the other direction first and not be running toward traffic at the end of the road?

@bride001 I run around cul de sacs all the time on my runs. Sometimes 14 of them in one run. I have some mental thing that I need to go counter clockwise, I don’t think it’s affected me at all.
  • LaDispute57
    edited July 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Where it is safe to do so (light to no traffic) I run towards the middle of the street as the sides tend to be more canted and much harder on knees and ankles. Definitely cannot do this on any street with traffic though.

I do this all the time... and run with traffic as opposed to against it... I risk being road pizza to avoid the deadly "camber knee". But then, trail running solves all that....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq - Congrats on your sub 10 mile!! Your BIL is definitely giving you good advice to avoid the sidewalks. In addition to being a harder surface, they also generally have more trip hazards and sometimes decapitation threats from tree limbs. And I believe the word you are looking for is camber. If you run on the streets or on a loop path, it is also good to run in different directions so that you are not always turning on the same leg. This is more likely to have an impact on your knees, whereas camber is more likely to affect your hips and back. If you run in neighborhoods with cul-de-sacs, alternate the direction in which you turn on every cul-de-sac to help balance out the impact on your knees.

I think this may have come across wrong. When I read it back now, it sounds like I was giving horrible advice! I never meant to suggest that you should run with your back to traffic. You should always run with it. Sorry if that created confusion. What I meant is that if you run on a circular path or a track, change your direction so that you are not always turning on the same leg. Same goes with cul-de-sacs. Usually these are quiet, low traffic neighborhoods where you can cross the street and change the direction in which you turn around. I have a lot of cul-de-sacs in my neighborhood, so I try to alternate the direction I am turning on each one.

As far as camber, there's not a whole lot you can do about it other than picking streets with a low camber or sticking to paved pathways. If you do most of your running on roads, you are always going to be a bit out of balance, so account for it where you can.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @JulieS3103 I did. :smile: I have run the DC half for 3 years now. AND they have a 5k. Not everything is open, but it is still nice to be up there and the lovely scenery.

I ran the north olympic discovery marathon (half) in Port Angeles Washington and i liked that one so if anyone is over there or wants a destination race. the pasta dinner was great and had an ice cream bar. you run by the water. idk if i'd stay in port angeles again. maybe forks or sequim

i'm sure we've asked but what is everyone's favorite race
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 - I have an ultra friend how is an Orange Mud ambassador - she has used their packs for a few years now and likely has a discount code on her blog site. I know there is also at least one review but you may need to search for it there.
    If anyone is interested she finished Western States in under 23 hours was 21st female and 71st overall (299 total finishers, 60 women and 70 DNF) and has her race report on her blog. 6 months ago she fell while working out down a flight of cement steps resulting in a pretty severe concussion.
    https://thwisp.wordpress.com
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    90% of the time I run against traffic because almost being hit by cars multiple times I like to at least see it coming to keep it at almost being hit. People in Phoenix do not believe in: stop signs, speed limits, or any other such pesky rule.

The other 10% of the time I either choose to run with traffic for a change or it's the safer side of the street (aka there is a sidewalk).