• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,992 Member
    Options
    uly goal: 80 miles

7/1: 7.6 miles
    7/3: 4.2 miles
    7/5: 4.6 miles

16.4/80 miles

Today's run was 4.6 miles. It was a good run. It was a little less hot this morning than it has been but still very humid. It was not quite light when I got out there and it was cloudy so it seemed weirdly dark when I was starting out. But then when I headed back East I had a nice breeze that was cooling me down and the sun looked really pretty coming through the clouds that were finally starting to break a little.

@shanaber Poor Hobbes. Our dogs hate fireworks too and usually we have the same problems with neighbors shooting off fireworks since we live about a quarter mile from the city limits. This year though they banned all fireworks in the county because of some fires in our county earlier in the week and in the county just to the east of us. As of yesterday the fire east of us had burned over 3000 acres and was only 40% contained and yet there were still tons of people complaining about them cancelling the fireworks. It was really kind of a relief to me since it is always such a problem for the dogs.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    11.05 miles this morning. I took today and tomorrow off from work so I didn't have to get up super early to beat most of the heat and get a run before work. I'm really annoyed at how many people let their dogs wander around their yard without a leash. Sure, many of them know to stay in the yard, but there was one - I was going by the house and there were 4 dogs running around the un-fenced front yard. Immediately, they all started barking and came up to the edge of the yard. Except 1 of them that didn't recognized the boundary and came into the street chasing after me. I stopped, turned and leaned forward and down towards it, and yelled "back!" It was confused at first and then retreated. Seriously, I think it would have bitten me if I hadn't done something.

exercise.png
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Sun 7/1 crosstrain: 60 minutes elliptical
    Mon 7/2 run: 3.15 miles
    Tue 7/3 crosstrain: 60 minutes elliptical
    Wed 7/4 run: 3.14 miles
    Thu 7/5 run: 3.15 miles
    9.44 of 60 completed

UPCOMING RACES
    August 25th - Camp New Hope 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
  • AprilRN10
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Good job on your race @rheddmobile.and @AprilRN10. I know they were hot and humid, like it is across the whole country! I think we should move July 4th to November :#

Thank you. I am over the heat. It was even worse this morning!
  • AprilRN10
    Options
    I hate it too. A few weeks ago, I actually got knocked down from behind on one of my runs by an unattended dog. It took me about 10 minutes to get free of it.
    11.05 miles this morning. I took today and tomorrow off from work so I didn't have to get up super early to beat most of the heat and get a run before work. I'm really annoyed at how many people let their dogs wander around their yard without a leash. Sure, many of them know to stay in the yard, but there was one - I was going by the house and there were 4 dogs running around the un-fenced front yard. Immediately, they all started barking and came up to the edge of the yard. Except 1 of them that didn't recognized the boundary and came into the street chasing after me. I stopped, turned and leaned forward and down towards it, and yelled "back!" It was confused at first and then retreated. Seriously, I think it would have bitten me if I hadn't done something.

exercise.png

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Deceptively hot 73 degrees. Very high humidity. Was pretty dang tough to get up when my mental alarm went off at 3:45am after the late night concert and fireworks. But I got up and slogged through it. Took advice of recent posts and ran usual morning 10k backwards (not literally, but in the reverse direction). But honestly, I DID see a guy running backwards a couple days ago...guess he misunderstood the jist of the 'backwards' concept.

exercise.png

There was a local character in the town I grew up in who always ran backwards wearing a suit. That was his thing. It takes all types!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @noblsheep - that looks like a beautiful course!

@orphia - I do love Hobbes and I also knew I had to run with him yesterday hot or not. There are other days where it will be fine for him not to run and we can deal with his afternoon/evening craziness but not when we are having friends over, coupled with the fireworks. Vizslas are incredibly 'busy' dogs and if you don't exercise them or give them an outlet they will make one and it is pretty likely something you would not want :smile:

@Scott6255 - There is a lady who walks the paved trail where I run with her dogs, backwards. She says it is to improve her perception and stability as she ages. She really moves along but I would be worried about stepping or tripping over the dogs who are small and run ahead of her where she can't see them.

@girlinahat - Love the guinea pigs! So cute!

@kgirlhart - Thanks! Here the issue isn't organized fireworks or even the allowed fireworks. It is all the illegal firecrackers, rockets, etc. that people shoot off. There are some in our area that launch even the big ones like the organized displays use. There was a big push this year to stop it with some really hefty fines if you got caught. The police had helicopters out all week and they were encouraging people to call in - not sure that it made much of a difference though. It amazes me because we also have such a big fire risk and people don't think it will be a problem...

@midwesterner85 - Everything I have read about dogs who chase says the most important thing is to stop running like you did. If you keep running it is like you are prey or they think it is a game. That assumes you do see them and not have them tackle you from behind like the one that hit @AprilRN10!
    I just finished week four of my eight week Couch to 5K app and I'm feeling pretty accomplished. I'm still not a runner but I did run 16 minutes today (2 three minute stretches and 2 five minute stretches) which I never thought I would ever be able to do. Hubby and I are planning on signing up for a 5k in October in addition to the Girls on the Run 5k and as I'm planning my vacation this month I'm looking for good places to run by our hotel. This is definitely a different lifestyle and I think I like it!
    @ladysnickerdoo - you definitely are a runner! You run - therefore you are a runner!!

I am thinking about heading over to the local gym this morning to run on the treadmill. Don't really want to but it will be my last opportunity to run until next week. I also have strength training later this afternoon. Oh and an update on the heat here... Current forecast for tomorrow's high at the agility trial is 117! Hoping we will be finished before noon but it depends on how many people and dogs actually show up.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I just discovered that my favorite fiction writer wrote a memoir about training for the NYC marathon. I am so excited to read this book!

https://www.amazon.com/What-Talk-About-When-Running/dp/0307269191/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=&dpID=41ynWtTe3GL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=detail
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

exercise.png

@midwesterner85 Have you thought about running with a can of mace? It would defiantly stop a dog from attacking.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    July goal is 150 miles

7/1 5.00............ 5.00/145.00
    7/2 Rest............ 5.00/145.00
    7/3 7.00............12.00/138.00
    7/4 5.00............17.00/133.00
    7/5 7.00............24.00/126.00

Upcoming races:

October 20: Sinnemahone Ultra Marathon Trail Race (50K)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I haven't answered some of the questions yet to here goes..
    I am in Des Moines, Iowa. Lived here most of my life, except for three years in Las Vegas.

My story is nothing special.....

It's not nothing special. It does take an effort to change ourselves. That, at times, seems to take special powers.

Way to go you!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7/1 – 5
    7/2 – 0
    7/3 – 5
    7/4 – 4
    7/5 – 0

14 out of 60 miles

@MegaMooseEsq excellent race and pictures! Congrats!!!
    @shanaber don’t you just hate those “have a nice walk” people, seriously do you not see at least one foot off the ground, that is running. Luckily loud noises like fireworks don’t bother Macy, poor Hobbs. My entire facebook feed is full of lost doggies from last night.
    @noblsheep what a great picture
    @girlinahat what cute little guinea pigs
    @rheddmobile dang that is wrong, getting burned at fireworks! What a night.
    @midwesterner85 I’m glad the dog didn’t get a chunk of you
    Fireworks are legal out in the county where I live and it’s like being in a war zone every night for a week around the 4th. Starting at 7:00 and sometimes ending at 11:00. People the 4th is one day! Give the rest of the week a break.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @amymoreorless I've thought about bear spray and I've thought about carrying a pistol. I do have a permit to carry, but honestly don't take it running because of the extra weight, bounce, and I generally dress light enough that it is hard to conceal. Technically where I live, I can carry it openly with my permit, but my opinion is that doing so invites trouble and attention.

@skippygirlsmom My state used to just allow little stuff on the ground - sparklers, snakes, etc. Last year was the first year where things that go up in the air were allowed for private citizens. Everyone went crazy. There was a house fire in my town even that was caused by a firework (there were 2 big fires one year a very long time ago, one of which took out an entire town... that is why they were made illegal). Anyway, I thought it went overboard last year because it was the first time it was allowed here legally. And I hoped it would be better this year, but it isn't. Nobody even follows the dates and times that they are allowed either. It's bothersome.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Ha ha - all your comments about continual fireworks are EXACTLY the same things we say around 5th November.

Here’s a question though - when WE do fireworks it’s dark. So you can have family friendly displays at 6pm, do the Ooo-aahhh thing, and then go home again (preferably after sticking your jaw together with a toffee apple). So how does it work when it’s still light late? And we usually have accompanying bonfires (it IS known as Bonfire Night) because, well you can imagine November in the U.K. - but you guys are all hot and sweaty so I’m guessing that doesn’t happen!!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 this year we had rain right before it got dark so hopefully that helped stop anyone's house from catching on fire. People are just careless.

@girlinahat almost all the firework displays start at 9:00 pm and end within an hour at the most. It's dark by 9:00 pretty much all over the United States. If people just did their stuff around 9:00 or even 9:30 and got it over with. But NOOOO there were fireworks this past weekend, because people were having parties then. Then a little bit at night Sunday and Monday, more on Tuesday night (some big town did their displays on Tuesday since most work today), then all kinds of displays last night. I'm sure tonight we'll have the "oops didn't use all my stuff" people setting stuff off tonight too.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Ha ha - all your comments about continual fireworks are EXACTLY the same things we say around 5th November.

Here’s a question though - when WE do fireworks it’s dark. So you can have family friendly displays at 6pm, do the Ooo-aahhh thing, and then go home again (preferably after sticking your jaw together with a toffee apple). So how does it work when it’s still light late? And we usually have accompanying bonfires (it IS known as Bonfire Night) because, well you can imagine November in the U.K. - but you guys are all hot and sweaty so I’m guessing that doesn’t happen!!!

Generally official fireworks don't start until dark, so unofficial fireworks usually start when it's still light out and can go on really late depending on laws/enforcement of laws/general attitudes in your area. As a kid, staying up late was part of the fun of the 4th. As a cranky grownup who got up at 5AM to run a race, I'd have happily gone to bed while it was still light out yesterday but thankfully managed to drop off as soon as the big displays were done.

I've never lived or heard of anywhere in the US that bonfires were a part of the 4th of July celebration. It's a parades, carnivals, BBQs and fireworks kind of holiday. I grew up in a part of California where bonfires aren't really a thing period because of fire danger, but even here in the Midwest I don't really associate bonfires with any particular holiday. More just a fun summer night thing.