Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Like @juliet3455 I get a lot more daylight than many of you! Sunrise today was 5:15 AM and sunset is 10:02 PM. That means I can run without worrying about reflective gear or lights between 4:30AM and around 10:45PM, maybe a little longer if I pick my route carefully so I'm not interacting with traffic or trip hazards.

But it also means I'm running in the dark at 4PM in the winter. So...

@sarahthes You sound like you're even further north than I am south.

It starts getting light at 7:30 am at the moment, so all my morning runs are in the dark.

@Avidkeo Nice 10 km!!

Today I did my 17th stint as parkrun Run Director.

A nervous moment when the rain on the phone made the timekeeper's app add a bunch of results, but we sorted it out partly because we had the backup timekeeper's results.

Happy it all went well.

Thanks! And well done doing the director role! I've never done a parkrun, out nearest is 2hrs away
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I am just north of 53°N. @juliet3455 is even further to the north than I am!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I am just north of 53°N. @juliet3455 is even further to the north than I am!

Wow, you are way up there! I am only at 40N. Sunset is 8:53 pm and sunrise is 5:57 am.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Wow, you are way up there! I am only at 40N. Sunset is 8:53 pm and sunrise is 5:57 am.

I grew up on the 49th parallel. 25 minutes from the border. Moving to Edmonton for university was an adjustment, and then moving back in with my parents for a few years was another adjustment, and then moving back to Edmonton with an American husband in tow was another adjustment. But we've been here 13 years now so we are mostly used to it.

Actually, I don't think my husband will ever be used to the winter weather.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Temps have cooled, crazy long 18 miles. Guess I earned yesterday's rest day.

That's CRAZY good! I'd say that rest day was well timed. Now you probably deserve another one tomorrow ;)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Another point of anecdata for you: When Asics discontinued the 33-M, I tried Mizuno Wave Riders as my walking shoes. Felt great, but I got ankle twinges before the tread wore out, using them only for walking. New shoes fixed the problem. I had thought I was just getting old and finicky and needed better shoes than when I was younger; but discussion here makes me wonder if they just wear out fast.

Not that big a deal for my walking shoes. I run mostly in Saucony Kinvaras, and their lifespan for the way I use them is fairly predictable.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    1.00 mike 7/6/18
    2.05 miles 7/7/18

Total: 4.62/ 30

Having terrible shin splints and I’m hoping they get better, but I’m glad I haven’t given up yet!

Ditto on the shoes. In the meantime, KT tape worked wonders when I had shin pain last time.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless - I am FAR from any kind of expert - but a few years ago I sat through a clinic taught by a sports physician (can't think of his name but he was the NY Giants physician so he knew what he was talking about). At any rate - he claimed every runner should grab two salt packets from a restaurant for long races. A few miles into the run, open up a packet, spread a little in the palm of your hand, and lick it off. Repeat once or twice more depending on heat and miles. It was the first time I heard anyone say that too much water w/o replenishing sodium is a bad combination.

That same physician raved about how beneficial ice baths are. I've never done his salt suggestion - but the year I trained for the Chicago Marathon I took ice baths after almost every single long run and I really do credit them for keeping me injury free and somewhat pain free. The initial plunge is hard but it really did feel good on my muscles.

We've had a glorious break in the heat/humidity. Ran 6 this morning - although my 4-legged buddy Tony only made it 4. He's just such a black hairy beast that any heat and sun wears him down.

exercise.png