July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent It's worth a try... I have to order more... My dad decided to clean the pantry and threw out a virtually brand new bag because he didn't know what it was. I was almost ready to conclude that making it to 85 was good enough for him.... >:)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent It's worth a try... I have to order more... My dad decided to clean the pantry and threw out a virtually brand new bag because he didn't know what it was. I was almost ready to conclude that making it to 85 was good enough for him.... >:)

I left mine in NJ while visiting my Mom and she was all like "Oh well, just get it next time your out. "
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @shanaber sadly our pool always gets packed so there’s never really any room to do any laps
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I’m sorry you aren’t feeling well Until you said you were sick I was going to recommend Mio sport with electrolytes. Skip was getting sick, like pass out during a race sick. Now she alternates it with water everyday and has been fine. I drink it too. You can buy it in any food store by the powered drinks. Feel better.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 3.1
    07/02/18 :::: 5.5 :::: 8.6
    07/03/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 11.5
    07/04/18 :::: 5.6 :::: 17.1
    07/05/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.1
    07/06/18 :::: 2.0 :::: 19.2

Yesterday was a total rest day, and much appreciated. Just a short 2 miles today. I have a 15k race on Sunday, so went to packet pick-up this afternoon. This is the biggest race I've done so far by a long shot, with something like 18,000 people between the 15k and the 5k. The expo was fun, they had food trucks and if I hadn't just had a lunch meeting I would have really dug in. But I still had ice cream of course. I'm excited for the race, I think the crowd will be fun. I'm doing this with my friend, this was her goal race, so I'll probably run it at her pace and use it more as a long run than a race. But we'll see.

Upcoming races:
    7/8/18 Boilermaker 15K, Utica NY
    7/28/18 Chocolate Challenge 5k, Syracuse NY
    8/19/18 Falmouth Road Race (7 miles), Falmouth, MA
    8/26/18 18.12 Challenge, Sackets Harbor, NY
    10/28/18 Marine Corps Marathon, Arlington VA

@amymoreorless sorry you are sick! Sounded like a heat sickness, maybe the heat just made it worse. I made note of the recommendations myself, need to work more on fueling and electrolytes.

Hoping everyone working through injuries is on the mend. Glad the heat has broken for many of us, but stay hydrated and run smart this weekend. I'm currently sitting out on my patio in a long sleeve shirt because the breeze was making me a bit chilly. I love it!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @marisap2010, @amymoreorless and @Avidkeo - I wanted to love NB for all of those reasons but they rubbed wrong on the side of my foot. I wanted them to have a more cushioned pair for my easy runs when my legs were more tired. I run in pretty minimal 0 drop shoes otherwise. When I started running I wore Mizunos only, but they wore out super fast (might have had to do with my weight though). Have you had any issues with them not lasting as long as you would expect, 3-400 miles?
    @amymoreorless - That sounds so scary but my first thought was extreme dehydration. I am not a huge NUUN fan either but have found that the Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration works great, don't cause me any stomach issues and I like the taste. They have the powder you mix with water and they also have what I would call 'fruit drops'. I use those on all my long runs. Definitely need something with electrolytes! Also feeling sick still could be related to the dehydration if that is what it was. It takes your body a while to come back to normal afterwards.

Went to the agility trial this morning and it was hot, hot, hot... unfortunately it is just as hot at home (114F!). I am waiting for a friend to drop by some tickets then I am heading to the gym and the treadmill.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Question for sweaty runners and heat stress issues:

Apologies if this is TMI...

I am pretty sure I gave myself some kind of heat stress on my run this morning. Either that, or I got some kind of very short lasting illness. I got very weak at mile 11 out of 12 - stomach cramping, nausea, GI upset, LOTS of sweating, foot cramps, and headache. After I got home (and finished vomiting), I took a cool shower and passed out for a few hours. I feel much better now - just tired.

I am a very heavy sweating runner so I plan my route around water sources. I filled my water bottle up 3 times on my run. It is a large handheld Nathan hydration thing. I also downed a bottle of gateraid before starting.

I am wondering if I developed a low-sodium issue.... I know a few runners who carry salt tablets with them on long runs. Has anyone tried that? Does it help? I have tried NUUN tablets in the past but they tear my stomach up. Are there better alternative brands? I have been craving salt like mad this past month. I am wondering if long runs in the heat are depleting my reserves.

One thing you might try for a week or two is to soak in a warm epsom salt bath. The skin absorbs a good amount of mag and other things. Thought to detoxify. Maybe research optimum time and temp but 12-40 min is one standard.
    Just don’t overdo in one bath.
    Can start as a foot soak too.

Basic info:
    https://draxe.com/epsom-salt/
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I can't comment on Miles because I haven't really kept track or trained in earnest before. I got my current pair in November last year and absolutely love them, never had an issue. That said I think they are starting to wear because my left foot was cramping a little, which for me is a fit issue I think. So time to get a new pair, especially for long runs
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    7/1: 4.5 miles
    7/3: 2.5 miles
    7/4: 6.3 miles
    7/6: 3 miles

Total: 16.3/85

Upcoming Races:
    Wineglass Marathon 9/30

3 easy miles tonight. I’ll get in a longer run in the morning when it is *hopefully* a little cooler.

@shanaber I honestly don’t keep close track of the miles on my shoes, but I haven’t had a big problem with the Mizunos wearing out too quickly. I have a few pair and rotate through them though, so I might not be the best person to ask.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Oh i forget to update my totals. 10k this morning so 28/90km done!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the Mizuno's. I have been avoiding them but maybe it is time to check them out again.

So we broke heat records today from the mid 1830's! I may have mentioned earlier that it hit 114 in Anaheim! We have never seen it that hot here and we have lived her for a long time (my husband grew up in the area). Hobbes and I were home from the agility trial a bit after noon but it was already over 110 there. All the dogs were running slow as you would expect. I felt bad for the judges and others who had to be there all day! 2 more days of it which should hopefully be a bit cooler!

I did not even contemplate running outside. I headed over to the gym and ran intervals on the treadmill. I haven't run on a treadmill in a while so it ended up being kind of fun. Got in 4.25 per the treadmill but Strava said not that much. Hmmm - I'm going with the treadmill :lol:

Date........Miles.......Total
    06/01......9.45.......9.45
    07/01......7.64.......7.64
    07/02......0.00.......7.64
    07/03......5.01.....12.65
    07/04......8.36.....21.01
    07/05......0.00.....21.01
    07/06......4.25.....25.26

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming races. Let me know if you will be running them too.
    02/04/18 - Surf City Half Marathon
    05/05/18 - Cinco de Miles 5k

07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    12/15/18 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/03/19 - Surf City Half Marathon
    05/11/19 - Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon