July 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Sweat on someone's hands doesn't bother me, but sweat is the least of what gets on hands. Runners also blow snot rockets, and use porta potties which have washing stations with no water in the pumps, and so on. Yeah, I am bothered, I have lupus and diabetes and an illness which is minor to someone else could kill me. And I know I'm not the only immune-compromised runner out there - how many runners are cancer survivors? Other people's hands are not good things to have on your food!

Ditto with the autoimmune problems. I take meds on occasion to stop my immune system from freaking out. It makes me a paranoid germaphobe.

I usually pass on all the free runners fuel and bring my own. Except for needed water & orange slices... I remember orange slices being like little hydration / glucose / yummy flavor gifts from heaven when I ran a marathon last year. Bless those people. I still think of them every time I eat an orange now... LOL

Yeah, I bring my own fuel, never sure what I can depend on when I am out there. Mile 20 is not when you want to find out that they have nothing you can eat. I do depend on them for supplemental fluids though. It is just too much weight to carry otherwise.

But I go looking for the oranges :D
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Add me to the list of carrying what I need due to autoimmune disease!

I'll grab Gatorade at stations and whatever I can at the end.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    What does everyone eat before an early morning run? I need something and have been having a piece of toast but having longer runs I need something I can eat quickly when I get up. I was thinking of energy chews.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    There's no way I can possibly catch up on all I've missed here, but I did skim through it all.

I don't run long enough distances to have much of an opinion on aid stations beyond the hygiene factor. As a healthcare professional I am freaked out by shared bowls/platters of food. I carry a small hand sanitizer with me to races that I use after using the porta potty (nasty things) and before eating or drinking anything when I am finished with the race. I don't eat or drink anything during my races because I only run shorter distances, but I am working on increasing that!

Sun 7/1 crosstrain: 60 minutes elliptical and triceps/back
    Mon 7/2 run: 3.15 miles
    Tue 7/3 crosstrain: 60 minutes elliptical and biceps/shoulders/abs
    Wed 7/4 run: 3.14 miles
    Thu 7/5 run: 3.15 miles
    Fri 7/6 run: 4 miles
    Sat 7/7 planned rest
    Sun 7/8 planned rest
    Mon 7/9 crosstrain: 45 minutes elliptical and legs/back
    13.44 of 60 completed

UPCOMING RACES
    August 25th - Camp New Hope 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,387 Member
    I am one of those heavy sweaters also. I am not so sure if it is my hands sweating or sweat running down my arms but I typically have it dripping off my hands as well as my hat brim so no I wouldn't put my hands into any bowl of food that someone else would need to eat from... I already mentioned watermelon pieces as my favorite race food (can be arranged on a tray). Orange slices, especially if cold, would be right up there too. I have to be careful with my race fuel because most things make me super thirsty so I always carry my own. I have had pretzels though at a hot race because I needed the salt. I actually didn't eat much of the pretzel trying to just get the salt off.
    Also there are cups (as well as plates and 'plastic ware', napkins etc.) that are fully compostable in all sizes and types. The state of Washington require them to be used for any event over a certain size. We had to have them for our daughter's wedding there.

I do hate all the trash thrown on the ground in road races - along the entire course... I don't take anything in wrappers. Everything goes in a single small plastic zip bag and in my pocket and if something should happen to have a wrapper it goes back in my pocket. I am also one of those people who make a point of making sure my water cup goes into the provided trash can or bag. Yes there are volunteers to take care of it but come on - it just gets ridiculous at the bigger races.

@_nikkiwolf_ - I train 2-3 days/week and used to train or run every day. My trainer wanted me to have at least 1 full rest day without either activity (walking is ok or going for an easy swim). So now I run M-T-TH-F-S with Wednesday and Sunday as rest days and run my long run on Saturdays or sometimes Fridays. I train T-TH and sometimes on Sunday, with Tuesday typically being having lower body focus so I can recover on Wednesday.

@RunsOnEspresso - depending on how far I am running I might have a cup of oatmeal with some chopped walnuts (no milk) or toast with PB and a sliced banana on top for a longer run. The oatmeal can be made ahead and reheated. I also always have a protein bar in the morning within 30-45 mins of getting up (have to wait because of medications I take). Then have my pre-run food right before heading out.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member

exercise.png
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    What does everyone eat before an early morning run? I need something and have been having a piece of toast but having longer runs I need something I can eat quickly when I get up. I was thinking of energy chews.

My go to is Greek yoghurt with nuts and seeds, fruit compote, raisins and a banana. Delish and really quick.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member

I've been having a banana, works for me for runs up to 7ish km. Anything longer I need a proper meal about 1.5hrs before
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    What do I eat before I run? I have found that if I eat less than 2-3 hours before a run, I am nauseated the entire run. Less than 3 miles and I can eat fruit, oatmeal, or toast 2 hours before. More than 3 miles and it needs to be closer to 3 hours and I need protein too. I like to put jif peanut powder in oatmeal for that.

I usually run 3-4 times and lift 2-3 times a week depending on my work schedule. I do them on different days with 1 or 2 full rest days.

My current 10k training plan has me running 5 days, though. So currently I am running in the morning and lifting in the evening, but that is not my usual. I have one full rest day. It depends what week it is because I have a weird schedule. I also work 6p to 7a.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member

I don't eat anything or carry water for runs 10 miles or less.... For longer runs I just do peanut butter on an English muffin and maybe take a granola bar with me. If I am feeling particularly ambitious, (which I do during the last 10 weeks of my training plans) I will make a batch of spelt crepes the night before and then spread them with almond butter, Chia seeds and a tiny bit of honey, roll them up and carry them in my camelbak. I also will take dates stuffed with walnuts or almonds as a more natural energy "chew".
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    1HK2m8.png

0Ncnm8.png
  • PastorVincent
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    I run for fun, because it makes me feel good. At least an hour, at least 5 days/week.

ETA: Just found this thread, and decided to join in the fun. Can I post my Fitbit info instead of adding a ticker?

Sure! Everyone does it their own way. many of us do not use the graphical trackers. So no biggie :)
  • PastorVincent
    07/01/2018 - 0 :(
    07/02/2018 - 0 :(
    07/03/2018 - 0 :(
    07/04/2018 - 13.1 miles - The sun tried to kill me
    07/05/2018 - 0 :(
    07/06/2018 - 8 miles - 8:41 pace
    07/07/2018 - 13.1 miles
    07/08/2018 - 0 - went walking with wife instead :)
    07/09/2018 - 9 miles - 9:34

Upcoming Races:

07/20/18 - Liberty Get Well Mile
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them - need to find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Yah that's all stuff I eat when I have time. I literally need to hop out of bed, shovel something that requires no heating/prep and get out the door. Otherwise I will be late for work. And I can't get up before 4, that's already a struggle.

And I can't not eat anything or I get a headache that won't go away and shakey.