July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thank @shanaber the good thing is her knees didn't hurt at all while running yesterday so I'm sure it's just a hold over from the shoes. We are going to the doctor tomorrow though. She has talked to her college coach and he said don't worry he believes it the shoes too.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile On night running, I am a guy and have little to no fear of sketchy areas anyway.

But, I have 2 lights for some runs. A headlamp and a handheld running flashlight. The 2 lights are for near and far and also the handheld helps with pointing at specific spots. On the bottom is a button that emits a very loud siren noise. Presumably that would scare any attacker.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Morning all. I'm feeling a bit better but still not 100% so no run today. Bit ill definitely be getting into it again tomorrow. I actually woke at 530am, contemplated going out, decided against it and slept for another hour. I really needed that sleep cause usually once I'm awake, I'm awake, even at 530am.

So another couch day, at least its not as bad as yesterday...
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Didn't you say you were from Arizona? One of the ladies in my running group developed heat stress this morning. We complained for most for the run about this:

gzn9ygjlz4u7.png

Someone mentioned it couldn't be worse so (to prove them wrong) I looked up the temperature in Arizona. OMG - You "win" the crappiest summer running weather. A LOW TEMP of 90!?! A high of 113? That's like melt the tread off your running shoes temperature. Just, Ugh. Sorry.

q0zcl294twyy.png
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Didn't you say you were from Arizona? One of the ladies in my running group developed heat stress this morning. We complained for most for the run about this:

gzn9ygjlz4u7.png

Someone mentioned it couldn't be worse so (to prove them wrong) I looked up the temperature in Arizona. OMG - You "win" the crappiest summer running weather. A LOW TEMP of 90!?! A high of 113? That's like melt the tread off your running shoes temperature. Just, Ugh. Sorry.

q0zcl294twyy.png

You guys both have me in Memphis beat as far as heat. But we've got you on humidity! Ours is from 60% to 72% over the same time period. I don't know how weather.com records one value for humidity, is that the average for the day? My hourly thing says it's 95% at the moment. The lowest value for the next ten days is 58%.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm new here and in my intro thread LaDispute57 was kind enough to recommend checking out this challenge thread since I'm a runner (ha...I use that term loosely right now, but I do get out 4 times a week).

I read the opening post, so I'm gathering we provide daily accountability and post our current mileage, whether for the day or the week, while attempting to reach our monthly July goal? Is that correct? :)

Also, seems a good place to stay motivated as well from how lengthy these threads seem to be. A very active bunch, which is nice.

Welcome to the thread! It's also a great place to learn from seasoned runners. I've gotten tips about gear, race etiquette, and all kinds of stuff.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @RunnerGrl1982 Welcome.... and you have it figured out already... The biggest challenge here is keeping up with all the posts... It's a chatty bunch... except for me.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    7/1: 4.5 miles
    7/3: 2.5 miles
    7/4: 6.3 miles
    7/6: 3 miles
    7/7: 5 miles
    7/8: 5.2 miles + 3.3 mile hike
    7/9: 2 miles
    7/13: 3 miles
    7/14: 5 miles
    7/15: 6.5 miles

Total: 43/85

Upcoming Races:
    Wineglass Marathon 9/30

Made it to the gym after lunch and ran 6.5 on the treadmill. I really don’t see how some people only run on treadmills. I find them to be sooooo boring, even with a tv or podcast.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @shanaber all I saw last night was deer.... but skunks and snakes actually crossed my mind as things I might not see until too late... I was also a bit nervous about getting winged by a car... anything else is just too big to worry about. If you notice my equation is if I fall and break my leg, not neck. I am much more worried about being maimed and left to suffer than actually meeting my demise.

@rheddmobile I trip over things enough while walking in daylight, that realistically I cannot get much worse ind the dark while running. In terms of visibility, I try and keep at least half of me in high vis colors, white/neon yellow, etc... I have a headlamp, but friend and I were just discussing that neither of us thought our lamps seemed as bright this year, even after fresh batteries... but we both had still used them with the assumption that even if we couldn’t see any better, maybe at least it made us more visible. Was funny we both had been thru the same thoughts separately.

Thanks for mentioning it, but I can not make it. But you already knew that :)
    Well... the sabbath is Saturday, so you wouldn't be breaking any commandments or anything. You could ride with me and run your sermon past me on the way up and I know a couple of praise songs and recall some traditional hymns from my childhood.

Between the day selected for Sabbath, and traditional hymns from your childhood,I am guessing we have a recovering Adventist among us?

Today I had a running buddy... my friend has to come thru the area to get to her in laws, and she was dropping kids off for a week with the grandparents. So she stopped to run with me on her way back

4.1 today =23/50 for the month.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @RunnerGrl1982 Welcome. Your understanding about the thread is correct. But it is very informal. Just jump in to any post that you are interested in or you want to add to.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Reading all the creatures some of u have to deal with I don't thinks I would even venture out in the daylight!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thanks @LaDispute57. No lie, I can see where it can get tough to keep up with all the chatter!

Hey @rheddmobile! Thanks for the welcome!

@Scott6255 Thanks for the tip. I'm just getting my feet wet here, so I'm sure as I get a bit more comfortable; I'll participate a bit more in threads.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Re running at night: I got back at 10:40 a few nights ago and it wasn't full dark yet. I've seen coyotes in my neighbourhood but there are enough rabbits that they don't bother with people much. My neighbourhood is a fairly wealthy suburban area. There's a fair bit of petty crime, e.g. theft from vehicle type stuff, but that tends to be after midnight based on the security camera footage I've seen on the community Facebook page. I don't run that late.

I'm a night owl not a morning person. Morning runs are super difficult for me.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Yup, I'm in Phoenix. And this week the humidity has been super high, so no it's a "dry heat"! lately. It was 50-something this morning but had been like 80-95 during the week due to monsoons rolling through. Cloud coverage means no glowing ball of doom so that's a nice break. LOL
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I just cleaned out the extra freezer so thankfully I do have the room and I’m on my last batch...SF Strawberry. Surprisingly I haven’t actually wanted to eat any of it. The rest of the family is in heaven, telling me their glad my education is finally paying off and that I clearly should have majored I’m baking & pastry vs culinary as I’ve made cookies, brownies and muffins along with all the ice cream. Lol