July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    July goals 60 miles. Work up to 5 minutes of running. Bike often. Rehab smart.

1---5.52 mtn bike
    2---2.09 run 3(4,4)
    3---5.58 mtn bike
    4---3.33 mile run 5(4,4)
    4---2.43 road bike
    5---3.42 run 7(3,3)
    6---9.04 mtn bike
    7---6.33 5(4-2,3-2,2-2)
    8---3.26 run 7(3-3)
    8---6.48 road bike
    10---3.67 interval run
    12---13.03 mtn bike
    13---3.63 run/walk
    15---6.34 (3,3) hot failure

MILES
    Running 32.1
    Cycling/MTN bike 42.1

Upcoming Races
    July 22 Draper Lake Duathlon (3k,22.5k,3k). Norman OK
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Running challenge
    1 July: 5.30 at 5:09 pace (race pace)
    2 July: yoga
    3 July: 7.01 at 5:45 pace
    4 July: yoga
    5 July: 12.66 at 5:50 pace (“unproductive" according to Garmin)
    6 July: rest
    7 July: yoga
    8 July: 15.2 at 6:01 (slow and steady)
    9 July: yoga
    10 July: 6.0 at 6:02 pace (probably faster but I had a child on a bike in tow who kept needing a push - I certainly had to work harder) plus another 1.8km at about the same pace with similar issues getting the younger daughter to kindy.
    11 July: yoga
    12 July: 10.71 at 5:25 pace - when you’re short on time but you want to go long, you gotta go fast.
    13 July: rest and pizza (and more pizza)
    14 July: sneaky 6.7km to undo some of last night’s pizza damage followed by yoga. Great way to start a Saturday.
    15 July: 16.51 at 5:55 pace. Building up to the Mt Maunganui Half on August 25.

81.89 of 150km for July
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Coyotes: most of them in Phoenix are scared of people. Little dogs and cats are more likely to be grabbed by a coyote. I'd be more afraid of the javelina. They will charge people.

I'm sure there's crime in my neighborhood. I've looked at maps before but it's all burglary or drug-related. There is a police station across the street from my neighborhood but it doesn't make me feel safer since they all leave the station. LOL I'm more worried when I'm downtown because I've been grabbed by a homeless man. I've had co-workers attacked by a homeless man. It happens. I just make sure I'm aware of my surroundings and am not distracted.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    With all those wild animals about no wonder you are all such good runners. I don't have to worry about anything, maybe the occasional fly. We don't get snakes or anything!
  • mmmandyk
    mmmandyk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Between the day selected for Sabbath, and traditional hymns from your childhood,I am guessing we have a recovering Adventist among us?
    Lol... while it is true that I am in recovery for many things (with varying degrees of success), I was not an Adventist. My dad was a preacher for a few years and was my only teacher from 7th to 12th grades, so while I abandoned church over a decade ago, I can hold my own theologically. Hopefully, I can articulate enough sophistry to cajole @PastorVincent into running a sweet race on a Sunday. But he seems pretty devout and probably can't risk skipping church to run with a pagan. :)
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 I think you had a totally valid arguement... but I’m a recovering catholic myself... and tend towards the heathen side... I am dating a recovering Adventist, and the arguement seemed quite familiar from his frame of reference
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    July goal: 80 miles

7/1: 7.6 miles
    7/3: 4.2 miles
    7/5: 4.6 miles
    7/6: 4.3 miles
    7/8: 7.1 miles
    7/10: 4.5 miles
    7/11: 4.5 miles
    7/12: 4.5 miles
    7/15: 8.3 miles

49.6/80 miles

I really enjoyed my long run today. I ran 8.3 miles. No dogs bothered me. It was hot, but there was a pretty good breeze so it was still nice. I guess for all the complaining I do about the heat, I would rather run in warmer weather over freezing weather. I guess I expect to be sweaty when it is hot, but I don't like being cold and sweaty, it seems more like being sick. Of course if it could just be 60°f for all my runs I would be ok with that.

Congrats to all who raced this weekend.

@HonuNui Poor Lily! I'm glad she's ok.

@polskagirl01 That may be the most disgusting thing I have ever heard.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm new here and in my intro thread LaDispute57 was kind enough to recommend checking out this challenge thread since I'm a runner (ha...I use that term loosely right now, but I do get out 4 times a week).

I read the opening post, so I'm gathering we provide daily accountability and post our current mileage, whether for the day or the week, while attempting to reach our monthly July goal? Is that correct? :)

Also, seems a good place to stay motivated as well from how lengthy these threads seem to be. A very active bunch, which is nice.

@RunnerGrl1982 Welcome! There are runners of all levels in these threads. Some that are hoping to run a whole mile someday, and nutcases like me that have run 30-mile races, and even nuttier ppl than me that do 100-mile races. Some of us run 14 min miles, some run 6 min miles. BUT we all support and help each other best we can. It is a good group, IMO.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    There was also the incident where we stopped so I could use a portapotty and discovered that there was a couple making out inside. I have no words.

I had to read that comment more than once cause I just had a mental block about that location and that activity. I must be getting old.

But, I mean, they did not at least lock the door?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    19.04 miles today - slow, but I'm trying to focus on building distance for now so I really am trying not to let my slow pace bother me.

Oh, and I got some sunburn. I thought I had enough sunblock, but apparently not. It was a bit hot, so I ended up stopping a few times to refill beverages (112 oz. total). I drove to a nearby metro area (2 hr. drive) and explored some city trails that I had not visited before. Definitely need to spend more time there for further exploration.

I do not use sunblock, but I am told that it wears off pretty quickly. I am guessing over your 19 miles you probably outran the life expectancy of it. You might want to run when the UV is not so high, or plan to stop and reapply 1/2 through your run.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0715-7k, total-23.4k, goal-90k

Was hoping for an LSD last night. Didn't happen. I was sweating buckets by the second kilometer and had to cut home for a gel at 4k because I was starving. Then I lost all motivation at 6.5km and headed home.

I swear the only thing that kept me moving as long as I did was the 30k race on the horizon.

Upcoming races:
    20181027 Mogan Ultra 30k
    20181118 Shanghai Marathon (maybe)