July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

the HM training program is mostly just distances with FARTLEK thrown in once a week, or a hills run, but the bulk of it is distances building to 20k long run at week 10, then a taper off for the final 2 weeks.

That makes sense as a generic plan to take someone from running a 10K to completing a half marathon. The fartleks are what the plan has for speed work. Hills intervals/repeats can be done as speed work, or the plan can just say run X distance with hills. The latter would be more common if the plan is trying to develop you to run a race that is known to have hills on the route.

The days that aren't fartleks, you run easy. Running the easy runs slow enough is typically challenging for people new to structured training.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »

the HM training program is mostly just distances with FARTLEK thrown in once a week, or a hills run, but the bulk of it is distances building to 20k long run at week 10, then a taper off for the final 2 weeks.

That makes sense as a generic plan to take someone from running a 10K to completing a half marathon. The fartleks are what the plan has for speed work. Hills intervals/repeats can be done as speed work, or the plan can just say run X distance with hills. The latter would be more common if the plan is trying to develop you to run a race that is known to have hills on the route.

The days that aren't fartleks, you run easy. Running the easy runs slow enough is typically challenging for people new to structured training.

Thanks. Ill do the pre-training schedule for the next few weeks then before heading into the HM training. Thank you for listening and all your advice.
  • Mac_Patti
    Mac_Patti Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    July 1st - ran 4 miles. Without appearing like a complete imbecile, would someone mind explaining how these challenges work....i.e. where can I log my miles and how to view my ticker? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!! Hope everyone is have a beautiful 1st - heatwave in my part of the world...97 degrees with a feel of 110....
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Mac_Patti wrote: »
    July 1st - ran 4 miles. Without appearing like a complete imbecile, would someone mind explaining how these challenges work....i.e. where can I log my miles and how to view my ticker? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!! Hope everyone is have a beautiful 1st - heatwave in my part of the world...97 degrees with a feel of 110....

The first post of the thread has a bunch of details about tickers, but plenty of people don't use them. It's really a free-form support kind of challenge - I log my miles on my own spreadsheet then post an update after each run (or so). Skimming through the June thread can give you an idea of what different people do. Welcome and hopefully your heatwave breaks soon!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

July goals 60 miles. Bike often. Rehab smart.

1---5.52 mtn bike (not a run :wink: ) rain/ storm threat. No brick.

MILES
    Running
    Cycling/MTN bike 5.52

Upcoming Races
    July 22 Draper Lake Duathlon (3k,22.5k,3k). Norman OK
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    I posted this before...a slideshow from a couple of years ago... two ultras... I love trail running...
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=RLyphBuSBic

@LaDispute57 - I need to watch this when I am feeling low and frustrated with my running! Love the picture with you both giving your mom a kiss and remember the story/video about her and the shoes! Awesome!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    Jul  02     4.1        4.1