July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays

I am pretty much going to echo most of the posts and say "get a Garmin." I have the 935 which at the time I bought it was their top of the line, not sure if has been replaced yet. Normally its WAY expensive so you probably do not want it. :) The Garmin 235 is a great option. You can read up here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/garmin-fr230-fr235-review.html

I HAD the Apple Watch Series 2 but found it to be a bit unreliable and ran into various issues. A big one was battery life and as second really big one was losing runs. All of my problems went away when I changed to the Garmin.

I know many people that are happy with the Apple Watch 2 (or 3) - just make sure you check on your cell phone provider because if you get the Apple Watch Series 3, it might require you get a cell plan ($$) for it to use all of its features.

Just keep in mind... fitness watches are like shoes - it is a very personal choice. So take my post and everyone else's as suggestions only and pick the one that fits you best. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I wear my Garmin daily. Its nice to have the phone alerts that i constantly miss at work because its noisy.

Same here. And with the 935 I go around a week and a half before I need to charge it, even when running 4 or 5 times a week.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    9b3xhbce7mc5.jpeg
    86.5/125 goal July miles

Oh, that is precious! Garmin will be all like "We noticed you tend to run less on Tuesdays, so try and get out there today!" Which I think is a bit nicer :D

i still tell mine go go some place very hot and dry when i see that
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    9b3xhbce7mc5.jpeg
    86.5/125 goal July miles

Oh, that is precious! Garmin will be all like "We noticed you tend to run less on Tuesdays, so try and get out there today!" Which I think is a bit nicer :D

For all they know Tuesday could be the day you visit your mother in the home! Sheesh.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    9b3xhbce7mc5.jpeg
    86.5/125 goal July miles

For all they know Tuesday could be the day you visit your mother in the home! Sheesh.

heh - Actually I teach on Tuesday nights after work, so not quite the same... but yeah. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I wear my Garmin daily. Its nice to have the phone alerts that i constantly miss at work because its noisy.

Same here. And with the 935 I go around a week and a half before I need to charge it, even when running 4 or 5 times a week.

I put mine on to charge when I'm in the shower. Occasionally I'll leave it charging overnight, but only because I see no point in wearing it to bed. Sleep times are set so it wouldn't wake me even if work tried to call. :smiley:

• PastorVincent
    Options

I put mine on to charge when I'm in the shower. Occasionally I'll leave it charging overnight, but only because I see no point in wearing it to bed. Sleep times are set so it wouldn't wake me even if work tried to call. :smiley:

Yeah, I have my iPhone drop into DND mode automagically on schedule AND set the sleep times on the watch. I need my beauty sleep! :lol:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays

I am pretty much going to echo most of the posts and say "get a Garmin." I have the 935 which at the time I bought it was their top of the line, not sure if has been replaced yet. Normally its WAY expensive so you probably do not want it. :) The Garmin 235 is a great option. You can read up here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/garmin-fr230-fr235-review.html

I HAD the Apple Watch Series 2 but found it to be a bit unreliable and ran into various issues. A big one was battery life and as second really big one was losing runs. All of my problems went away when I changed to the Garmin.

I know many people that are happy with the Apple Watch 2 (or 3) - just make sure you check on your cell phone provider because if you get the Apple Watch Series 3, it might require you get a cell plan ($$) for it to use all of its features.

Just keep in mind... fitness watches are like shoes - it is a very personal choice. So take my post and everyone else's as suggestions only and pick the one that fits you best. :)

It’s definitely a personal choice! I have the three and have heard that it improves a lot on the issues with the 1 and 2, but couldn’t say first hand. Investors never run out of battery or lost any runs, though I do plug it in every night. You do need to pay a device fee to add it to your data plan, or buy a data plan if you don’t have an existing one I suppose - I think $10 a month is standard. I got my watch through my existing cell carrier on an interest-free payment plan, which was nice.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    On today's subject of devices I have a Samsung Gear S2, covers mileage overall, and splits as well as having downloaded music so don't have to carry phone. The kicker for it is I tend to run in a rural area with a lot of not so nice wildlife and we have a real problem with meth, using and cooking, in the area I live in. I tend to run not only with my phone but armed as well so I have a fanny pack that holds all and don't really care about the bulk.

The app I most use when running, if not tracking with wearable, is Endomondo. Have used it for over 5 years, so a lot of history available.

I agree with @PastorVincent that a wearable is gonna be like shoes, it's personal preference for everyone.

ETA: Welcome @kcs76 B)
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Tonight was a scheduled strength training night, but I did get out and walk for awhile in my neighborhood.

I used to use Runkeeper a lot, but after my hubby bought me an Apple Watch, I have mainly used that to record my runs, with them then going to MFP. I have tried to use Strava, but I honestly don’t like it very much. It seems to take forever for my activities to show, and sometimes it doesn’t post it at all.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I would have screamed and ran inside to take 5 showers.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso *kitten* desert life. lol. I lived out In the country in Kansas for a year and one night I went to go pick up my cat and saw about 10-15 black widows a few feet from my animals. I had my ex take them to a different room and then I attempted to torch them. I told my ex that if we didn’t buy a new house I would move back to Colorado. We bought a new house a week later. Lol.