July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I missed a run earlier in the week and wanted to make it up today but we are under a severe thunderstorm/tornado watch so probably not...

Run like the wind...

or like a dog is chasing you, lol :p
    Or like you're either about to be hit by lightning or picked up by a tornado. Oh wait.

Today was long run day, and I wanted the week to total out at the top end of my goal range (35-45k/week), so I started with about 5 with my running buddy (next week we officially finish C25k and I plan to surprise her by taking her out and buying her some actual running shoes; she's earned them) and then another 14+ by myself. I'm feeling some different muscles from helping with tennis camp over the past 2 days (and we leaders get to train with the coaches too over the long lunch break between groups), but it's a good feeling.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    August 18 Chmielakowy Half Marathon (Krasnystaw)
    August 26 Kolbudy 10k, Bąkowo (Kashubia)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Missed all the last 24 hrs chat! Too busy.

No run today, as planned, but won't be doing a long run tomorrow either because I have to make a trip to the big smoke - 2hrs away.

I'm going to a sports shop for some running shorts - not sure what I want yet, probably capris or something.

I have got myself a running belt with a couple of bottles (looking forward to trying it on my long runs). I have sweat bands. Are there any other running accessories I should have (apart from bidyglide). I don't need gloves cause it's not cold enough.

PS im doing an 8k run Monday to make up for no run this weekend
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Are there any other running accessories I should have

I just dropped a small fortune on fancy running socks. They’re a ridiculous price but made the world of difference for me.

If you’re in the mood to shop, buy a second pair of shoes that are different from the ones you have (either brand or model). My podiatrist recommends having at least two pairs in rotation. The guy at Shoe Science sold me some New Balance for long runs today and recommended a different model for my speed work (I’ll go back when I have another spare $250 or so!).
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

I just dropped a small fortune on fancy running socks. They’re a ridiculous price but made the world of difference for me.

If you’re in the mood to shop, buy a second pair of shoes that are different from the ones you have (either brand or model). My podiatrist recommends having at least two pairs in rotation. The guy at Shoe Science sold me some New Balance for long runs today and recommended a different model for my speed work (I’ll go back when I have another spare $250 or so!).

Oh socks, good thinking. I got some New Balance ones in June but they aren't as great as I hoped. Weirdly the best running socks I've ever had were lululemon! I loved those socks, till my washing machine ate one :(

I currently have two pairs of shoes, one brand new last week im using for shirt distances, the other pair is not quite a year old and hasn't had a huge amount of miles yet, so I'm going to hold off for shoes for a bit.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Socks are very important!

I use: Under Armour Heatgear or Nike's Dry Fit socks in warm weather and Darn Trough socks when it is cold. Getting the wrong socks could mean blisters. Same is true for socks that are worn out. The more miles you put in the more likely that will be.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Socks. I like balega and nike dri fit. For short runs I use champions from target.

Ummm might be skipping my run this morning. Theres a *kitten* ton of lightning right now.
  • amitacharaya1994
    amitacharaya1994 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Soulfit fitness band to track my steps during workout. You can try it too, buy it from https://bit.ly/2GVKi3E. It helps in tracking calories, blood pressure, steps and more. Its of a great use.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @Avidkeo My favorite gear?.... hmm... I stole some badsazz running socks yesterday from a man with killer legs in Romania ( @AdrianChr92 )
    He plans on leaving out a t shirt next, so I'd grab that if I were you. That or stalk @garygse and grab his unattended gear. :wink:

Steigen socks, (a few thicker smartwool pair for the winter), oiselle shorts and bras, body glide, a hat, good sunglasses, my hydroflask for iced nuun water post run/ride and a road id
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Oh socks, good thinking. I got some New Balance ones in June but they aren't as great as I hoped. Weirdly the best running socks I've ever had were lululemon! I loved those socks, till my washing machine ate one :(

I currently have two pairs of shoes, one brand new last week im using for shirt distances, the other pair is not quite a year old and hasn't had a huge amount of miles yet, so I'm going to hold off for shoes for a bit.

Watch the pair that's a year old. Although they may not have the miles on them, they do break
    down over time

When you do need shoes, everyone here is in something different, so they'll be a lot of suggestions to help you find what's right.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Looks like no run for me today. Lightning earlier and now it's windy AF and lightning. One missed run won't ruin marathon training.

It made me think, gyms should sell day passes. Like I would have paid $5-10 today to hop on a treadmill for 40 minutes. I have read about gyms that do this but I only have an LA Fitness near me and they don't offer that.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @ladispute57 @marisap2010

If you are interested in comparing for the rest of July, here is my original plan, except with actual miles updated now for the week so far.

fqnaejxhekc7.png

Since I went over on miles on Tuesday, I'm going to be over 10% increase for the week (I try to stay at or below 10%). So I might end up only running 19 miles tomorrow after all.

Also, work trip next week makes things a bit challenging because I have a couple long days that include both working and traveling. Tues. I work part of the day and travel part of the day to arrive at my destination late. So rather than get up super early to run, I'm thinking I'll switch the miles to Mon. On Fri., I work all day (until about 4p-5p time at that location) and then travel back home. I live in a rural area, so the airport is about 90 min. drive. If I go straight home, it will be Sat. by the time I get home. What I'm thinking is if I feel energetic enough, I may go ahead and run in the metro area (with the airport) at night after arriving. Night running is cool, and I can bring a light easily enough for any areas that are not well enough lit. Actually, if I go where I'm thinking, I'll start in the city and end up several miles outside of the city before turning around and coming back. There is a biking / running trail, but I'm sure it is not lit in rural areas. If I'm going to do that, I won't get up early and run Fri. morning and then again Fri. night / Sat. early AM. Instead, I'll want to move the Fri. morning run to another day.

Anyway, if I do those things, this is more what my plan will look like.

9ldurx3vf2n8.png