July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I'm not sure I run faster than you. I'm really slow.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    T why do they spread them throuout the shop and not on one big rack grrr.

Standard Retail Store Trick (TM) - Spread stuff out so that your customers have to wander around and see all the impulse buys. :)

Before you say "that does not work" - know that it does - really well. Which is why they all do it. :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I also discovered today that my Apple Watch is not going to make it through my marathon. At the end of 18.75, I only had 5% battery left. That is what I get for being a slower runner, I guess. For those of you with Garmins, what is the battery life like? I really don’t want to spend money on a new watch right now, but I guess my only other option would be to have Runkeeper or another app running on my phone during the run.

That's a bummer! I have a watch 3 and haven't had battery issues yet, but I'm not running nearly as long as you are (yet!). Were you using the battery-conserve option when it drained that far? I haven't tried it because I like having cellular service during my runs, but I could see giving that and the HRM up to avoid having to carry a phone.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @marisap2010 Battery life is one of the main reasons I switched from Fitbit Surge to Garmin. On Fitbit, I never turned on GPS and still had much worse battery life.

I have the Garmin Fenix 3 HR and pair it to the Garmin HRM Run chest strap (for more accurate HR and other analytics). I was at 100% charge yesterday before I mowed the lawn (no GPS or chest strap, just steps and OHR). After my 19.06 miles this morning (3:07:56) with GPS and HRM Run, I still have 75%.

I have no experience with Apple or Suunto, but have heard good things about Suunto battery life also... especially if you set it to ping the GPS satellites less frequently.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I also discovered today that my Apple Watch is not going to make it through my marathon. At the end of 18.75, I only had 5% battery left. That is what I get for being a slower runner, I guess. For those of you with Garmins, what is the battery life like? I really don’t want to spend money on a new watch right now, but I guess my only other option would be to have Runkeeper or another app running on my phone during the run.

That's a bummer! I have a watch 3 and haven't had battery issues yet, but I'm not running nearly as long as you are (yet!). Were you using the battery-conserve option when it drained that far? I haven't tried it because I like having cellular service during my runs, but I could see giving that and the HRM up to avoid having to carry a phone.

No, I haven’t tried that because I like the cellular on my watch, but I may try it on my next long run and just have my phone in the pocket of my water belt in case I need it.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    July goals 60 miles. Work up to 5 minutes of running. Bike often. Rehab smart.

1---5.52 mtn bike
    2---2.09 run 3(4,4)
    3---5.58 mtn bike
    4---3.33 mile run 5(4,4)
    4---2.43 road bike
    5---3.42 run 7(3,3)
    6---9.04 mtn bike
    7---6.33 5(4-2,3-2,2-2)
    8---3.26 run 7(3-3)
    8---6.48 road bike
    10---3.67 interval run
    12---13.03 mtn bike
    13---3.63 run/walk
    15---6.34 (3,3) failure
    16---6.11 mtn bike
    18---6.93 mtn bike
    20---6.1 walk and a walk
    22--- 1.87 mile run Do
    22---13.86 mile bike Da
    22---1.87 mile run Du

MILES
    Running 42.1
    Cycling/MTN bike 68.8

Upcoming Races

October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)

Ummm, race report please! Congratulations!!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

No, I haven’t tried that because I like the cellular on my watch, but I may try it on my next long run and just have my phone in the pocket of my water belt in case I need it.

I haven't experimented with battery conserve, but since it's set to go on when you have a running workout going, I would guess that cellular would turn back on if you ended the workout in case of an emergency. I wonder if you could manually turn cellular on to check for messages periodically without ending the workout? I might have to experiment with this at some point because I'm definitely curious. A little googling looks like you could use a bluetooth HRM while in conserve mode if that functionality were important.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3. I'm on Day 2 of a new charge and the battery is already at 75%. I went on a 45 minute run w/GPS yesterday morning and it drained the battery by 10%. It's only a week old, and I think I have the settings draining the battery too much in some places I'm not aware of.

I think I can get 4 days worth out of the watch before having to charge it, but I worry it wouldn't last a marathon run beyond 6 hours of utilizing GPS.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent congrats on move in day!
    @5BeautifulDays happy driver’s license to your daughter
    @Bride001 great pictures, some day I’ll get down to New Orleans
    @RunsonEspresso is there a Planet Fitness by you? $10 a month
    @Shanaber yeah on goal
    @Orphia I want to run there, great job!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    7/1/18 unplanned rest

7/2/18 2.55 miles
    7/3/18 rest
    7/4/18 2.7 miles
    7/5/18 3 miles
    7/6/18 rest pf
    7/7/18 rest pf
    7/8/18 rest pf

7/9/18 3 miles
    7/10/18 3.15 miles
    7/11/18 2.95 miles
    7/12/18 2.9 miles
    7/13/18 2.6 miles
    7/14/18 3 miles
    7/15/18 8 miles

7/16/18 2.85 miles
    7/17/18 3.45 miles
    7/18/18 2.9 miles
    7/19/18 3.05 miles
    7/20/18 2.7 miles
    7/21/18 weather
    7/22/18 9 miles

Total 57.8 miles /75-85

Felt good until the last 3 miles then I think the heat caught up to me and I lost all energy. It was run/walk, mostly walk, for the last couple of miles.