July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Holy shlt @midwesterner85... You are going to do 100+ miles per WEEK? Ok... You are a separate crazy, like a @AlphaHowls crazy....

That 200 mile week baffles me!

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @marisap2010 I know, right?
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    @marisap2010 @LaDispute57 That's taking running to a whole other level. My feet are crying just reading the weekly mileage.

@midwesterner85 That's some admirable mileage. I am thoroughly left in awe......possibly cartoon-like eyes bugging out my head and jaw dropping awe.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 @marisap2010 @runnergrl1982 Well... that is a plan, but like I said before, I might have to tweak it because that is going to take a lot of time and I'm not sure if I will be able to always find that much free time.

For now, I'm eating at maintenance level calories and eating zero carb / carnivore. I keep telling myself that I'm going to try to lose this last 10-15 lbs. of body fat later and I'm telling myself it is ok to eat at maintenance since I'm ramping up mileage. I also keep thinking I might be able to eat plants again when I get to that 100 miles / week, but I'm not sure that is realistic. We shall see. If I can figure out how to run so much that I can actually eat pizza again and not go overboard and get fat, then maybe. But I'm not sure that is even possible.
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    @midwesterner85 You are way beyond me... lol... I can't get so specific cuz my brain would melt... I run 5 days a week, lift 3 and eat whatever strikes my fancy... I just kinda eyeball my intake (basically vegetarian /vegan so no meat rotting in my gut)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Not that I could run that much anyway, but NO carbs? I’d be in a heap in the middle of the road.
    @midwesterner85 You are way beyond me... lol... I can't get so specific cuz my brain would melt... I run 5 days a week, lift 3 and eat whatever strikes my fancy... I just kinda eyeball my intake (basically vegetarian /vegan so no meat rotting in my gut)

So it might help if you understand I'm a type 1 diabetic and zero carb makes BG management easier. If my BG gets low, I'll take dextrose to treat it. I log that in MFP, but I consider glucose tablets are medicine and not food.

So lately, I've been eating to hunger. I can do that just eating meat and maintain pretty well as long as I don't add diet soda or plants and such (except coffee and unsweetened tea). Or at least, it has been working for the past few months. At some point, I still want to lose 12-13 lbs. of body fat, but I'm letting myself eat intuitively for now. When I eat plants, I can eat thousands (and sometimes tens of thousands) of extra calories per day if I just eat to hunger. So between BG and inability to control hunger when eating plants, that is why I just eat meat.
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Nice 17 miles on the trail today. 5 miles was on a rails to trails section. The rest was pretty rocky and hilly.

That's a damn solid trail run...
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Socks: Balega...love 'em.

Today was a tempo run of a little over 6 miles...all was going well until I ran through a swarm of gnats towards the end, and the ones that I didn't eat ended up sticking to my face. Lovely.

05 - 13.85
    06 - 15.31
    07 - 13.71
    09 - 15.31
    10 - 13.05
    11 - 15.32
    12 - 13.35
    13 - 15.30
    16 - 15.32
    17 - 13.22
    18 - 15.60
    19 - 13.84
    20 - 15.57
    21 - 6.37

Total: 195.12 / 250 miles

6.37 mi = 10.25 km

@garygse I'm going to start calling you "Linda Evangelista". You don't get out of bed for 10K. :smiley:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally, I wrote this today about running shoes.

https://zenmode.org/2018/07/22/things-ive-learned-about-running-shoes/

A friend who is starting to run requested it.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    All the talk of severe storms and tornados make me very happy to be in California! It is true we have an occasional earthquake and some heat and fires but I would take that anytime to tornados (and ice storms and blizzards)!

Socks - my favorite at all times of the year (note from above it doesn't get very cold here so no need for cold weather socks) are the Smartwool PhD Run ultra light cushion. You can find them online at steep discounts (50% off sometimes) but full price they are pricey at $15. Like @mobycarp's Darn Tough guarantee, Smartwool does the same but they don't always replace like for like. I have turned in mine and gotten back socks that are heavier cushioned. I will wear them but not for running.

@P0PTART - welcome to the group! feel free to jump into the discussion. There are a lot of turtles, some hares and even some snails here!
    @RunsOnEspresso - any chance there is a Planet Fitness near you? I think they allow a 2 week trial. Also the membership is super cheap - $10/month. I keep a membership just so I can go there when I can't run outside or if I need a different workout for recovery or injury rehab. They really vary a lot though. Mine happens to be very big and very clean and well maintained but not all of them are unfortunately.
    @skippygirlsmom - love that t-shirt!
    @5BeautifulDays - congratulations to your daughter (and to you) on the driver's license!
    @RunnerGrl1982 - shhhh on the fires! Hoping they stay away for awhile but with the heat coming next week that probably won't be the case. Were do you run - Santa Monica Mountains have some beautiful vistas and trails but the beach would be my choice.
    @LaDispute57 - I agree on the minimal shoes. I pretty much wear mine until the uppers disintegrate. I am willing my current Scores to hang on just a while longer through my race and then they can continue to fall apart. They have around 600 miles on them but the upper is starting to tear. What is ShoeGoo for?
    @bride001 - what a beautiful location for a race!
    @midwesterner85 - I am retired and I don't have the time run that many miles/day! No idea how you can do it and work even with running much faster than me!
    @PastorVincent - congratulations on getting moved into the house! There will be plenty of time to run soon!
    @orphia - love the pictures!
    @abutcher2122 - ouch! hope your knee feels better soon!