WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Options

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Margaret ~ Those gardens are beautiful! When you visit these places, does your DH go with you? Wish mine would love to visit places like those.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    Options
    For the horse lovers:
    0d5np6bh4zb1.jpg

The horse shoe frog. I love supporting local artists:

9schc7c1j1xj.jpg

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi Sisters,

Margaret thanks for taking us on a virtual tour of that fascinating place! Loved the garden too.

Barbie, how are you feeling today? Any better, worse or still the same?

Mary, supplements I recommend: For hormones-Progesterone or wild yam cream, Vitex and if you want to go whole hog-Dong quai, Nu Woman, Go Menofree. (I alternate taking those last 3 using different ones each month)
    For Brain health-Ginkgo. For Joint Health- Glucosamine. For Energy- Korean Panax Ginseng. For general health: Magnesium, Vit D, Vit E (I use wheat germ oil and walnuts for Vit E and get my Omega 3 as well) a multi-vitamin (chewable kids to make it like a treat!) and for gut health-Chlorella. You may need somewhat different supplements depending on your body chemistry and particular health challenges. I may have missed some out and sometimes I trial different ones to see if I notice any improvements. I think ACV is a great thing to take as well as lemon juice. I always squeeze fresh lemon into my water bottles. Happy Journeys on your fast. What are your coping strategies for fasting?

Machka, Making my life easier: I start every day with my writing journal and I write a list of things I'd like to get done,and at the end of the day I write in my journal to record how well I did at hitting my targets. I also have an egg-timer that I set for various activities so that I will know when I have "finished" and hit my goal. So ten minutes for piano practice, thirty minutes in the garden etc. Or I set a very small target such as "write 300 words on my current book" or "sew five patches on the quilt" When I make something very specific and small, I can usually talk myself into doing it! I am also trying to de-clutter our large family home and get rid of all things that aren't important to me.

Last night was fabulous! I went out to town with my youngest daughter who is pregnant, and I bought her dinner and had a half portion of food myself, then we went to watch Mama Mia, Here We Go Again and I had some naughty snacks, popcorn and chocolate and crackers. We cried when the baby was born and when the dead mother returned in spirit to sing at her grandchild's christening! I don't really like musicals, I prefer a deeper story, but it was still a fun way to spend some time with my daughter and unborn grandchild.

I stepped on the scale today, fully expecting to see the numbers jump up after the feast last night, but they are exactly the same as yesterday. I am back on the fast track today and hope to get back into the groove and keep heading down to my Happy Place. <3 Wendy
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options
    :)Margaret, I love your 5 rule. I'm going to add to my bag of tricks.

:)Cathy, you look amazing. Congrats on your success.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Margaret- thanks for sharing your experience and pictures with us!

<3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

simpler --- one of the things I am working on is for my age friends (not for the younger folks) working on limiting gifts to one “expected” gift a year, so Christmas or birthday not both, and accepting that time, or paying for a random meal/coffee/?? Is fine, but not expected - A bit less pressure…

and lists ! I try to make lists of things to do/shop/ etc… then an errand may include many things as they are all organized and I don’t go in and out to many times.

So for those of you with the white board idea, I don’t want to give up space for a white board but found that a mirror works just as well, so in my sewing room there are mirrored closets and that’s my business “white board”

self love, I’m not good at this at all, but I know working in MY garden helps me relax and I am trying to do 5 hours a week.

Heather – old crockery, some of it – if it is not valuable in the money sense – can be made into cute garden art items, so broken and repurposed into a bistro table top, or into a bird feeder (cup and saucer glued together) check out pinterest on line, and that might give you a memory item without needing to keep it all.

Rebecca - thinking of DH and you!!!

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    Options
    Rebecca prayers!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Stairclimber- 30min, 1720 steps, 107 floors, lvl4, 121ahr, 137mhr, fat burning program = 239c
    Apple warch- 278c
    Arm/chin up assist machine- 12.32min, 118ahr, 140mhr, 4sts of 10ea, sit-ups and push-ups in btwn ea set, 70#, 1st of 10ea with 55# same thing= 106c
    Apple Watch- 111c
    Other- 11min, 5sts of 10ea, knees to waist then legs extended to waist, in btwn on back leg lifts, on butt knees in out 120mhr= 68c
    Apple Watch- 63c
    Walk- Costco 2 tan 2 hm- 22.36min, 3.6ap, 1.3mi- 120c Apple Watch
    Other- gardening, playing with dogs- 45min est= 150c est

Total cal- 783
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Rebecca- keeping hubby in my prayers and you too..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Today (sat) I did 30 minutes of HIIT and then on the treadmill for 15 minutes (just to cool down). I was so sweaty that I took a “wash off the sweat” shower. Then we went to breakfast and then picked up Shadow.

Got to Jess and Colby’s place about 5 last night. Do you know that Jess called Vince as we were going up there saying that Colby was wondering if he should take the bed we took and we take the queen bed? Vince told Jess that he didn’t think it would fit in the Outlook. If Colby wanted to do that, we would have needed to rent a U-Haul, which it probably wouldn’t have been a bad idea for us to do. As it is, the Outlook was stuffed and so was my car. But we’re back in NC now, we’ll probably take things to put in storage. Colby said “I think I have most things packed”. I just thought to myself “I don’t think so”. Do you know that evidently he didn’t have any place to live after Tuesday? Seems he’s going to rent an apt where Jess used to live and share it with another guy. That guy just decided that he’d go in on it. He’s a smoker and Jess told Vince “I haven’t told Colby, but you’re keeping Shadow. The other guy smokes and I will not subject Shadow to that”. Guess we left around 10 this morning, got home around 5. I didn’t stop, just had snacks in my car. See, it’s a good thing that I take my food with me rather than relying on a fast-food place!

I don’t think I told you what happened at the Newcomer board meeting. See, this “summer soiree” (basically, it’s like the gala <which fell out of favor> their proposed budget was so high that we didn’t have much money for a holiday party. So…the woman who is the president has talked to this one guy who is going to basically pay for it. Well, he owns a business. You KNOW he’s going to take this as a business expense. Anyway, Vince mentioned how uncomfortable he was with this because this is income and as a non-profit we can’t make a profit. Well, the gal who is president kept insisting that it wasn’t income. You should have heard Vince. “I'm a CPA, and this is income” Wouldn’t surprise me if he decided to resign as treasurer. If he does, I’ll resign as hospitality and doing the membership. Vince keeps pointing out that we really need a backup for the webmaster. The president keeps saying “we’ll poll the membership” so Vince asked her what do we do if no one can back him up. The answer? “I don’t know”. Vince told her about this company who can do this, nothing would be taken away from the current webmaster, but they can be there as a backup. Well, this webmaster was talking about a plug-in (Vince mentioned that there’s most likely this) to repair what he’s previously said that he couldn’t fix. He tried the plug in and some members got this weird email about how they’ve been approved. No idea about what. Vince got this, but I didn’t. Then the president sent out another email saying how we’re updating the website and the people should log on (???) and fill in their name (???). The webmaster made mention of the mail list and certain names haven’t logged in. Well, most of those people are no longer members. Why he didn’t ask me is beyond me. I could have told him that. The pres. forwarded an email the webmaster wrote and even Vince (who was in IT for 23 years) couldn’t figure out what he was talking about. I tell you, something is going to happen.

Cathy – thanks so much for the info about Kristie Sullivan. I have to check out her recipes. Hopefully, she includes a lot of veggies. Your pics are fantastic

While we were going up to pick up shadow, at one point I REALLY had to go to the bathroom and there was a line (ugh) so I was dancing around. I laughed to one of the ladies there and said “well, at least I’m getting in my 10,000 steps….lol”

Tracey – so happy to hear that your daughter wasn’t seriously hurt.

Barbie-oh dear, hope you get relief real soon

Pat – congratulations on the expected addition to your family

Wendy – Mary suggested the keto diet for me and I just can’t do it, I love my fruits and veggies too much.

I didn’t realize that Vince was packed and he didn’t plan to put the lights on timers this time! Oh well….I just vented here.

Well, I just looked and I no longer have admin privileges for the Newcomer website. The guy who is the webmaster is working on it. The previous guy (the one who died suddenly) used to do a test site and once it was working correctly, then he released it. Which is how it should be done. But a lot of people don’t (including the current webmaster). The gal who is president wants people put on the website and the maillist ASAP. So, Vince told me to just wait until I have an application and THEN email the webmaster and cc her to let him know that I can’t add someone. We shall see what happens.

Okie – impressive workshop! Vince keeps things “fairly” organized.

Put Jessica’s bed and some other things into her storage unit. Things that she probably won’t use. She SAYS she’s going to go thru it, she was upset that we put things in her room into storage. I have been asking her for a long time to go thru things and she hasn’t so I did it. Honestly, I don’t know how Shadow is going to take to this change. So far great. But is this the calm before the storm???? After coming home from the storage unit went in the pool then made some cookies in case mahjongg was going to be here tomorrow (which it won’t since we won’t have enough people for a game) and I can and will take them to the next Newcomer general meeting.

Today (sun) did balance games on the Wii. The plan for tomorrow is to do some hula hoop, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Suebdew – thanks for asking about me. It’s just taken me a while to get caught up and get things straightened out with Shadow and all.

Jess had some acepromozine that was expired. I’ve been after Vince to clean out his drawer. He has so many medications that are out of date. Don’t know why he’s holding onto them. But I’m going to take the ace to the sheriff’s dept to dispose of so I told him if he cleans out his drawer we can take that too. Hope this works

Heather – FANTASTIC someone is takin the hutch. Update: yea for them coming!

Kylia and Lisa – when we were looking for a house, Vince made up this 3-page spreadsheet of all the things we definitely wanted in a house, things we would compromise on, things that were definite deal breakers. This house rated about 90% of those things

Loved all the pics

Rebecca – prayers for your husband

I THINK I’m caught up.

Michele in NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options
    :) I have been listening to the podcasts by "The Minimalists" and reading books about getting rid of things. The philosophy is "how could my life be better with less" and looking at how things do or do not add value to your life. In the same way that I read this thread every day to get support and encouragement for my journey to weight loss, I read these books and listen to these podcasts to reinforce my desire to keep only those things and behaviours that add value to my life. It's important to understand the "why" of getting rid of things before looking for suggestions on "how " to get rid of them. Every I look there is encouragement to acquire more things and experiences to be happier. Minimalism is the opposite. One thing I learned is that the memories are not in the "things". I am my mother's only surviving child and she was her mother's only surviving child so I had tons of precious things passed down to me. I found that I don't need to keep the stuff to remember them. I share stories of them to keep memories alive and got rid of all the rest except for a few items that I use regularly. I have scanned photos and documents and taken photos of may precious items before freely discarding them.

<3Rebecca, I'm thinking warm thoughts for you and your hubby.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Congratulations on finding a home for the gentleman's press. WTG!!! :star:

Lanette: I've watched three ketogenic diet episodes today and my brain is temporarily full. I am swimming in ideas at this point. Thank you for sharing the links. :heart:

Cathy: Your granddaughter is charming. Thanks for sharing the picture. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I love all the photos you share. You're a good photographer, and make good choices when you share. Thanks! :smiley:

Rebecca: Your husband is in my prayers, and you are, too. :heart:

Barbie: I am storing many things for my children that my mom wanted me to pass on to them. I'm not sure they like their bequests, and I'm stuck "hosting" them for now. You gave me a nudge to think about what else I might do. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

I ran into a former neighbor at the hardware store yesterday and he was very angry with me. I really couldn't understand it, since I haven't seen him in months. Now I'm thinking that someone planted an anger germ in his mind, and it is probably my difficult neighbor. DH says to let it lay, but I keep wanting to send a message to the angry former neighbor. Advice needed! Is DH correct?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    ((((Rebecca)))) <3 Sending prayers for your DH and you! Please keep us posted.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Ppp
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Rebecca, thinking about you and your hubby. Keep us in your pocket.

Lisa