Cliques

Options

Replies

• BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    theres team doritos, and then theres others

Team Doritos all the way! I don't have clique but I have the Doritos crew and my Swolemate Bestie <3
    Yep no clique here. Team doritos only

But i see massive amounts of cliques on this forum. Ill root for the underdogs

Can you give examples of the cliques that you see? I don't see "massive amounts."

I definitely see mostly the same people who will comment on the same kind of topic, but I don't view them as cliques.

Maybe everyone has diff opinions on what cliques is. But to me, i can write one comment and no one would giv a sh1t. Another person can write the same exact thing and all their buddies ( or to me , their “group” )will come out and have a 5 hour chat about it

Its why i dont even care to post much. Some peoples posts will get overlooked. Others will always get a response cause they r more popular

I think we all have posts that go overlooked. There are thousands of posts here every day - it's easy to get lost in the shuffle regardless of how many friends you've made here.

Could very well be the case. Which is all good. Not that i really care but i will say iv tried to participate in an on going conversation that has replies to a specific topic that was posted every minute and my comments were ignored. But the one right before mine and after? Nope. answered

Cant expect everyone to like ya (;

I've been here off and on since....something like 2009 or 10. Generally when I've participated in threads and offered legitimate, sincere advice, with a few exceptions, it tends to blend in with the crowd and get ignored unless I've expressed an opinion that goes against the prevailing theme of the thread. Most of the exceptions to this have been when my "clique" join in and commence to amening. As a result, I tend to try to reserve sincere advice for threads with fewer posters that tend to fall through the cracks, and will usually just pop in when bored to gif up a dumpster fire because it amuses me.

And that's key I think. While we want to help people, often we have to share because it's good for us to share, or just amuse ourselves regardless of whether or not it's well received, or whether or not people like us. Because as you said, you can't expect everyone to anyway.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    All of chit chat is a clique by definition. All the go back to fun and games comments and the way a new person feels like they have to jump onto a moving train...that's all clique. I'm not saying everyone that posts here, but the overall atmosphere collectively.

Nobody from my clique commented on this, so I'm quoting it.

I don't even think there's anyone from my clique posting in this thread at all... :cry:
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm a double agent
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    @george5911 your PP reminds me of someone but i can't put my finger on it.

totally random and off topic.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    I feel like we have gone full circle with the clique thing this year
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

elaborate?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I’ve noticed one big clique (except for a few randoms) keeps commenting on this thread saying that their are no cliques. Hmmmmm...

I hope this isn’t me because I like to think that while I’ve developed friendships in the last year, it’s not to the exclusion of anyone else.

I’ll play with anyone, I’ve been inoculated.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

elaborate?

It gets brought up quite regularly. I figured we should just make a thread and hammer it out.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    This thread got 200 replies in the last day - heated debate, huh? :smiley:

One of the nice things about this forum is that it brings people from all over randomly together. Affinities stick. Friendships develop. Conversations get fun. And cliques... well, they happen naturally. In the sense that yes, there is a coagulated group that carry references and conversations across different (mostly Chit Chat) threads. Inside jokes and the likes. They're a lovely bunch, so I would find another word for clique, as that implies more of a negative connotation.

What I haven't figured out is whether accession is dependent on an exam or a secret password or something.
  • InkgirlKC
    InkgirlKC Posts: 251 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Cliques will always form. It's our nature. Yes, we can be friendly to others but inevitably cliques will form. I've only been here a few weeks so I haven't been around long enough to be part of a clique or to be felt left out. Eventually both will happen if one stays around long enough.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

elaborate?

It gets brought up quite regularly. I figured we should just make a thread and hammer it out.

I hear ya, I have found this thread interesting so far. And it does get brought up alot. I just don't know what "went full circle this year" means? Since I am finding this thread interesting, why not ask?
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

elaborate?

I hear ya, I have found this thread interesting so far. And it does get brought up alot. I just don't know what "went full circle this year" means? Since I am finding this thread interesting, why not ask?

I’ve only been here a year so I guess I don’t really know either :grimace:
  • george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »

I always laugh when someone says pp.....

You really just took it there. Shame shame. Lol

@MichSmish

Bet its that totally awesome guy you know who's just the damn best. Matter of fact, he reminds you of me I think!

Only kidding of course. Let me know if it refreshes in your memory!
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    slessofme wrote: »
    I also don't understand @lstrat115's comment on protecting oneself from returning users by baiting them. If you don't want to interact with them, doesn't it make more sense to just ignore them?

I didn't make myself clear. I am not the one baiting anyone. There are people who create alternative accounts because they have too much time on their hands and they start threads or make comments that they know will upset people. They are baiting people and hoping to get people jailed or banned. They get a kick out of it. That's pretty messed up. So I do tend to avoid new users for a while because I have gotten myself in trouble by engaging trolls.

And @newmeadow my previous comment had nothing to do with private messages or picture sharing. There are people who have come into the forums (and brought friends who never venture to these parts) who only had the intention of being malicious to other users.

@lstrat115 - Thanks for clarifying. I think I have to chalk the fact that I still don't understand the issue up to my spotty participation, and possibly a lack of social skills in general... Reporting posts that intentionally bait, rather than responding to them, is an option. Don't get me wrong, I agree that baiting is messed up but I don't understand responding in a way that puts yourself in jeopardy of being disciplined or banned rather than just reporting and moving on to the next post.

An on topic point: I could see how new users might think that a little directed teasing is just how this forum works and may be under the impression that's how they might break in to the group. Similarly with the flirting/fawning or the sarcasm. Some people seem to be promptly accepted into the fold while others go unacknowledged. I'm sure we could speculate all day as to why that is, but in the end it just boils down to this being a group of individuals and the quirks and nuances that go along with that.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    george5911 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I find it very interesting some of the responses from "loners" or those not belonging to a clique, who (in my observation) seemto.

But being a mod you have an entirely different perspective no?

Honestly I have no idea how to answer this. I have a bit more info than the average user I guess. But, its not like I have a whos who of chit chat guide. I have some theories that range from bland to strait up crazy conspiracy lady. Plus, it would be silly to think my modness has no effect on how people interact with me. So it could be a skewed perspective all around.

I know. If we woo you, you'll know who did it. I don't see why moderators get to see who presses what vote button when the rest of us don't. Is having such coveted knowledge used as an opportunity to pass judgment on a user when it comes time to hand out warnings, jailings or bans?

Oh and by the way - do you know how many threads got closed and users got jailed and banned as a result of contributing to threads with the "Sugar Addict" theme of yore?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBoJm8LxT5ez7nmGL7gPAfVWg9MaIq65RRxj2g0JHjQonmoVRHjg

Sometimes, extra privs like seeing who does what is a matter of the software itself and not a setting that is granted via the Admins. Some things just aren't worrying about, or thinking it's a conspiracy theory.

Not worried. Just pointing out an interesting factoid relating to principal and protocol.

The way I read it, it sounded like you were going off on a conspiracy theory...

Some things just happen for a reason. Part of the job of being a moderator, or admin of a board.

to the haves, having that bit of extra may not seem like much. To the have nots, different story entirely.

Roles and responsibilities. I don't have the capability, and it's not an issue for me. Much more important things to worry about, than how a person voted on a response. Would probably cause far more drama than already happens here if general users had the capability.

Not saying anything about you personally. Of course to someone who labors with the roles and responsibilities it's nothing, just part of the job.

To those without, its a wielding of power they've yet to know, and look on in a most likely incorrect manner.

Ever had the thought; wish I was a cop so I could drive through red lights?

Not really. Of course, I also understand that there are some things with doesn't apply to everyone and therefore just accept that it's outside of my scope and no sense worrying or putting more thought into.

Personally, I think way too many feel like they should be a part of everything and when they aren't there's some dark conspiracy going on because they were excluded. Makes me want to dig out my box of tinfoil and hand it to them.

Cuz that's how you teach or??

I agree with everything you're saying but the last bit.

In a situation like you've stated it's on you to demonstrate and educate to the contrary. Handing out Reynolds Wrap is just kerosene on the fire and avoiding part of the role and responsibility. (Queue spiderman cut scene, you know the one) There will of course be a contingent of the group that tunes you out and opts for the foil, but you can reach a few. That's progress.

How I teach? No. I just think that there's far bigger things in life to worry about than what kind of power a moderator has, why I can't do the same things police, military, or someone else can if it pertains to their job. Why should I? Does it impact my daily life? Nope, not in the least. Especially if they are working within legal limits, I just don't care. Some parts of life we are not meant to know what goes on. Nor, should we because of various reasons.

As to the tinfoil comment, you completely misread that statement. It was meant for after you try to give them reasons why, educate them, etc. and they still fail to grasp it. Some people either just can't comprehend it because they're paranoid. They won't comprehend it because their intellect just isn't wired that way. Or, in some way, they're just refusing and will argue the point just to argue. Which, is how I feel where this conversation is at now.

Of course, there are those fortunate few who will get a chuckle out of that tinfoil box being tossed to them without a word being said because they know they're being unreasonable...

To a large degree you're correct. Trying to keep this tied to the OP, albeit loosely at this point and for that I apologise. Didn't intend to hijack the thread.

I don't think I misread anything, I just didnt read what wasn't written. The lack of comprehension, intentional or not is what I was speaking about previously. There will always be some you just can't reach. Your recent amendment does give me a different look at your point of view.

I'm sorry this feels like an argument to you. I felt it a collaborative conversation of different opinions in search of a common understanding. No harm intended and no judgement passed.

Nothing wrong with a good discussion by any means. Just felt like it was getting into an ongoing debate/argument without end. One of the downsides to the internet, at least in the written format is that you lose many key aspects of conversation: voice inflection, body language, etc. Many times, the verbal discussions last a fraction of what written do. Or, they develop beyond just the linear point of thinking associated with forums.

I thought the same thing. Not to associate him with an assassin. But, some of the pictures of Lee Harvey Oswald that are very similar in appearance. Same stance, facial expression, etc.
  • Truns1990
    Truns1990 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm to new but I didn't know there could be cliques on an app. I had a few people add me, well four lol
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options

elaborate?

Last year we had lots of talk about cliques and started several threads that were different cliques, it was fun
  • caco_ethes
    Options

elaborate?

Last year we had lots of talk about cliques and started several threads that were different cliques, it was fun

Oh I think I missed that