You Intimidate Me

Options

Replies

• skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    When I speak of intimidation in this thread it’s not from a physical or mental place of fear. In my case it’s where I read the posts of someone and start to paint a mental picture of someone’s personality and their attributes. I enjoy reading their thoughts and sense of humor. Then the thought of sending a friend request was intimidating because there’s the chance of rejection from someone you’ve come to like.

Hope this makes sense.

Exactly. I didn’t feel intimated by posting in the forum for more than a week or two once I started, but I’m just now getting past hating sending friend requests and thinking about them anxiously for days if not weeks before actually hitting send. If I am sending one, it’s because I enjoy someone’s posts and the thought of them possibly rejecting it was very intimidating.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    If you let people intimidate you in a web forum then I am concerned with how poorly you would handle a physical confrontation.

Just sayin'

DISCLOSURE: I teach Combatives, Defensive Tactics, and Personal Protection

Sorry physical confrontation is easier to deal with that social rejection

This is an opinion and not fact. Times have changed a lot over the years that may make what you say true for many.....but believe me my friend, intimidation from where I grew up was physically and mentally excruciating. Social rejection comes in many forms, and cyber intimidation is something i never had to deal with but do see it so i wont discount it. But having the big kids jack you up to sell drugs for them because you are to young to do time is pretty traumatic physical intimidation. That and other things like that happen to kids and even some adults to this day in neighborhoods where I work with the kids. It's never just one way when it comes to what's worse when it comes to these type of things.

I agree with Thomas about this being opinion and not fact. I feel I am very outgoing and confident on social media platforms. I was like this as a child over the phone calling for donations, etc from organizations for school, church, etc. Never afraid of being told no or rejected when there is not the face to face connection. A select few on here have actually met me (@clever_user_name to name one). NOW, put me in a face to face setting and I will be very intimidated...very shy, awkward, a total introvert. I don't want someone to look at me and tell me no. Online rejection is so much easier for me to handle than physical rejection/confrontation.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    skctilidie wrote: »
    When I speak of intimidation in this thread it’s not from a physical or mental place of fear. In my case it’s where I read the posts of someone and start to paint a mental picture of someone’s personality and their attributes. I enjoy reading their thoughts and sense of humor. Then the thought of sending a friend request was intimidating because there’s the chance of rejection from someone you’ve come to like.

Hope this makes sense.

Exactly. I didn’t feel intimated by posting in the forum for more than a week or two once I started, but I’m just now getting past hating sending friend requests and thinking about them anxiously for days if not weeks before actually hitting send. If I am sending one, it’s because I enjoy someone’s posts and the thought of them possibly rejecting it was very intimidating.

And I was very excited to see your friend request @skctilidie!
  • skctilidie
    Options
    rhenry2424 wrote: »

Hope this makes sense.

And I was very excited to see your friend request @skctilidie!

Aww, I’m so glad I worked up the nerve to send it!
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options

Hope this makes sense.

Doesn't help when MFP deletes the friend requests.
    Twice.
  • skctilidie
    Options
    My "intimidation" comes from not visiting these forums too often. I spend most of my time in the monthly running challenges where I am more confident and comfortable. Venturing over here into the dark side where everyone is friends and witty and young and good looking... well... it can be a little daunting...lol... but it's so damn entertaining I can't help but peek in from time to time....

If it turns out that you’re as bad a judge of age as I am, stick around and you’ll learn that Chit Chat is not collectively as young as you might have thought. I have been dumbfounded time and again to find out that someone I’d have guessed to me mid-20s at the most is actually my age or older.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,208 Member
    Options

Hope this makes sense.

Doesn't help when MFP deletes the friend requests.
    Twice.

Perfect example. I thought you hated me. Hahaha
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @skctilidie I believe you, but I would put good money on the fact that not many here are 60 or older...lol... 45 is young to me... :)
  • skctilidie
    Options
    @skctilidie I believe you, but I would put good money on the fact that not many here are 60 or older...lol... 45 is young to me... :)

Ehh, what’s it matter anyway? None of us are in elementary school anymore and I’d hope our real lives aren’t segregated by age. From what I’ve seen, you’ve fit in just fine here. Keep posting.
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

Hope this makes sense.

I’ve only sent one friend request for this very reason..lol. Luckily she accepted 😊
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    Most of my FL intimidated me when I first came to chit chat.

pretty sure I'm not one of those!!!

I’m with @kinetixtrainer2 in that “most of my FL was intimidating to me when I was new” feeling - and yes, you’re included in that, as is he. That said, I was very pleasantly surprised at how warm and welcoming and non-cliqueish people were when I decided that the only way to get over feeling intimidated by you beautiful people was to jump right in and start posting in the threads that intimidated me most. It still took a while but I’m finally feeling comfortable and no longer intimidated by anyone here. (OK, maybe slightly so sometimes because @SabAteNine can take selfies that are a work of art and my attempts at recreating them have so far been really pathetic.)
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Who here is or was intimidated by @kinetixtrainer2 ?

Because that might be the best example I can think of for someone who would never do it intentionally

I am just intimidated by his arm.

have u seen his toosh?

we have all seen his toosh :D:D:D:D
    pquxvwehzm4j.jpeg

for those of you that haven't :D:D

Do you have this saved or something? Also, how the hell do I intimidate you?

You’re someone who is easy to spot as being hilarious and well-loved here. Sample size of 1 here, but I thought you were pretty intimidating until I got to know you because it seems nearly impossible to match your ability to post just the right funny comment at any given moment.

this is exactly right for @Clever_User_Name !!!
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Options

Hope this makes sense.

completely makes sense and I'm pretty sure most of use are thinking of it in the same way!! I know I am
  • skctilidie
    Options

I’m with @kinetixtrainer2 in that “most of my FL was intimidating to me when I was new” feeling - and yes, you’re included in that, as is he. That said, I was very pleasantly surprised at how warm and welcoming and non-cliqueish people were when I decided that the only way to get over feeling intimidated by you beautiful people was to jump right in and start posting in the threads that intimidated me most. It still took a while but I’m finally feeling comfortable and no longer intimidated by anyone here. (OK, maybe slightly so sometimes because @SabAteNine can take selfies that are a work of art and my attempts at recreating them have so far been really pathetic.)

Because that might be the best example I can think of for someone who would never do it intentionally

have u seen his toosh?

pquxvwehzm4j.jpeg

You’re someone who is easy to spot as being hilarious and well-loved here. Sample size of 1 here, but I thought you were pretty intimidating until I got to know you because it seems nearly impossible to match your ability to post just the right funny comment at any given moment.

With as frequently as we speak for each other, you and I might just be forced to meet up in the middle somewhere and prove we both exist. :wink:
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

Hope this makes sense.

Were you shy when you first asked your wife out for a date? ;)
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

:heartbreak:
    This makes me sad. I guess you never really know how you make people feel, but I have never tried to intimidate anyone. Except for with my banana. @denny_mac and @Motorsheen are justified in being intimidated

I missed this.

It was only because you were so well liked and funny. Now stop being sad :smirk:
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Options

have u seen his toosh?

pquxvwehzm4j.jpeg

With as frequently as we speak for each other, you and I might just be forced to meet up in the middle somewhere and prove we both exist. :wink:

lol as proof that we are not actually the same person! or maybe we are...
  • skctilidie
    Options

have u seen his toosh?

pquxvwehzm4j.jpeg

I would be really sad if it turned out you’re just some second personality/a figment of my imagination and not my actual long lost twin.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Options

have u seen his toosh?

pquxvwehzm4j.jpeg

I would be really sad if it turned out you’re just some second personality/a figment of my imagination and not my actual long lost twin.

bwahahahah so ... as in you have a split personality and are logged onto two difference computers at once so you can respond to your own posts :D