You Intimidate Me

Options

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Bacon intimidated me, for some reason I was just incapable of reading/understanding him well. He always left me scratching my head.

Bacon was such a sweet boy. :sad:

Not saying he was bad, he seemed like a really nice guy. He just has a way of totally losing me, or I had a way of totally not following him. We would be chatting along and then I was just like, yup, no idea whats going on anymore. Then what do you do???? Not that he has been the only one I have ever had that issue with, but it was more often than not when I talked to him.

Haaa! Bacon had a language barrier with most people I think.
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    skctilidie wrote: »
    Most of my FL intimidated me when I first came to chit chat.

pretty sure I'm not one of those!!!

I’m with @kinetixtrainer2 in that “most of my FL was intimidating to me when I was new” feeling - and yes, you’re included in that, as is he. That said, I was very pleasantly surprised at how warm and welcoming and non-cliqueish people were when I decided that the only way to get over feeling intimidated by you beautiful people was to jump right in and start posting in the threads that intimidated me most. It still took a while but I’m finally feeling comfortable and no longer intimidated by anyone here. (OK, maybe slightly so sometimes because @SabAteNine can take selfies that are a work of art and my attempts at recreating them have so far been really pathetic.)
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Who here is or was intimidated by @kinetixtrainer2 ?

Because that might be the best example I can think of for someone who would never do it intentionally

I am just intimidated by his arm.

have u seen his toosh?

we have all seen his toosh :D:D:D:D
    pquxvwehzm4j.jpeg

for those of you that haven't :D:D

Do you have this saved or something? Also, how the hell do I intimidate you?

You’re someone who is easy to spot as being hilarious and well-loved here. Sample size of 1 here, but I thought you were pretty intimidating until I got to know you because it seems nearly impossible to match your ability to post just the right funny comment at any given moment.

this is exactly right for @Clever_User_Name !!!

With as frequently as we speak for each other, you and I might just be forced to meet up in the middle somewhere and prove we both exist. :wink:

lol as proof that we are not actually the same person! or maybe we are...

I would be really sad if it turned out you’re just some second personality/a figment of my imagination and not my actual long lost twin.

bwahahahah so ... as in you have a split personality and are logged onto two difference computers at once so you can respond to your own posts :D

Exactly. I’d hate to think that I send so many snaps to an alternate personality instead of an actual person. :D
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    If you let people intimidate you in a web forum then I am concerned with how poorly you would handle a physical confrontation.

Just sayin'

DISCLOSURE: I teach Combatives, Defensive Tactics, and Personal Protection

I feel like you’re offering me a free class, which I accept with pleasure
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    Most of my FL intimidated me when I first came to chit chat.

pretty sure I'm not one of those!!!

I’m with @kinetixtrainer2 in that “most of my FL was intimidating to me when I was new” feeling - and yes, you’re included in that, as is he. That said, I was very pleasantly surprised at how warm and welcoming and non-cliqueish people were when I decided that the only way to get over feeling intimidated by you beautiful people was to jump right in and start posting in the threads that intimidated me most. It still took a while but I’m finally feeling comfortable and no longer intimidated by anyone here. (OK, maybe slightly so sometimes because @SabAteNine can take selfies that are a work of art and my attempts at recreating them have so far been really pathetic.)

Because that might be the best example I can think of for someone who would never do it intentionally

I am just intimidated by his arm.

have u seen his toosh?

we have all seen his toosh :D:D:D:D
    pquxvwehzm4j.jpeg

for those of you that haven't :D:D

Do you have this saved or something? Also, how the hell do I intimidate you?

You’re someone who is easy to spot as being hilarious and well-loved here. Sample size of 1 here, but I thought you were pretty intimidating until I got to know you because it seems nearly impossible to match your ability to post just the right funny comment at any given moment.

this is exactly right for @Clever_User_Name !!!

With as frequently as we speak for each other, you and I might just be forced to meet up in the middle somewhere and prove we both exist. :wink:

lol as proof that we are not actually the same person! or maybe we are...

I would be really sad if it turned out you’re just some second personality/a figment of my imagination and not my actual long lost twin.

bwahahahah so ... as in you have a split personality and are logged onto two difference computers at once so you can respond to your own posts :D

Exactly. I’d hate to think that I send so many snaps to an alternate personality instead of an actual person. :D

All I can think of is that movie Split

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpGKumxiGg
  • caco_ethes
    Options

He actually seems like the least intimidating person! I think he is very kind and supportive

Clearly he’s never verbally abused you based on your hygiene

Hrmph
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

He actually seems like the least intimidating person! I think he is very kind and supportive

Clearly he’s never verbally abused you based on your hygiene

Hrmph

Did you have a bit of melted ice cream on your chin when you posted a selfie?
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I was intimidated by anyone. In awe of everyone and a little bit out of my depth perhaps. There were some people who I never sent a friend request to just because I thought they wouldn't want to be friends with an amoeba like me. And now I am friends with them and they are awesome, but not quite as exclusive as I thought they were
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    I love the forums and lurk around a lot. I want to join in and I would love to debate and joke with people but I am scared of being made to look like an idiot.....because.... well I can be an idiot. Also Sarcasm is my default setting and not everyone gets it.

It can be intimidating to comment on posts that consist of mostly the same 4 or 5 contributors who are bouncing off each other. It is like interjecting on a private conversation in real life. You want to join in but you are afraid that an awkward silence will ensue and then they will just go back to talking amongst themselves while you quietly back away wishing you hadn't said anything.

<quietly backs away>

HA!! Thats me most of the time. but then I get board and say whatever and if it's to weird or off I just get overlooked most of the time people won't say anything or you will find those others who get you and find more friends :)
  • skctilidie
    Options
    I love the forums and lurk around a lot. I want to join in and I would love to debate and joke with people but I am scared of being made to look like an idiot.....because.... well I can be an idiot. Also Sarcasm is my default setting and not everyone gets it.

It can be intimidating to comment on posts that consist of mostly the same 4 or 5 contributors who are bouncing off each other. It is like interjecting on a private conversation in real life. You want to join in but you are afraid that an awkward silence will ensue and then they will just go back to talking amongst themselves while you quietly back away wishing you hadn't said anything.

<quietly backs away>

HA!! Thats me most of the time. but then I get board and say whatever and if it's to weird or off I just get overlooked most of the time people won't say anything or you will find those others who get you and find more friends :)

That. Some days I read everything and comment on very little, while other days I post everywhere and just no longer care if what I say is a bit weird or gets skipped by most other posters. I’ve found some great friends via those oddball comments, though.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    Most of you did when I started to visit the forum and some still do. I remember recently accepting a friend invitation I would have extended myself before if it wasn't for feeling a bit.. so-and-so. Of course I realize it's all in my chicken mind. You're all hella nice, even though sometimes I really get lost in what's discussed. :smiley:

you intimidate me. you are to beautiful for words and take amazing pictures.
    Thank you. And I'm sorry to hear this! I am probably the least intimidating, internally panicky and sometimes self-doubting person around here. I will now proceed to send you that friend request I wanted to send like a month ago.

(OK, maybe slightly so sometimes because @SabAteNine can take selfies that are a work of art and my attempts at recreating them have so far been really pathetic.)
    Michelle, they are great, and you are kicka**. And I feel weird lately posting - coming from about 10 years of maybe taking a selfie every six months, and finding this community, now I just wonder, am I overdoing it? Is it weird? It's too much, right? Refer to the panic comment above.

This thread is like group therapy. @caco_ethes scored a winner again.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

<quietly backs away>

I do it all the time. Its just kinda how you get started. Keep in mind no one can see you, its not like real life where people can see you walk up and shift the circle to let you in. You just gotta jump right in there.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    I've never felt intimidated by anyone here. I recognize some of the regulars' names, of course. I don't pay too much attention. When threads devolve into what I assume are inside jokes and/or flirtation among the same circle of folks, I leave because it's not interesting to me but I certainly don't feel intimidated by anyone.

I think a few feel this way..
  • R3d_butt3rfly
    R3d_butt3rfly Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been intimidated by anyone here. I admire many from afar, like I did at first with @CoffeeAndContour. Knowing she found me intimidating seems a little shocking but I'm glad she decided to add me anyway and now I get to stalk her from upclose instead from afar ;)

As for my big bro @kinetixtrainer2 He never intimidated me. I always knew he was a delicate flower :p
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I was and still am intimidated by many posters. Occasionally I interject and reply. Mainly I stay on the chit-chat and fun threads - I mean, how can you mess up posting on the "Would you kiss the person above..." thread? And like the others, it is not you all, it is me. My self confidence level has always been low - I think it stems from several things

1) Growing up short - I am 5'2 now. Imagine being the shortest person in every class - even shorter than some of the girls, and getting picked on all the time. Being shoved into lockers is a real thing, my friends.

2) Lack of friends - I was the nerd in school. People wanted to cheat off me. I didn't let them. I never told on them, but teachers always found out. So, growing up, I had one real friend that stopped being my friend when I was a Junior. Haven't talked to him since.

3) My constant failings in life - my always feeling like I am not providing enough for my family; like I am always letting people down.

Wow - this totally took a turn, didn't it. I feel like deleting this and pretending like I never typed it. But, I came this far, and might as well post it. But I am intimidated and scared of people's responses....

You are one of the truly good ones here .. what Meg said.. you're a good egg.
  • skctilidie
    Options
    Most of you did when I started to visit the forum and some still do. I remember recently accepting a friend invitation I would have extended myself before if it wasn't for feeling a bit.. so-and-so. Of course I realize it's all in my chicken mind. You're all hella nice, even though sometimes I really get lost in what's discussed. :smiley:

you intimidate me. you are to beautiful for words and take amazing pictures.
    Thank you. And I'm sorry to hear this! I am probably the least intimidating, internally panicky and sometimes self-doubting person around here. I will now proceed to send you that friend request I wanted to send like a month ago.

(OK, maybe slightly so sometimes because @SabAteNine can take selfies that are a work of art and my attempts at recreating them have so far been really pathetic.)
    Michelle, they are great, and you are kicka**. And I feel weird lately posting - coming from about 10 years of maybe taking a selfie every six months, and finding this community, now I just wonder, am I overdoing it? Is it weird? It's too much, right? Refer to the panic comment above.

This thread is like group therapy. @caco_ethes scored a winner again.

You are definitely not overdoing the selfies. It’s always a joy to see your face!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

<quietly backs away>

That. Some days I read everything and comment on very little, while other days I post everywhere and just no longer care if what I say is a bit weird or gets skipped by most other posters. I’ve found some great friends via those oddball comments, though.

You are both right. I should just jump in after all what could possibly go wrong. :smiley:

53efeo8nhsnz.png
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    When I speak of intimidation in this thread it’s not from a physical or mental place of fear. In my case it’s where I read the posts of someone and start to paint a mental picture of someone’s personality and their attributes. I enjoy reading their thoughts and sense of humor. Then the thought of sending a friend request was intimidating because there’s the chance of rejection from someone you’ve come to like.

Hope this makes sense.

Were you shy when you first asked your wife out for a date? ;)

My wife actually asked me out.

Really? That's kind of cool, actually. :)