Women and jealousy

Options
jaggerhawks
jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
From my few years on earth and even shorter time on this forum, it's apparent that women can be jealous beings. So my question is, do women have some sort of hormone that spikes jealousy levels? Not saying men don't get jealous too, but as a man I've never looked at someone much more attractive or more built than me and actually envied him. I may aspire to be better, but I can't grasp the concept beyond that.

So, do you ladies have this hormone, and what is it called?

Replies

• CubanSammich
    Options
    do you mean envy swole bro?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    that would mean your a good person OP...some are not
  • CubanSammich
    Options
    if thats the case, women just hate on each other, they have to be the most prettiest, most best dressed in the room. They just have to. and if another girl is prettier than her, most likey she wants her to die in an aweful subway accident.
  • chimanlifts1
    Options
    Both men and women get jealous. But yes, generally the cattiness comes out in women around each other, while bromances can bloom more easily among men. I think it's because they're from venus and we're from mars.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    We don't like our competition.

We've been wired since we were young that we should aspire to be the prettiest girl in the room, always. Because that girl gets everything good. Beauty means everything. Its all we've been told our entire lives. So naturally, we get jealous of our competition, her presence knocks your worth down a few pegs.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Evolution. We want the best men so we can have the best babies. Duh.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    From my few years on earth and even shorter time on this thread, it's apparent that women can be jealous beings. So my question is, do women have some sort of hormone that spikes jealousy levels? Not saying men don't get jealous too, but as a man I've never looked at someone much more attractive or more built than me and actually envied him. I may aspire to be better, but I can't grasp the concept beyond that.

So, do you ladies have this hormone, and what is it called?

Most men I have met are like you... until another man eyes their woman!

I have met lots of non-jealous women types too:)

Jealousy usually comes from some sort of threat.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Ehh it's a bit of a generalization but yes, women can be very jealous beings. Then again, some males have to establish themselves as the alpha male in the room.

People in general, men and women, are competitive by nature.

Edit: but what I think you're referring to is cattiness, which may or may not come out of jealousy. If only women could just punch each other and get it out of their system without holding grudges :laugh:
  • babyluthi
    Options
    if thats the case, women just hate on each other, they have to be the most prettiest, most best dressed in the room. They just have to. and if another girl is prettier than her, most likey she wants her to die in an aweful subway accident.

Don't be deceived. Women don't dress up for men, they dress up for other women;)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I actually think a woman's ability to be a jealous bish is directly related to how poorly she's been treated over the years of her life. If she's young and has been treated well, she's barely ever jealous; if she's old and has been treated well she's even less jealous. If, however, she's young and has been treated poorly, she's learning to envy the lives of others and if she's old and has been treated poorly for years, she's bitter and angry and hurt... and very jealous.

So next time you wonder why someone is jealous, consider they could have been terribly hurt at one time.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    It's not what women HAVE.. its what they DONT have..

Its called maturity. some get it sooner than others. Some never get it.

Those that have this "cattiness / jealousy" thing between other women plain & simple just havent gotten it yet!
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's more psychology than hormones.

Perhaps taking a psyc 101 class would be helpful for you.

It comes down to competition for a mate.

Not every woman is like that, but almost everyone has at least thoughts of not feeling quite up to par to someone else based on looks or money. It's natural.

What's awesome is that we have the ability to not act on these thoughts and feelings.
  • babyluthi
    Options

Those that have this "cattiness / jealousy" thing between other women plain & simple just havent gotten it yet!

This.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    We don't like our competition.

We've been wired since we were young that we should aspire to be the prettiest girl in the room, always. Because that girl gets everything good. Beauty means everything. Its all we've been told our entire lives. So naturally, we get jealous of our competition, her presence knocks your worth down a few pegs.

If my WORTH was ever judged by another womans "being"... that doesn't say a whole lot about my worth as a person, let alone as a woman. Just my opinion.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options

^^^this
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of things at play. My feminist side says that women are taught to feel less than. So we become jealous more easily. Our society has a way of degrading women, so we will often feel less than. They say jealousy is often bred from low self esteem. We get low self esteem from how the media portrays us, belittles us, and demands too much for us. It would make anyone a little snarky.

From a biological standpoint, I would guess that women become territorial during their cycles. From an evolutionary standpoint, it is the female humans perogative to land a man that will stay with her through pregnancy and the rearing of children. So we hate on other women and degrade them, hate them, etc because we want to keep our man! Men on the other hand can spread their seed however they like with no need to stay and help. This is strictly from an evolutionary and biological standpoint. I think lots of guys are upstanding and feel compelled to stay and help raise children.

If you're asking about specific hormones, estrogen and progesterone would probably be the culprits.

Sources: meh, I was in college a very long time studying biology, evolution and gender and sex studies.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    To the op, No. This is a very inaccurate statement. The explanation, long version, is too long. The short one is people...male/female doesn't matter.... People that are connected with their 'true self' do not have these feelings almost at all or ever. People that do have these feelings have things they need to work through. Usually they have unresolved childhood issues and were raised in at least a somewhat dysfunctional manner.
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I actually think a woman's ability to be a jealous bish is directly related to how poorly she's been treated over the years of her life. If she's young and has been treated well, she's barely ever jealous; if she's old and has been treated well she's even less jealous. If, however, she's young and has been treated poorly, she's learning to envy the lives of others and if she's old and has been treated poorly for years, she's bitter and angry and hurt... and very jealous.

So next time you wonder why someone is jealous, consider they could have been terribly hurt at one time.

Good job, friend!
  • xoxomarshmallow
    Options
    I only get jealous because I hate myself.
  • barbaradetz
    barbaradetz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't think its a hormone. I believe its called low self esteem. Some people have to put others down to feel better about themselves.