Women and jealousy

Options

Replies

• Front_Runner
    Options
    Not saying men don't get jealous too, but as a man I've never looked at someone much more attractive or more built than me and actually envied him. I may aspire to be better, but I can't grasp the concept beyond that.

OP - if that's you in the pic... um, you probably don't have much "competition." Well built, good looking, fit young man.

Just sayin'...

(By the way - I am NOT hitting on ya... happily married old lady here! Haha! Just stating a fact.)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

Most men I have met are like you... until another man eyes their woman!

I have met lots of non-jealous women types too:)

Jealousy usually comes from some sort of threat.
    Well put...jealousy comes from some sort of threat....I would like to substitute the word "envy" for jealousy.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    From my few years on earth and even shorter time on this forum, it's apparent that women can be jealous beings. So my question is, do women have some sort of hormone that spikes jealousy levels? Not saying men don't get jealous too, but as a man I've never looked at someone much more attractive or more built than me and actually envied him. I may aspire to be better, but I can't grasp the concept beyond that.

So, do you ladies have this hormone, and what is it called?
    What made you decide women are jealous? How is it you think women are more jealous than men?

Just an observation-I haven't experienced men being jealous of each other's physical qualities and becoming catty about it.
    Still vague...give an example, or use more specific terms.
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    From my few years on earth and even shorter time on this forum, it's apparent that women can be jealous beings. So my question is, do women have some sort of hormone that spikes jealousy levels? Not saying men don't get jealous too, but as a man I've never looked at someone much more attractive or more built than me and actually envied him. I may aspire to be better, but I can't grasp the concept beyond that.

What made you decide women are jealous? How is it you think women are more jealous than men?

Just an observation-I haven't experienced men being jealous of each other's physical qualities and becoming catty about it.
    Still vague...give an example, or use more specific terms.

The people in this thread generally know what I'm referring to. This seems like a particularly interesting subject to you.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Women can be catty things....and very vicious. Other women can be our worst critics. I have had a very difficult time with certain female superiors and coworkers because of the issues. Long psychological explanation behind it, which Ginger seems to have touched on already.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    screw it, of I rock a dress at 158 lbs and look gpod doing it than just deal with it. you can be jealous of me but keep it to ypur self. Because i already know U rock.
  • _KrisMarie_
    Options
    Not saying men don't get jealous too, but as a man I've never looked at someone much more attractive or more built than me and actually envied him. I may aspire to be better, but I can't grasp the concept beyond that.

OP - if that's you in the pic... um, you probably don't have much "competition." Well built, good looking, fit young man.

Just sayin'...

(By the way - I am NOT hitting on ya... happily married old lady here! Haha! Just stating a fact.)

:laugh: That's probably true; maybe men are just better at hiding it. We tend to wear our hearts on our sleeves.

And hey, hey, hey! Let's not be calling ourselves old at 36!! :wink:
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    From my few years on earth and even shorter time on this thread, it's apparent that women can be jealous beings. So my question is, do women have some sort of hormone that spikes jealousy levels? Not saying men don't get jealous too, but as a man I've never looked at someone much more attractive or more built than me and actually envied him. I may aspire to be better, but I can't grasp the concept beyond that.

Most men I have met are like you... until another man eyes their woman!

I have met lots of non-jealous women types too:)

Jealousy usually comes from some sort of threat.

Exactly, it goes both ways. The threat doesn't have to be real though, perceived threat is often enough. Security and confidence with yourself, or the lack thereof, plays a very big part.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I get jealous just the same as any other girl. I think we all have a little bit of it. Lol
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Just sayin'...

Hahah thank you, though there is plenty of competition out there I'm sure
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should only speak for myself, but through collegiate study on women-to-women hate and women's self-hate, as well as some scientific facts that are well established, here is a Generalized overview of some of the main contributing factors.

It's because we hate ourselves and are insecure. From a very young age we see skinny women in all types of media and are constantly told that these women are beautiful. We judge other women constantly and hate knowing they usually are judging us right back. We have trouble admitting that we are responsible for our weight, and yet often have underlying reasons to put the blame elsewhere: we have higher rates of depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues. Our body composition is different from that of a male, and our different mix of basic hormones - testosterone and estrogen, really impact everything from our energy levels to our moods, and to the way we deal with our weight loss. We can't lose as much weight and tone by serious strength training with heavy weights. We crave different foods than men - ever noticed how men love steak and women love carbs? Some other contributing social factors are verbal and emotional abuse we have likely suffered to one degree or another from parents, peers, friends, and significant others. We try to dress well, shave all the time, do our hair and makeup, etc. because this is the social norm in our society. So yes, we are often more sensitive about our looks - even if we know we have some great features or body shape or weight - yes even women who have the beauty that society tells us is the best and most desirable - we still often resent men for not having to shave, do hair, use makeup, etc. as well as get jealous of other women who have the traits we desire.

I know this thread was sort of meant as a joke, but do you really think jealousy of other women is due to self hate and insecurity? Don't you think jealousy is a natural response to seeing others with something we want? Acting on it is a different issue, but the emotion is perfectly natural and harmless IMO.
  • sophiemama
    sophiemama Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do not consider myself a jealous person. Have I ever been jealous of another female? Absolutely, I'm only human. I've had very beautiful women talk to my husband (in a friendly way) and I never gave it a second thought. Why? Because no threat. I've had very unattractive women hit on my husband and I didn't get jealous. Why? Because I didn't find them to be a threat. But when me and my husband first got married his ex girlfriend got in contact with him, I went from my normal laid back calm self to bat s*** crazy! Why? Because an ex is always a threat.

Now for the catty behavior, I just don't understand it. I can look at a woman and think damn I wish I had her legs, stomach... but I never feel the need to put down another female because they look better than me. That's just silly
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I typically dont get jealous over catty stuff, usually its if im not being noticed for the hard work Im doing when someone gets recognition for something they have done half- a$$ed
  • GingerAuburnRedhead
    Options
    Thank you fragile, yes I used generalizations, but my BA in psychology and minor in gender studies, as well as serous undergrad studies of smart, successful women who still have such deep and painful self-hate and unrealistic self-images all point to the issues I highlighted. PS not trying to brag, just trying to say my post wasn't pure opinion, but largely scientific fact.
  • GingerAuburnRedhead
    Options
    In response to jsl...

Yes, it is largely a natural emotional response, I was just trying to highlight the sad epidemic of insecure women who are too often secret self-haters. And the disproportionate numbers of underlying mental health issues between the sexes.
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do my best to support all my sisters. Oh what the heck -- brothers too. Doesn't mean that I don't occasionally have a moment of insecurity that could be perceived as jealousy. Alas, I am an imperfect creature ... but I'm working on it.

I suspect a certain amount of insecurity/envy/jealousy results from questionable or missing positive reinforcement in our formative years. It's no secret that in many families boys have been encouraged to reach for the sky, whereas girls have been taught how to attract an acceptable mate so that they may be deemed 'successful'.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Root Cause Analysis Dept.
    Mothers with daughters: your daughter isn't going to believe you when you tell her shes beautiful one moment and the next moment look at yourself in the mirror and tear yourself apart. Father's, I think share the bulk of that responsibility and also-- leading by example towards her mother and her-- teaching his daughter what respect is.

We men step up and do that, we nip a lot of this societal, pop-culture claptrap in the bud.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It's not a "women" thing, in that it's not something that we are born to. It is a result of our society placing a ridiculous value on beauty and attractiveness. From the time a female child is born, she is taught by society to be meek, pretty and feminine. Girls are taught to compete with one another, instead of embracing each other as sisters. For many women, beauty is their only source of power. As a result, many women covet beauty in the same way that many men covet power or wealth; they see the beauty of others as a threat to their own self worth.

Don't blame women for this- blame the culture that perpetuates the cycle.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    What I have learned from this thread: I am a man and should expect my balls to drop any day now.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What I have learned from this thread: I am a man and should expect my balls to drop any day now.

You are just jealous.