Garlic Diet

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    She's not going to be happy when her doctor says everything that's already been said on here.

Ha! Right? Unless her doctor is an MD and not a nutritionist.

Or he's a doctor looking to sell his garlic diet book to her. In all seriousness, the doctor will probably laugh at that garlic diet suggestion as he should.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    She's not going to be happy when her doctor says everything that's already been said on here.

Ha! Right? Unless her doctor is an MD and not a nutritionist.

Or he's a doctor looking to sell his garlic diet book to her. In all seriousness, the doctor will probably laugh at that garlic diet suggestion as he should.

And suggest she just do an 800 calorie diet instead!
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    it may have a higher thermogenic effect (foods who's calories don't 'cost' as much due to how the body processes and stores them) but i am not sure and have never heard that it does. garlic is very good for your health, though esp your heart. but eating that much in a day, the smell will def start to come out of your pores and you will quickly leave the smell of garlic on everything. if you are interested in taking it for heart health, you can get supplements that don't make you smell as much as eating it whole.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    I eat garlic flavored things errrrday and still lost weight and ate garlic flavored this when I was obese. It’s all about calories. Don’t fall for those gimmicks
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here, even though the OP looks to be long gone.

Many many products specifically use the words "promote" or "help" for doing things. I've come to the realization that when they say that, it means that they don't actually do the things. Those are things that they can easily state and have them be "not evaluated by the FDA" or somesuch. It also makes the claims extremely vague and misleading. "Helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles", for example. No real claim. Doesn't actually remove wrinkles, just helps reduce their appearance.

To me there is a difference between claiming something will make you lose weight versus claiming it will "promote" weight loss.

That said, it appeared to me that OP thought there would be a tangible effect....to which I, and most of you, doubt.

But the point is most people buy these things believing that they will cause weight loss, not because they think that it doesn't because of the vagueness of the product sales fluff.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Mazda_Mx5 wrote: »
    You are better off grabbing a hand full of Almonds.

No way! At least garlic is only a few calories. A handful of almonds would set me back 200 calories which I would rather spend on ice cream in this heat.

iv been obsessed with icecream lately xD I take a handfull of frozen strawberries and a 80 cal cup of greek yogurt and blend it up. Sometimes with a squirt of lemonade liquid drink mix. Strawberry lemonade is such an underrated flavor lol. So perfect big bowl for 150-175 cals. winning in the heat lol

Throw some protein in there and you have a meal. I use a vanilla flavored protein and it tastes great. I do that very same thing all the time. If I want it even more "frozen", I throw a few more ice cubes in.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here, even though the OP looks to be long gone.

Many many products specifically use the words "promote" or "help" for doing things. I've come to the realization that when they say that, it means that they don't actually do the things. Those are things that they can easily state and have them be "not evaluated by the FDA" or somesuch. It also makes the claims extremely vague and misleading. "Helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles", for example. No real claim. Doesn't actually remove wrinkles, just helps reduce their appearance.

To me there is a difference between claiming something will make you lose weight versus claiming it will "promote" weight loss.

That said, it appeared to me that OP thought there would be a tangible effect....to which I, and most of you, doubt.

But the point is most people buy these things believing that they will cause weight loss, not because they think that it doesn't because of the vagueness of the product sales fluff.

That's actually the point I'm trying to make (probably awkwardly). The claims, which are not evaluated, are vague (on purpose by using the words "promotes" or "helps") allowing those who do not engage in critical thinking to take them at face value. It's a genius marketing ploy that works across so many products.

Doesn't really explain the garlic thing though, because it doesn't come with a tag saying it promotes weight loss :lol:

I am fairly sure the OP was just being argumentative about her wording.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    https://dailymotion.com/video/x5skq3p

An episode of "Good Eats" featuring Vlad and his fear of the white bulb. Enjoy!