50 somethings

Replies

• GrannyGoes4it
    GrannyGoes4it Posts: 59 Member
    I did a shrimp boil, played chicken foot dominos, stayed out of the sweets thanks to good Ole Dr.Atkins bars, stayed out of the corn, had a tiny tater, did pork rinds and cheese instead of crackers and cheese, made my cole slaw with stevie and erythrol everyone liked it, did my diary, stayed in my carb range. my first real challenge since starting keto.
    How did everyone else do?
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    I had tilapia, fruit and pickled beets. Nothing too exciting, but it was good!
  • mrsd4567
    mrsd4567 Posts: 2 Member
    51 years old here. Getting married for the 3rd time here next weekend (3rd time has to be the charm). In the process of trying to lose weight to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Started this whole process at 172. Goal is 140 and I'm currently at 158.6 Losing weight is a struggle for me as I am hypothyroid due to having thyroid cancer and having my thyroid gland removed and then doing radioactive iodine to ensure that what was left was gone. Looking for friends to help motivate.
    Thanks
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    I did a shrimp boil, played chicken foot dominos, stayed out of the sweets thanks to good Ole Dr.Atkins bars, stayed out of the corn, had a tiny tater, did pork rinds and cheese instead of crackers and cheese, made my cole slaw with stevie and erythrol everyone liked it, did my diary, stayed in my carb range. my first real challenge since starting keto.
    How did everyone else do?

I grilled salmon and brats for a family dinner. Children brought goodies - spicy guacamole and tortilla chips and pasta salad and fresh fruit. Also had some adult beverages. Ate everything - went over the target by about 500 calories - give or take. That's fine. I regret nothing! :)
  • GrannyGoes4it
    GrannyGoes4it Posts: 59 Member
    Good for you, no regrets and hop back on the wagon
  • n29taylor
    n29taylor Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. I’m on my 5th week of logging my food diary and joined a gym. At 55 I’ve found it’s more challenging to lose weight, but this app is keeping me motivated. Exercising 3X per week has helped me feel stronger and have less joint pain. Only lost two lbs so far but muscles are becoming more defined, so there’s that!
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Bumping this to page 1! Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • alteredsteve175
    Y'all have a great weekend. Deadlifts today - platelet donation tomorrow morning - evening fishing - and some meal prep at some point.
  • Flab2FitJV
    Flab2FitJV Posts: 6 Member
    Just turned 52. So far I’ve lost 40 pounds in 8 months. I use MFP for a food journal. Haven’t looked at the community pages until yesterday. Looking for motivation to get to the gym. I have a membership but can’t get the motivation to go. My sister was supposed to go but that ended right after I joined. (Last November). Help!
  • janavorce wrote: »
    Just turned 52. So far I’ve lost 40 pounds in 8 months. I use MFP for a food journal. Haven’t looked at the community pages until yesterday. Looking for motivation to get to the gym. I have a membership but can’t get the motivation to go. My sister was supposed to go but that ended right after I joined. (Last November). Help!

I’m 53 been on MFP for two months now and have lost 13lbs. In my experience if you don’t want to goto the gym then it’s not your thing! Find something that you like to do, walk the neighborhood, dance to music in the privacy of your own home, referee youth soccer, the possibilities are endless. When you find something that you Love to do you won’t need the motivation to do it! I personally can’t stand the gym.
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    janavorce wrote: »

I’m 53 been on MFP for two months now and have lost 13lbs. In my experience if you don’t want to goto the gym then it’s not your thing! Find something that you like to do, walk the neighborhood, dance to music in the privacy of your own home, referee youth soccer, the possibilities are endless. When you find something that you Love to do you won’t need the motivation to do it! I personally can’t stand the gym.

Kathleen, this is awesome! I have always felt guilty about not being a gym person, so what you said just resonated with me! Once i get this walking boot off, I can't wait to get back to long walks, gardening and just being outside!
  • alteredsteve175

Kathleen, this is awesome! I have always felt guilty about not being a gym person, so what you said just resonated with me! Once i get this walking boot off, I can't wait to get back to long walks, gardening and just being outside!

IMHO, the important thing is to get off the couch and do something. Anything. Lots of people lose weight and/or maintain their weight and never go near a gym.
  • nataliew12
    nataliew12 Posts: 32 Member
    Hi! 53 and just started last friday. This hormone thing made me gain so much! Just looking to feel better! :D
  • tri2become1
    tri2become1 Posts: 9 Member
    It never gets any easier, especially after the big 5-0. #justsayin'
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member

IMHO, the important thing is to get off the couch and do something. Anything. Lots of people lose weight and/or maintain their weight and never go near a gym.

Agreed! I do belong to a gym, but still enjoy walks/light jogs and other outdoor activities when the weather is nice. And I love to dance -- don't get many opportunities to do so, but go when I can!
  • aapplewh
    aapplewh Posts: 8 Member
    Hi I’m 50 soon to be 51. Looking forward getting and giving motivation in the pursuit of my weight loss goal of 30 pounds. My first week back after being gone for a couple years. I’ve managed to log all of my meals and exercise. I’m looking forward to seeing some success. This week was a good week. 😁
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member

52 here as well, and I also don't go to a gym. I track my food on MFP, do some 30 or 60 minute walks, and occasionally go on the treadmill.
  • alteredsteve175
    Hey hey! It's the weekend. What do you all have planned?

It's deadlift day for me. The usual household chores. And some fishing today or tomorrow. Or maybe both days! :)
  • J_T_9_9
    J_T_9_9 Posts: 6 Member
    57 and going strong, would love to add some of my fellow 50ish folks as friends. Love to cycle!
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Hello..... lol I will be 50 in March 2019! Working towards being the best me ever! Let's have some fun!