8/19 working hard to finish plans and music handouts for this
    8/20 big charity Kanikapila(music jam) scheduled for Sunday while
    8/21 battening down for this hurricane which is probably
    8/22 going to derail the whole damned kanikapila anyway
    8/23 3.29...might as well run, then

Total 33.96

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png

I've been looking at scary storm pictures this morning. I hope you are safe and dry!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I took today as a rest day. Fatigue and late night (10 pm lol) got to me. Marathons are not for me. I get too tired now. And I get anxiety at any run over 10 miles. Despite knowing I can do 20. In snow. Ugh.

I've been thinking about you and this all morning. It really sounds like you are overtraining, and would benefit from a complete rest from running. Take a week off. Think about what your anxiety is all about when you go over that magic 10. I used to have a big problem getting over 7 miles, so I just started doing incremental runs that took me over the distance. Or rather, I got myself lost a few times, didn't check my watch, and didn't have any choice but to do more than 7, even if the last few miles beyond that were walking.

I did a marathon by training 3 shortish runs a week and one long run at weekends. If my long run was hitting the 20 mile mark, I probably did even LESS running during the week. My long run was probably more like 60% of my total mileage, nothing like the 30% maximum recommended. And my body thanked me for taking it easy. Yes, it took me seven and a half hours to get to the end of 27 miles, but it was a tough route.

I'm not saying you should follow my lead by any means, I'm probably just lucky, but think about it - how many of us here ACTUALLY follow the 'rules' of training plans?

Run no more than one ultra a year - @pastorvincent books two a week apart. Twice
    Always have a rest day - @AlphaHowls , yeah, right. Take it easy.....
    you can't train for a marathon on three days a week - ME!!!

etcetera etcetera.

@Stoshew71 wrote a good blog post once about training plans - worth reading through. Some of the gist of it is - you KNOW your body. If you are tired, rest. In the grand scheme of things, does it matter if you skip a week?

To which I would add: Long run no more than 35% (preferably 25%) of your weekly mileage.

My last two full weeks: 20 mile long runs, 45.6 and 46.3 weekly miles, um, 43% to 44% of weekly mileage. BWDIK? I've only actually completed 2 different marathon courses, aiming for my third in September. Got to my first marathon with a 22 mile long run in a 42 mile week and no designed speed work at all.

But then, I've been recovering from injury and now I'm building base, with 5 weeks to my marathon. My body would only handle so much beating, and I made the decision that the order of priority was 1) long run, 2) build weekly base, 3) speed work. So far, it seems to be working. We'll see how Wineglass goes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    8/1-2.66mi(2 hours aerial yoga)
    8/2- 1.01(1 hour aerial yoga)
    8/3- (2 hours of aerial hammock and hoop)
    8/4-nope
    8/5-nope
    8/6-marathon plan starts today. 3mi later
    8/7- 3mi unplugged
    8/8- rest day-no class tonight. dogs get shots
    8/9-(1 hour aerial yoga)
    8/10- (2 hours of aerial hammock and hoop)
    8/11-0
    8/12-nope faire day
    8/13-fell asleep
    8/14- 3mi
    8/15-(2 hours aerial yoga)
    8/16- 0
    8/17-6.5mi of run/walk/hike.
    8/18-3.51 mi road/trail
    8/19-8.65mi trail run-unplugged.
    8/20-0
    8/21-0
    8/22-4.01mi(2 hours aerial yoga)
    8/23-fell asleep
    8/24-overslept

stupid sleeping disorder. oh well. maybe tonight

gear
    shoes 2 120 and 60 dollars
    clothing no more than 15 dollars at tjmaxx
    waist pack 8
    bottle for me and dogs 8
    garmin 250
    sunglasses (oakleys 3 years old) 150 and 1 60 dollar pair of trail lenses. which were game changers

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso they thought i did too but i just have hypersomnia, very close to narcolepsy-my version. the main difference for me is i don't hit REM sleep like they do. i have to be careful not to fall asleep while driving or during an argument. sometimes, i run at home so i don't fall asleep while running.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Question of the Day: Since it is almost that time of year again, what do runners with glasses use to keep glasses from fogging while running in cold weather? Any experience with commercial anti-fogging sprays and glasses with anti-reflective coating? I don't want to dissolve the glare protection...
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @RunsOnEspresso they thought i did too but i just have hypersomnia, very close to narcolepsy-my version. the main difference for me is i don't hit REM sleep like they do. i have to be careful not to fall asleep while driving or during an argument. sometimes, i run at home so i don't fall asleep while running.

I don't fall asleep during any of that. They asked me all those questions. :/ I don't/can't fall asleep watching tv or reading either.

I was diagnosed with insomnia a few years ago but they kind were you can't stay asleep. I usually wake up around 3 and takes me a long time to fall back asleep if I ever actually do.
  • mbaker566
    Options

I don't fall asleep during any of that. They asked me all those questions. :/ I don't/can't fall asleep watching tv or reading either.

I was diagnosed with insomnia a few years ago but they kind were you can't stay asleep. I usually wake up around 3 and takes me a long time to fall back asleep if I ever actually do.

i go thru cycles. i'm slouching toward too much need for sleep. just finished insomnia cycle. mine is can't fall asleep though. yay me :wink:
  • sarahthes
    Options

Oh man much sympathy. I had that kind of insomnia when pregnant - I actually got more sleep with a newborn who wanted to be fed every 2-3 hours than I did for the 7 or so months previous when I was up at 2:30 AM every night and often not back asleep again for 3+ hours.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    rqukdqst197i.png

Tomorrow's trail race is gonna be FUN... guess I better not wear white socks!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

@RunsOnEspresso i hope you feel better soon!

I suffer from early waking insomnia as well. It sucks the life right out if you. For me, it comes in spells and there is no rhyme or reason to it. You should definitely have a sleep study. I had one done because I also sleep walk. There was not much they could do for me but, if you have apnea, treating it will do wonders for you. My dad said his cpap machine gave him a new life after he was diagnosed.

I am sure you tried everything at this point but here is what helped me (for what my advice is worth):

1) I tried all kinds of prescription and over the counter sleep aids and find plain old Benadryl works best. It is not habit forming and does not make me groggy in the morning.

2) I go to bed REALLY early when I start having issues. My husband tells me I have the bedtime of a toddler. It’s like my natural sleep cycle goes from 8pm - 3am. Sucks for my social life but so does exhaustion.

3) I can’t work out in in the afternoon or evening. It keeps me awake. I also don’t drink caffeine after my first morning cup of coffee.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Question of the Day: Since it is almost that time of year again, what do runners with glasses use to keep glasses from fogging while running in cold weather? Any experience with commercial anti-fogging sprays and glasses with anti-reflective coating? I don't want to dissolve the glare protection...

@sarahthes I'm interested in an answer to this too. I have tried everything, even rubbing saliva on the lenses. I had fog recently on some safety glasses at night. I think it was because of sweat from my face being hotter under the glasses than the air outside the glasses. But they were also safety glasses (i.e. very little room for air flow so nothing pops under the lenses).

I'm thinking about getting Lasik. I'm pretty close to running out of flex plan money for this year, so perhaps next year. But that won't solve for if wearing sunglasses or safety glasses outside.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options

@sarahthes I'm interested in an answer to this too. I have tried everything, even rubbing saliva on the lenses. I had fog recently on some safety glasses at night. I think it was because of sweat from my face being hotter under the glasses than the air outside the glasses. But they were also safety glasses (i.e. very little room for air flow so nothing pops under the lenses).

I'm thinking about getting Lasik. I'm pretty close to running out of flex plan money for this year, so perhaps next year. But that won't solve for if wearing sunglasses or safety glasses outside.

@sarahthes and @midwesterner85 while not perfect solution it is inexpensive. Last year I found online the idea of putting a very thin layer of dish soap (i.e. dawn, maybe liquid detergent like Tide might work, etc ) on the lenses closest to the eyes helped minimize fog build up. Instructions were to apply, let application dry and then lightly buff. Note: Don't apply soap or buff any on the outside lense as that becomes a frozen mess. I had moderate success approaching this way for sunglasses only. Agree that distance from face/venting also important as even this solution would fail if glasses were to close to head or on super cold days when wearing my balaclava and hot air from breathing rose up, etc.

http://dualsportalchemy.com/2013/08/tip-keeping-your-goggles-fog-free/
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Ugh. This makes me so angry. I ran across a homeless guy in bad shape on my running trail on Wednesday. We were under an extreme heat advisory & the trail was busy that time of day — so I stopped and asked if he was okay. He wasn’t. He was hungry, thirsty and possibly having a mental health crisis. I was so nervous stopping to help him but I am so glad I did. It could have been bad though....

I found a park ranger to assist and I hope he is okay now. He was very heat stressed and dehydrated. But.... how many women ran by him because they were apprehensive and worried? I’ve experienced a few nervous moments from jerks who vocalized inappropriate comments while I was running. A few rotten apples ruining it for the rest of humanity. Ugh.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/08/23/us/women-runners-tibbetts-harassment-trnd/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

I didn't read the article, but agree with your though about a few bad apples spoiling the whole barrel. I live in Iowa, so this has been on the news locally since her disappearance. Before anyone knew what happened even (it was suspected she was abducted while running), I was hearing comments like "she shouldn't have been wearing so little while out jogging." This is obviously a comment from someone who doesn't run in the heat. That's not relevant anyway... she can wear what she wants, and it isn't right to victim-blame. How is this still something said in 2018?!
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Just got news that UTMF has canceled the STY.

As I don't see myself running 170km anytime soon, I now have no mid-term goal (as all my training and racing for the next two years rotated around that race) and no motivation.

I will go wallow in my pain for a day or two before starting to look for well-organized 50 mile-ish races in interesting places.

Why did they cancel that?? That race ran along the same route as the big one.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I have the anti-reflective coating. I've had it so long, I'm not sure I notice it any more; there was a time, years ago, when I switched to it and it was very noticeable. The most recent value-added option I got was blue light filtering; I see that as blue spots on my glasses in the mirror when there's a light source (usually daylight) at my back.

My glasses do not fog over in cold weather, unless I cover my mouth. Then, if I'm careful to only exhale through my nose I can delay the onset; but since I don't cover my mouth until it gets down in the single digits F, this isn't common for where I live. I don't use commercial anti-fogging sprays, but one of the earlier comments about soap got me thinking. A few pair of glasses ago, the optician told me the best way to clean my glasses was ordinary hand soap and water. You dilute the hand soap a little, and rinse it off well; but I wonder if there's a very slight residue that's essentially the same thing as the anti-fogging stuff.

Best tip for running in the rain or extremely cold weather: Take two pair of glasses with me when I drive to wherever I'm running. Put my current pair in the case, and run with my next older pair. Then put that pair in its case and put on my clean current pair to drive home. It works great, when I remember to take both pair of glasses with me.