August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat @MobyCarp I am following my training plan. I think I have chronic fatigue from celiac. I have a sleep test tonight to see if I have any form of apnea. I have had all other things ruled out. No iron issues. No thyroid. No other autoimmune diseases (yet...knocks on wood). So we are down to apnea. I don't have any real symptoms (snore moderately not heavy, not falling asleep during day, and don't stop breathing) so they don't think it's apnea.

I've decided to add in more rest days though. I don't want to but I need to.

I have always struggled with double digit miles in my head despite running 4 (?) half marathons and training for two marathons. I am fine once I get going but its seeing the miles when planning my week my brain starts going uhhh no.

The hard thing is, just because you have chronic fatigue from celiac to explain being tired, that doesn't make you immune to overtraining in addition. I learned to ignore aches in my right foot and ankle because of arthritis . . . until one of those aches turned out to be Achilles tendinitis. Yeah, the arthritis means a lot of aches are meaningless; but they aren't ALL meaningless.

In particular, when you have a specific-to-you health or fitness issue, you need to watch how you react to the training plan. The canned training plans will all assume general health, whatever baseline of fitness they prescribe as a prerequisite, and staying healthy and uninjured for the entire training cycle. If reality fails to match all of these things, it can be necessary to modify the training plan to fit your specific circumstances. You can't make it to the finish line if you don't make it to the start line.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @RunsOnEspresso they thought i did too but i just have hypersomnia, very close to narcolepsy-my version. the main difference for me is i don't hit REM sleep like they do. i have to be careful not to fall asleep while driving or during an argument. sometimes, i run at home so i don't fall asleep while running.

I don't fall asleep during any of that. They asked me all those questions. :/ I don't/can't fall asleep watching tv or reading either.

I was diagnosed with insomnia a few years ago but they kind were you can't stay asleep. I usually wake up around 3 and takes me a long time to fall back asleep if I ever actually do.

@RunsOnEspresso i hope you feel better soon!

I suffer from early waking insomnia as well. It sucks the life right out if you. For me, it comes in spells and there is no rhyme or reason to it. You should definitely have a sleep study. I had one done because I also sleep walk. There was not much they could do for me but, if you have apnea, treating it will do wonders for you. My dad said his cpap machine gave him a new life after he was diagnosed.

I am sure you tried everything at this point but here is what helped me (for what my advice is worth):

1) I tried all kinds of prescription and over the counter sleep aids and find plain old Benadryl works best. It is not habit forming and does not make me groggy in the morning.

2) I go to bed REALLY early when I start having issues. My husband tells me I have the bedtime of a toddler. It’s like my natural sleep cycle goes from 8pm - 3am. Sucks for my social life but so does exhaustion.

3) I can’t work out in in the afternoon or evening. It keeps me awake. I also don’t drink caffeine after my first morning cup of coffee.

I found 2-3 melatonin helps me the best. I used to do benadryl but it made me groggy. The bed time could be earlier but usually I just wake up even earlier.

So here I sit in Mayo's sleep center.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Woof, my strength workout turned out to be a lot more difficult than I anticipated. Even if it hadn’t been storming all day I would not be up for a run after failing all three freaking lifts in completely different ways. Sigh. That was on me - I prefer not to lift to failure but I misjudged when planning and didn't adjust properly on the fly. Good thing I won’t need my arms for the race tomorrow because they don’t seem to be working quite right at the moment. As my husband pointed out when I told him about it, I'm really getting to the point with lifting where I could use some professional guidance.

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the next six to twelve months and I think that this winter I want to 1) join a gym where I can get barbell training, and 2) find a running group. The Running Room does a half marathon in February and a lot of the stores have training programs related to their various races, so I think that would be worth looking into. I didn't run much last winter but I feel like I'm in a much stronger place now. That said, I think a little guidance and motivation would be helpful in the icy dark.

Hugs all around - it’s been a chatty less-than-24 hours since I last popped my head in the thread.
    That is why I get my socks in crew! :) My son like the low cut socks, but he is not a runner, so I guess he can get away with it.

Crew cut is a little more material than I prefer generally. I was finally able to find some ASICS in quarter length so we’ll see how those work (just not tomorrow, because the "nothing new at a race" rule seems worth observing). I swear 98% of women’s socks are low cut or lower cut, though. Got to show off those ankles!
    I didn't read the article, but agree with your though about a few bad apples spoiling the whole barrel. I live in Iowa, so this has been on the news locally since her disappearance. Before anyone knew what happened even (it was suspected she was abducted while running), I was hearing comments like "she shouldn't have been wearing so little while out jogging." This is obviously a comment from someone who doesn't run in the heat. That's not relevant anyway... she can wear what she wants, and it isn't right to victim-blame. How is this still something said in 2018?!

Just don’t show off those ankles in a provocative way! >.<

AUGUST MILES:
    8/1 We - 0:21:46 - 1.86
    8/2 Th - rest, prehab
    8/3 Fr - 0:20:08 - 1.96 fartleks, lifted heavy things
    8/4 Sa - 1:24:32 - 7.30
    8/5 Su - rest, yoga
    8/6 Mo - 0:37:54 - 3.47
    8/7 Tu - lifted heavy things
    8/8 We - rest, prehab
    8/9 Th - 0:33:38 - 3.11
    8/10 Fr - 0:34:55 - 3.07
    8/11 Sa - 1:06:45 - 6.10
    8/12 Su - rest, prehab
    8/13 Mo - 0:49:57 - 4.36
    8/14 Tu - 0:20:06 - 1.87, lifted heavy things
    8/15 We - 0:32:20 - 3.05
    8/16 Th - rest, prehab
    8/17 Fr - unplanned rest
    8/18 Sa - 1:30:13 - 8.01 (distance PR in memory of @KeepRunningFatboy)
    8/19 Su - rest & 5 hours of D&D
    8/20 Mo - 0:49:35 - 4.58 tempo
    8/21 Tu - 0:21:00 - 2.07 fartleks, lifted heavy things, prehab
    8/22 We - rest
    8/23 Th - 0:55:10 - 4.85
    8/24 Fr - prehab, lifted heavy things

August Total: 55.66/50 miles
    2018 Total: 214.92 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: Glo Run Night Race 5K
    September 8 or 16: Charity 10K in Overland Park, KS (Parkinson’s or pediatric cancer)
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K
    October 20 or 21: Hot Cider Hustle or Mankato Half Marathon
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Crew cut is a little more material than I prefer generally. I was finally able to find some ASICS in quarter length so we’ll see how those work (just not tomorrow, because the "nothing new at a race" rule seems worth observing). I swear 98% of women’s socks are low cut or lower cut, though. Got to show off those ankles!

I also prefer quarter length to crew, and luckily for me Belega do quarter lengths in their Enduro and Blister Resist socks.

Sadly, being of a somewhat stocky build, I have cankles rather than ankles anyway.

8/01/2018 4 mile treadmill run
    8/03/2018 30 minutes swim
    8/07/2018 10k treadmill run
    8/08/2018 30 minutes swim
    8/09/2018 4 mile treadmill run
    8/11/2018 5k parkrun
    8/14/2018 10k treadmill run
    8/18/2018 5k road race
    8/20/2018 4 mile treadmill run
    8/21/2018 30 minutes swim
    8/22/2018 4 mile treadmill run
    8/23/2018 30 minutes swim

2018 races completed
    1/21/18 Dreamfar 10k (age-group 5/23)
    2/10/18 Cupid's Chase 5k (age-group 4/24)
    3/10/18 Medway Shamrock Shuffle 5k (age-group 3/25)
    4/08/18 Holly Club Hustle 5k (4th overall, 2nd woman, 2nd in age group)
    5/13/18 Strivers Mothers' Day 5k (age-group 15/55)
    5/19/18 Martha's Vineyard Half Marathon (age-group 24/84)
    6/21/18 J P Morgan Corporate Challenge 3.5m
    7/14/18 Tonneson and Co. 5k (age-group 4/12)
    8/18/18 Book it! Dedham Library 5k (age-group 2/8) - for Dennis

2018 registered races
    9/03/18 Martin Richard 8k Run
    9/08/18 Louisa May Alcott Orchard House 10k
    9/29/18 Stride for Healthy Communities 5k
    10/08/18 Reebok Women's 10k
    10/28/18 Bill's Pizzeria 5k
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Crew cut is a little more material than I prefer generally. I was finally able to find some ASICS in quarter length so we’ll see how those work (just not tomorrow, because the "nothing new at a race" rule seems worth observing). I swear 98% of women’s socks are low cut or lower cut, though. Got to show off those ankles!

I also prefer quarter length to crew, and luckily for me Belega do quarter lengths in their Enduro and Blister Resist socks.

Sadly, being of a somewhat stocky build, I have cankles rather than ankles anyway.

I saw the Belegas on Amazon but decided to try the cheaper ASICS first. We'll see how that works out! I've got two pairs of Wrightsocks that have proven themselves on my long runs so far (although I have gotten occasional hot foot) so I'd rather not mess with something that works until I have to. Having to spend this much mental energy on socks makes me a bit cranky.
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »

exercise.png

Last try last time if not working,I'm done with tracker.

for me it shows 42 of 70 steps done. The ticker often does not show an update for you until "cache" is timed out...eventually it catches up.

Oh my god! I just looked all of them are updated.
    Thanks for saying that.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Woof, my strength workout turned out to be a lot more difficult than I anticipated. Even if it hadn’t been storming all day I would not be up for a run after failing all three freaking lifts in completely different ways. Sigh. That was on me - I prefer not to lift to failure but I misjudged when planning and didn't adjust properly on the fly. Good thing I won’t need my arms for the race tomorrow because they don’t seem to be working quite right at the moment. As my husband pointed out when I told him about it, I'm really getting to the point with lifting where I could use some professional guidance.

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the next six to twelve months and I think that this winter I want to 1) join a gym where I can get barbell training, and 2) find a running group. The Running Room does a half marathon in February and a lot of the stores have training programs related to their various races, so I think that would be worth looking into. I didn't run much last winter but I feel like I'm in a much stronger place now. That said, I think a little guidance and motivation would be helpful in the icy dark.

Hugs all around - it’s been a chatty less-than-24 hours since I last popped my head in the thread.
    That is why I get my socks in crew! :) My son like the low cut socks, but he is not a runner, so I guess he can get away with it.

Crew cut is a little more material than I prefer generally. I was finally able to find some ASICS in quarter length so we’ll see how those work (just not tomorrow, because the "nothing new at a race" rule seems worth observing). I swear 98% of women’s socks are low cut or lower cut, though. Got to show off those ankles!
    I didn't read the article, but agree with your though about a few bad apples spoiling the whole barrel. I live in Iowa, so this has been on the news locally since her disappearance. Before anyone knew what happened even (it was suspected she was abducted while running), I was hearing comments like "she shouldn't have been wearing so little while out jogging." This is obviously a comment from someone who doesn't run in the heat. That's not relevant anyway... she can wear what she wants, and it isn't right to victim-blame. How is this still something said in 2018?!

Just don’t show off those ankles in a provocative way! >.<

AUGUST MILES:
    8/1 We - 0:21:46 - 1.86
    8/2 Th - rest, prehab
    8/3 Fr - 0:20:08 - 1.96 fartleks, lifted heavy things
    8/4 Sa - 1:24:32 - 7.30
    8/5 Su - rest, yoga
    8/6 Mo - 0:37:54 - 3.47
    8/7 Tu - lifted heavy things
    8/8 We - rest, prehab
    8/9 Th - 0:33:38 - 3.11
    8/10 Fr - 0:34:55 - 3.07
    8/11 Sa - 1:06:45 - 6.10
    8/12 Su - rest, prehab
    8/13 Mo - 0:49:57 - 4.36
    8/14 Tu - 0:20:06 - 1.87, lifted heavy things
    8/15 We - 0:32:20 - 3.05
    8/16 Th - rest, prehab
    8/17 Fr - unplanned rest
    8/18 Sa - 1:30:13 - 8.01 (distance PR in memory of @KeepRunningFatboy)
    8/19 Su - rest & 5 hours of D&D
    8/20 Mo - 0:49:35 - 4.58 tempo
    8/21 Tu - 0:21:00 - 2.07 fartleks, lifted heavy things, prehab
    8/22 We - rest
    8/23 Th - 0:55:10 - 4.85
    8/24 Fr - prehab, lifted heavy things

August Total: 55.66/50 miles
    2018 Total: 214.92 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: Glo Run Night Race 5K
    September 8 or 16: Charity 10K in Overland Park, KS (Parkinson’s or pediatric cancer)
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K
    October 20 or 21: Hot Cider Hustle or Mankato Half Marathon

If you're not going to go the gym route immediately, something that might help is having your husband take a video of you lifting so you can see yourself. Then watch some YouTube videos on the specific lifts, there are a lot of good videos on form and how to improve it.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options

Got rolling on my run after the PT session this morning, trying to maintain 12:15-13:00 miles. Splits went as follow 12:42, 12:15, 12:10 and 11:08 :o . Was really enjoying the run this morning and I am pretty much set with my pace for Sunday's run with @Teresa502 on Tweetsie. If anyone else is interested we are meeting at the trailhead in Johnson City @ 0730 and hoofing it all 10 miles to Elizabethton.

August goal completed 55.46/55 miles

exercise.png
    Looking forward to hanging out for 10 miles!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    DNS today. Gutted.

Still sore throat? I'm so sorry this happened to you right now, how frustrating.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I'm not saying you should follow my lead by any means, I'm probably just lucky, but think about it - how many of us here ACTUALLY follow the 'rules' of training plans?

Run no more than one ultra a year - @pastorvincent books two a week apart. Twice
    Always have a rest day - @AlphaHowls , yeah, right. Take it easy.....
    you can't train for a marathon on three days a week - ME!!!

Oh come on... just cause I am looking to add a third is no reason to pick on me! :lol:

But more seriously - I probably break almost all of the rules, I just keep them to myself most of the time. I do not want new runners to follow my example - at least until they know their bodies much better. It is a bit dangerous, IMO for me to say all that I do. People could get hurt doing what I do... or worse, become JOGGERS! Or something :lol:

It is important to learn your body, and learn your level, and work from there.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run today... pretty sure I am recovering from a glutening. Bah! But plan to try and squeeze in a long run tomorrow pending on some conflicting work thingies I need to handle.