August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    cheers @Elise4270 - I've added myself, but happy to move times to suit - can offer a couple of hours, and maybe a second stint later (although that stint would cover the all running bit maybe?)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Wow I had a busy day yesterday and didn't get to catch up here and you all write pages of posts! Only going to comment on a few though...
    @RespectTheKitty - I hope you get your meds sorted out and feel better soon!
    @amymoreorless - So glad you helped the homeless guy on your trail and I hope he is doing ok now! We have so many homeless here 😟 for a while there were hundreds (somewhere around 900 was the estimate) living in and along the riverbed. They generally don't bother me but I hated the mess because they threw everything on the ground and it was an issue for Hobbes. I have more problems with some of the workers and 'young' guys. I told a bunch of them once to leave me alone, that I was old enough to be their mom or grandma and would they want them treated that way.
    @RunsOnEspresso - hope the sleep study goes well and turns up some answers. Is there any possibility that you aren't eating enough? When the medical doctors could find nothing on my fatigue it was the nutritionist that got to the root cause.
    @garygse and @workaholic_nurse - the thing with windshield wipers is that they are deceptive... you may not feel them at all when you are doing them. They may even feel easy. Then later you are wondering why it hurts even when you turn just a little bit!
    @ContraryMaryMary - I am so sorry you are still sick and had to DNS your race!
    @Elise4270 - I don't like the higher stack heights either. I feel like I am going to step wrong and twist an ankle. That said I do have a pair of Altra Escalante now in rotation for short easy recovery runs but I think the stack height is 23. I am also looking at the Altra Solstice also stack of 23 and only 5.3 ounces!
    I have 3 pairs in rotation but my Skora Tempos are starting to tear. I bought some of the Shoe Goo that @LaDispute57 recommended and am hoping it will fix the tear and not cause a rubbing point.
    @sarahthes - Congratulations on your race! Looks like a muddy good time!
    @Elise4270 - I will get my name added to the list... I am one of those time zone challenged people but will figure it out with an internet time zone converter :wink:
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    8/1 - 5.59 km
    8/2 - 5.42 km
    8/3 - travel day
    8/4 - 11.66 km
    8/5 - travel day (14 hours to do a 10.5 hour drive ago)
    8/6 - laundry
    8/7 - 4.90 km
    8/8 - Nada
    8/9 - 2.97 km
    8/10 - rest
    8/11 - bleh
    8/12 - bleh
    8/13 - 1.90 km
    8/14 - hot
    8/15 - too smoky (not safe to run)
    8/16 - 2.17 km
    8/17 - smoke
    8/18 - worse smoke
    8/19 - 21.1 km
    8/20 - walk
    8/21 - 3.86 km
    8/22 - smoke (walk)
    8/23 - smoke
    8/24 - dead
    8/25 - 4.36km (trail race)

63.93/125 km

Quick & dirty trail race - part of the MEC trail race series. I dropped down to the short distance due to the half on Sunday and I have to say, it was nice finishing with other people! Mostly the 9K finishers who had lapped me haha. Course was really pretty - non-technical double track on the way out, and then rooty and muddy single track on the way back. My butt found the mud of course but it was a soft landing so it was all good!

Pretty happy with my performance and I know for a fact I wasn't last this time which is a bonus. Thinking I finished in 39:50ish for my official time.

eqfe9uhr5syx.png
    xwq46tnqvwu5.png
    2kcgws20boab.jpg
    sw7i7w31fwru.jpg
    k7t22g06beam.jpg

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish 1:56:15
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish 2:03:15
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K 2:03:04
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race 1:30:16
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon (Half Marathon) 3:12:something
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 4Kish 39:50ish
    9/22/18 Heartbeat Run 10K
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle

Congrats!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes WEll done!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

@Scott6255 I love these races. $15 entry fee and really well organized.

@ContraryMaryMary That sucks :(. Hope you feel better soon.

@PastorVincent Hope you also feel better soon and can gut out some miles.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    26hour, 20 minute MFP Virtual Relay For Dennis.

There has been a thread created with a link to a sign up sheet. It is scheduled to run 3pm Central October 13 thru 420pm October 14th.

As a tribute, I'd like to see the first and last hours (or half hours) run as a group. All of us, honoring him simultaneously. Maybe just a mile in the first and last hours celebrating the first marathon he ran, and his last.

Unplanned that that landed an end time of 420. Perhaps its inline with his humor, running is our drug/therapy/escape/way to cope.

I created a column for those that need/want help figuring the time slot. Just include name. time zone and time youd like, others or myself will put you in the correct GMT slot.
    There are still many times available.

Run on Dennis

Not sure if anyone caught a small mistake on my part. the end time is 520PM central time. I mistakenly was okay with the difference +1 to figure the hours and failed to start the count with Zero. Math, use it or lose it.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    26hour, 20 minute MFP Virtual Relay For Dennis.

There has been a thread created with a link to a sign up sheet. It is scheduled to run 3pm Central October 13 thru 420pm October 14th.

As a tribute, I'd like to see the first and last hours (or half hours) run as a group. All of us, honoring him simultaneously. Maybe just a mile in the first and last hours celebrating the first marathon he ran, and his last.

Unplanned that that landed an end time of 420. Perhaps its inline with his humor, running is our drug/therapy/escape/way to cope.

I created a column for those that need/want help figuring the time slot. Just include name. time zone and time youd like, others or myself will put you in the correct GMT slot.
    There are still many times available.

Run on Dennis

Not sure if anyone caught a small mistake on my part. the end time is 520PM central time. I mistakenly was okay with the difference +1 to figure the hours and failed to start the count with Zero. Math, use it or lose it.

Can't find the link to this thread. Can you help a guy out? Thanks!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Here is the thread @Scott6255 There is a link to the spreadsheet, I think, in the first post. The same link has been shared in this thread which is this one

@rheddmobile Thanks for the additional info on the shoes. Are those road shoes? I run some down hill, and washouts on trails... so they might not be the best shoe for me yet. I loved the bottom of those shoes. I remember that my marathoning dentist loved the fuller stacks. But that makes sense if you are running long miles on pavement.

I had something weird happen to my knee that felt much like a bakers cyst rupture. I'll see the doc monday and see. I suspect with the ITB surgery, the knee is still adjusting. I have zero drop topo's suggested by @shanaber, they have been terrific.

They're trail shoes, but the review I read said they are decent on roads as well. I haven't really run roads in them yet unless you count half a mile or so on the boardwalk, which felt fine but not fast.

What I noticed first after the immediate stinging of my cyst rupture was the calf pain. If it is a rupture, elevating and lightly compressing it may keep it from leaking fluid down into your muscles, which trust me you don't want.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber When I actually log I am eating at least 2k per day. I eat similar most days even when I don't log.

I was in bed for almost 8 hours last night, felt like I slept only a few. Didn't run again this morning because of it.