August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Crew cut is a little more material than I prefer generally. I was finally able to find some ASICS in quarter length so we’ll see how those work (just not tomorrow, because the "nothing new at a race" rule seems worth observing). I swear 98% of women’s socks are low cut or lower cut, though. Got to show off those ankles!

I also prefer quarter length to crew, and luckily for me Belega do quarter lengths in their Enduro and Blister Resist socks.

Sadly, being of a somewhat stocky build, I have cankles rather than ankles anyway.

I saw the Belegas on Amazon but decided to try the cheaper ASICS first. We'll see how that works out! I've got two pairs of Wrightsocks that have proven themselves on my long runs so far (although I have gotten occasional hot foot) so I'd rather not mess with something that works until I have to. Having to spend this much mental energy on socks makes me a bit cranky.

I should probably try 1/4 length. I mean I get crew, then squish them down to quarter length right away anyways - BUT they are handing for holding a single car key during a race and what not.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0825-14.3k, total-74.1k, goal-80.5k

Overslept so didn't head out until nearly 8am. It was hot in the sun but awesomely cool in the shade.

I kinda like really short socks! And then I tape all the blister prone spots. :D

Upcoming races:
    20181027 Mogan Ultra 30k
    20181118 Shanghai Marathon (maybe)
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Just got news that UTMF has canceled the STY.

As I don't see myself running 170km anytime soon, I now have no mid-term goal (as all my training and racing for the next two years rotated around that race) and no motivation.

I will go wallow in my pain for a day or two before starting to look for well-organized 50 mile-ish races in interesting places.

Why did they cancel that?? That race ran along the same route as the big one.

The announcement says:

As this is a large international event, the simultaneous implementation of both the UTMF and STY as one event has been quite difficult in regards of securing the safety of racers and the event administration... it was extremely difficult to administer the two race categories with the start and finish lines located at different venues as one event.

Therefore, we made a tough decision to discontinue the STY as of the 2019 event and organize the entire event as a single-category race of the UTMF. This decision was to ensure the stability and continuity of the event.

I kind of get their logic though. There aren't very many 100 mile events in Japan, and the status of Mt. Fuji makes increasing the number of total runners impossible, so they are giving up the shorter race to focus on the longer one.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I'm not saying you should follow my lead by any means, I'm probably just lucky, but think about it - how many of us here ACTUALLY follow the 'rules' of training plans?

Run no more than one ultra a year - @pastorvincent books two a week apart. Twice
    Always have a rest day - @AlphaHowls , yeah, right. Take it easy.....
    you can't train for a marathon on three days a week - ME!!!

Oh come on... just cause I am looking to add a third is no reason to pick on me! :lol:

But more seriously - I probably break almost all of the rules, I just keep them to myself most of the time. I do not want new runners to follow my example - at least until they know their bodies much better. It is a bit dangerous, IMO for me to say all that I do. People could get hurt doing what I do... or worse, become JOGGERS! Or something :lol:

It is important to learn your body, and learn your level, and work from there.

Yah I am trying to relearn my gf body. I had some tiredness before but nothing like what I've had thenlast couple of years.

Hell all my doctors are like you run half marathons? You train for marathons? They don't know how I do it. Lol
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    DNS today. Gutted.

Still sore throat? I'm so sorry this happened to you right now, how frustrating.

Yes, but sore at a level I’ve not experienced before. Chest is sore too. The gentle warmup jog (about 800m super slow) had my heart rate at 157, which is where I would expect it to be mid race. And besides the fact it hurts to breathe, I was scared of doing some serious damage to my lungs and heart.

The general rule of thumb (one of the few ‘rules’ it is DEFINITELY wise to follow) is - above neck issues, okay to run, below neck, do not run.

You made the right decision and so sorry you are ill. Better to get this sorted and run another race another day.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    DNS today. Gutted.

Still sore throat? I'm so sorry this happened to you right now, how frustrating.

Yes, but sore at a level I’ve not experienced before. Chest is sore too. The gentle warmup jog (about 800m super slow) had my heart rate at 157, which is where I would expect it to be mid race. And besides the fact it hurts to breathe, I was scared of doing some serious damage to my lungs and heart.

Good call, rest and recover.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    but they make me feel like the secret love child of a mountain goat and a ballerina.

That's hilarious! Gave me my morning laugh. Hope the shoes work out for you!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    My 10k was cancelled for weather. Damn.

Wow how bad is it there?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Well done @marisap2010!
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq I'm also thinking long and hard about next year and what I want out of running. I think because I've run all 3 of my big races for the year and I've just got fun little jaunts left.

I've decided that I'm going to start attending some of the weekly trail runs with a local trail group (huge step outside my comfort zone because even though I like people I have anxiety about NEW people)and I'm also going to be working with a running coach, with the goal of running a full marathon in a year.

I too have been looking at run clubs here like the Runningroom for walks and runs. They are not what they used to be. They’ve gone down hill. For the past four years I’ve gone in and they keep canceling the groups due to no team leader. And the drop ins on wed and Sun there is no one there. I’ve tried several locations and nil.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    My 10k was cancelled for weather. Damn.

Wow how bad is it there?

Major thunderstorms. Bad lightening and massive downpour. They let the 1 milers go. They held 5k and 10k back for 30 minutes and then cancelled.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    but they make me feel like the secret love child of a mountain goat and a ballerina.

Made me laugh too! I like ugly things, so now I
    Have to get a pair!

I'm missing the ugliness though. They look awesome to me!

ETA. I found them. The stack height is 29mm. Thats 10mm more than I'm use too. In shoes, If i walk on carpet i get wobbley. I assume its because the loss of proprioception. Anyone else? Nah prob just me and my nerve damage...
    Think i will drop buy the store Monday (after surgeon follow up) and check these out.

How do you like the stack height?

I've only 2 pair of shoes in rotation. One is a road shoe, other the trail. So, @AlphaHowls said i needed 3, right 😆 and i can check out the winter gear after my nike aeroloft vest got washed and lost all the down :disappointed:
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    8/1: 1.19
    8/3: 4.07
    8/4: 5
    8/5: 6.04
    8/9: 2.9
    8/11: 17
    8/12: 3
    8/13: 4.5
    8/14: 1.1
    8/16: 2
    8/18: 5
    8/19: 6.5
    8/21: 4.5
    8/23: 1.2
    8/24: 2.72
    8/25: 3.11 (race) + 2.02

Total: 72.25/100

8/25 Pint Pacer 5K
    9/30 Wineglass Marathon

Last night, I made up the remaining mileage from Thursday.

This morning, I had a 5K. It was a fairly flat route that started downtown, went through part of the industrial area, through a big park, and back to the start. Since I have a long run tomorrow, I decided that I wasn’t going to look at my watch and just run at what felt comfortable. I had no plan to try to place in my age group and was mainly just using it as a fun run vs. my normal routes.

There was a male and female running roughly the same pace as I, so we were together for most of the race. I pulled a little ahead of the guy about 2/3 of the way through, and the girl pulled ahead of me in the last half mile.

I had a PR of 1:50. Oops! I really didn’t feel like I was pushing hard, so I guess I will just attribute it to my marathon training. Overall time of 27:31.

There was beer at the end, and a bottle opener for a medal.

mstrboua8yoq.jpeg

---
    Nice!
    She should have named it burn to refuel. 🙂