August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    26hour, 20 minute MFP Virtual Relay For Dennis.

There has been a thread created with a link to a sign up sheet. It is scheduled to run 3pm Central October 13 thru 420pm October 14th.

As a tribute, I'd like to see the first and last hours (or half hours) run as a group. All of us, honoring him simultaneously. Maybe just a mile in the first and last hours celebrating the first marathon he ran, and his last.

Unplanned that that landed an end time of 420. Perhaps its inline with his humor, running is our drug/therapy/escape/way to cope.

I created a column for those that need/want help figuring the time slot. Just include name. time zone and time youd like, others or myself will put you in the correct GMT slot.
    There are still many times available.

Run on Dennis

Okay, all those numbers took a lot of googling for me to sort out, but I think I've signed up for all currently-vacant slots that I could conceivably run. That is the weekend before my half-marathon and I have no idea what sort of "taper" I'd want to be doing at that point, but had been planning on running at least a moderately long distance that weekend. The beginning and end hour hours should work too. Thank you for doing all this organizing!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @shanaber When I actually log I am eating at least 2k per day. I eat similar most days even when I don't log.

I was in bed for almost 8 hours last night, felt like I slept only a few. Didn't run again this morning because of it.
    @runsonespresso - I really hope that get it sorted out soon and figure out what is going on with you so you feel better! How did the sleep study go - was the 8 hours in bed for that?

@skippygirlsmom - Ouch!! How in the world did you manage to keep running, complete the race and get an awesome time after wiping out and getting hurt? Wow - You are a beast!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Here is the thread @Scott6255 There is a link to the spreadsheet, I think, in the first post. The same link has been shared in this thread which is this one

@rheddmobile Thanks for the additional info on the shoes. Are those road shoes? I run some down hill, and washouts on trails... so they might not be the best shoe for me yet. I loved the bottom of those shoes. I remember that my marathoning dentist loved the fuller stacks. But that makes sense if you are running long miles on pavement.

I had something weird happen to my knee that felt much like a bakers cyst rupture. I'll see the doc monday and see. I suspect with the ITB surgery, the knee is still adjusting. I have zero drop topo's suggested by @shanaber, they have been terrific.

They're trail shoes, but the review I read said they are decent on roads as well. I haven't really run roads in them yet unless you count half a mile or so on the boardwalk, which felt fine but not fast.

What I noticed first after the immediate stinging of my cyst rupture was the calf pain. If it is a rupture, elevating and lightly compressing it may keep it from leaking fluid down into your muscles, which trust me you don't want.

Thanks. It happened a few weeks ago, on a friday so i rested, iced and elevated. (Un)luckily, I remembered your ordeal and took heed. It's just niggling pain currently. the swelling was minimal and on the lower inside of my knee cap. I had a coworker suggest that it could have been a loose body. Hopefully it won't ever be a thing again.

I like that the shoes can be for trail or road. Another golden selling point.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Hope the knees aren't too sore! Trail running can beat you up!

@sarahthes Love the new DO! and race pics! such an inspiration! I think of you when i want to give up. I think "one day I may have the chance to run with that wild child ;) so i better do better and stay focused".
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    8/1 6
    8/2 0
    8/3 2
    8/4 5
    8/5 0
    8/6 0
    8/7 3
    8/8 0
    8/9 0
    8/10 3
    8/11 0
    8/12 0
    8/13 3
    8/14 0
    8/15 0
    8/16 0
    8/17 4
    8/18 2
    8/19 4
    8/20 0
    8/21 0
    8/22 6
    8/23 0
    8/24 0
    8/25 6.2 10K Chupacabra Trail Race

42 of 70 miles

Ran the last in the 4 part series of trail races here. Today's "short" race was a 10K, the long was a half. The elevation wasn't nearly what the last one was. This race would have been a complete fun fest to run if I didn't wipe out just past mile 2 and cut up both knees and my hands and arm. All I could think was not my ribs!! They seem fine, my knees are both swollen. I wanted to finish in 1:30 or under and I finished in 1:26 so I was happy with that.

This is the final medal, the holder, you can string all 4 medals through.

8gyq7zovhqnc.jpg

hp5m2r17o9um.jpg

448l45mkb1ou.jpg

I really need to try to catch up on 222 posts.
    Your poor swollen knees! You look like that Chupacabra got ya! Amazing job finishing under your goal time anyway.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom girl, you are one tough mamma! Those knees look painful! I probably would have DNF'd. I bow down to your bloody feet (and knees, arms, hands, etc.) :'(

Thanks for the link @Elise4270. I signed up for 7-8:30am CST (I think)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom well done! Way to push through and not be discouraged by a fall!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run today... pretty sure I am recovering from a glutening. Bah! But plan to try and squeeze in a long run tomorrow pending on some conflicting work thingies I need to handle.

Ugh, worse today, so not sure about a run. PLan to try later maybe. Erf

Nope, need to stay near indoor plumbing. My fellow gluten-avoiding runners will understand too well. Ugh. Maybe tomorrow it will be past enough.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    No run today... pretty sure I am recovering from a glutening. Bah! But plan to try and squeeze in a long run tomorrow pending on some conflicting work thingies I need to handle.

Ugh, worse today, so not sure about a run. PLan to try later maybe. Erf

Nope, need to stay near indoor plumbing. My fellow gluten-avoiding runners will understand too well. Ugh. Maybe tomorrow it will be past enough.

c'mon. you can suck it up :sweat_smile: and go for some runs... :lol:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @shanaber When I actually log I am eating at least 2k per day. I eat similar most days even when I don't log.

I was in bed for almost 8 hours last night, felt like I slept only a few. Didn't run again this morning because of it.
    @runsonespresso - I really hope that get it sorted out soon and figure out what is going on with you so you feel better! How did the sleep study go - was the 8 hours in bed for that?

@skippygirlsmom - Ouch!! How in the world did you manage to keep running, complete the race and get an awesome time after wiping out and getting hurt? Wow - You are a beast!!

Yup, I had this thing on my finger, wrist, and chest to measure different things. I was also fitted for a CPAP machine in case that is the issue. My follow up isn't until October because my doc is out all of Sept and I couldn't make the appt on Tuesday due to work stuff. Mayo usually puts the results online so I might be able to look at them prior to the appt.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I enjoyed the crap out of my run this morning. It is still unbearably hot, humid, and August but for some reason I didn’t feel it this morning. 10 miles at a 10 minutes mile pace - this is speedy for my long runs. I realize this is an easy run for some of you. I haven’t been able to maintain a pace like that on a long run all summer. Before the heat hit I was running 9:30 - 10 minutes miles on the regular. I was starting to worry about how much I was slowing and struggling this summer. My pace dropped to 11:30 - 12 minutes miles. I needed this morning. :)

So glad you had a good run! That must have been a great feeling. Congrats. :)

@RunsOnEspresso Sorry to hear the struggles you're going through! I'm inspired by your running and wishing you well!
    @MegaMooseEsq I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the next six to twelve months and I think that this winter I want to 1) join a gym where I can get barbell training, and 2) find a running group. The Running Room does a half marathon in February and a lot of the stores have training programs related to their various races, so I think that would be worth looking into. I didn't run much last winter but I feel like I'm in a much stronger place now. That said, I think a little guidance and motivation would be helpful in the icy dark.

That's awesome you have a list you want to accomplish. I'm sure you'll do awesome whichever training program you go with. I wish I could do running groups. I tried once, but unfortunately, I was so preoccupied with everyone else and afraid I'd fall behind that I ended up sabotaging myself. So, I learned that running on my own terms provided me more success.

@rheddmobile Awesome shoes! Glad you are enjoying them so far!

@garygse Nice run. I aspire one day to your running pace. That's awesome.

@workaholic_nurse Great splits! Glad you had a great run!

@marisap2010 Congrats on your race and your PR!! Love the medal!

@sarahthes Congrats on your trail race!

@ContraryMaryMary and @PastorVincent I hope you both recover soon and are able to get back out and run soon. Sorry to hear you are both struggling.

@shanaber Wow! What a session you had! That's killer. Congrats on accomplishing you August goal!

@skippygirlsmom That looks like it hurt, and you still managed to rock the rest of that race. Way to go. Sorry about the fall though, ouchies! You are definitely a tough one to pull through that and still beat the time you set out for yourself.