If it didn't have calories, right now I would eat...

Options

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Most of them are (and most of the ones pictured don't look appealing at all to me). I usually prefer thin crust (and no sausage), but a good deep dish can be good, if something more enjoyable on rare occasion (and still without sausage). I have it about 1-2x/year.

I so agree with not liking a deep dish pizza - it never has appealed to me - However a super thin crispy flat bread/pizza is absolutely perfect!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Thin and crispy: Delicious.

Thin and flexible like NY style? Also delicious.

Thick bready crust? Can be super delicious.

Baked on a square pan with oil for a cracker crust? Well, I guess if I have to but not my favorite. Can be good if the sauce is outstanding.

Stuffed Chicago style? I haven't had it enough to know any better. I bet it can be good.

Perhaps the more important question is this: Is pineapple on pizza anathema or amazing?
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,852 Member
    Options
    I love deep dish and the kid wasn't a fan saying that the pizza was inside out lol more for me
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I love deep dish because it’s a rare treat. I can see how having it often would get old.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    t3v7cd5jmz5d.jpg
    73ihqgwvutm8.jpg
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    ezjadh941waf.jpg
    k9ozmtoyoc6l.jpg
    c76qmsvgwfa8.jpg
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    b2a88cttdfwa.jpg
    szgiouxbzs2c.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    ^^I grew up eating these things....time to time I so crave them lol!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    My mother used to eat them with margarine. Sorry. Not me. Never. Ever.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    qab4a3t7qiec.jpg
    38x5h2ybcusz.jpg
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    My mother used to eat them with margarine. Sorry. Not me. Never. Ever.

I've never seen anyone put butter or some other kind of spread on saltines (hmm, maybe peanut butter). I mostly remember eating them plain or with cheddar or the like.

I did have a friend whose after school snack was 4 saltines with a quarter of an American cheese slice on each and then heating in the microwave and adding half a pimento olive to each.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    saltines with butter and jam! And graham crackers with butter or cream cheese :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    All of those would fall into my "not worth the cals" list! ;-) I never have any particular desire to eat crackers, and don't get adding spreads to them. (When I see crackers it is normally with cheese and fruit, and I always just eat the cheese and fruit, unless I can't manage without it seeming weird.)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    saltines with butter and jam! And graham crackers with butter or cream cheese :)

When I was sick, one of the "settle your tummy" meals my mom would give me was buttered saltines and a soda. So I associated it with comfort food and would add some grape jelly if I just needed cheering up!

I rarely have saltines in the house anymore, but a little butter on triscuits still hits the nostalgia button for me :blush:
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

When I was sick, one of the "settle your tummy" meals my mom would give me was buttered saltines and a soda. So I associated it with comfort food and would add some grape jelly if I just needed cheering up!

I rarely have saltines in the house anymore, but a little butter on triscuits still hits the nostalgia button for me :blush:

when I was in my "all things fat free" phase I swear I once ate an entire bag of pretzels with grape jelly haha
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I was poring over an old notebook of recipes I probably haven't looked at in 20 years, and I came across (among other fun things), my Mom's (and therefore my grandmother's) recipe for ruggelach. I have fond memories of making them during a snowstorm back in the early '70s. But I digress. I've made them a few times, but it's been decades. I'm usually not motivated by sweets, but these have so many memories.

So I'm thinking about fillings. I remember apricot preserves were pretty standard, as was a poppy seed and prune filling (or something like that). I once made some kind of chocolate filling with nutella and some other ingredients.

What is your favorite ruggelach filling?
    py834cxoi8hh.png
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    b2a88cttdfwa.jpg
    szgiouxbzs2c.jpg

My mom used to put butter, cream cheese or cream cheese and jelly on them. When she packed them for lunch they would be a little soft by then which I liked. Could go for them now.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I was poring over an old notebook of recipes I probably haven't looked at in 20 years, and I came across (among other fun things), my Mom's (and therefore my grandmother's) recipe for ruggelach. I have fond memories of making them during a snowstorm back in the early '70s. But I digress. I've made them a few times, but it's been decades. I'm usually not motivated by sweets, but these have so many memories.

So I'm thinking about fillings. I remember apricot preserves were pretty standard, as was a poppy seed and prune filling (or something like that). I once made some kind of chocolate filling with nutella and some other ingredients.

What is your favorite ruggelach filling?
    py834cxoi8hh.png

I have never actually had it!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I've never had them made quite like my family made them. They are interesting little sweets that don't have to be THAT sweet, but sure can be.

Basically mix some orange juice concentrate with flour and yeast, mix, and rest overnight. Then roll very thin rounds, cut into triangles (some recipes say use sugar instead of flour to roll them out; others just roll in sugar after assembly), cut into triangles, put a tiny bit of filling in the middle of the wide part of each triangle, roll up, rest briefly and cook hot.

Usually there would be HUGE batches that would get frozen and taken out for special occasions. They were kind of special.

OH! I KNOW!

I have frozen marion berries and blueberries (and a few raspberries) from last summer that I've been trying to figure out how to use. I guess this means now I have to figure out how to make berry jam that's thick enough to hold up. Oh. That's such a great idea. Thanks for helping me realize I already had the filling.... as long as I make that one extra step.

Maybe over the long weekend next week.