If it didn't have calories, right now I would eat...

Options

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I was poring over an old notebook of recipes I probably haven't looked at in 20 years, and I came across (among other fun things), my Mom's (and therefore my grandmother's) recipe for ruggelach. I have fond memories of making them during a snowstorm back in the early '70s. But I digress. I've made them a few times, but it's been decades. I'm usually not motivated by sweets, but these have so many memories.

So I'm thinking about fillings. I remember apricot preserves were pretty standard, as was a poppy seed and prune filling (or something like that). I once made some kind of chocolate filling with nutella and some other ingredients.

What is your favorite ruggelach filling?
    py834cxoi8hh.png

I love rugelache! I'm not fond of using chocolate - but love a cinnamon/nut and dried fruit (like dates or figs or berries).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I've never had them made quite like my family made them. They are interesting little sweets that don't have to be THAT sweet, but sure can be.

Basically mix some orange juice concentrate with flour and yeast, mix, and rest overnight. Then roll very thin rounds, cut into triangles (some recipes say use sugar instead of flour to roll them out; others just roll in sugar after assembly), cut into triangles, put a tiny bit of filling in the middle of the wide part of each triangle, roll up, rest briefly and cook hot.

Usually there would be HUGE batches that would get frozen and taken out for special occasions. They were kind of special.

OH! I KNOW!

I have frozen marion berries and blueberries (and a few raspberries) from last summer that I've been trying to figure out how to use. I guess this means now I have to figure out how to make berry jam that's thick enough to hold up. Oh. That's such a great idea. Thanks for helping me realize I already had the filling.... as long as I make that one extra step.

Maybe over the long weekend next week.

I’ve never had them or even heard of them but wow they sound delicious!! Share photos of you make them 😋.

Could go for a huge bowl of roasted Brussels right now. 8lzn3dgr6tdh.jpeg
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I've never had them made quite like my family made them. They are interesting little sweets that don't have to be THAT sweet, but sure can be.

Basically mix some orange juice concentrate with flour and yeast, mix, and rest overnight. Then roll very thin rounds, cut into triangles (some recipes say use sugar instead of flour to roll them out; others just roll in sugar after assembly), cut into triangles, put a tiny bit of filling in the middle of the wide part of each triangle, roll up, rest briefly and cook hot.

Usually there would be HUGE batches that would get frozen and taken out for special occasions. They were kind of special.

OH! I KNOW!

I have frozen marion berries and blueberries (and a few raspberries) from last summer that I've been trying to figure out how to use. I guess this means now I have to figure out how to make berry jam that's thick enough to hold up. Oh. That's such a great idea. Thanks for helping me realize I already had the filling.... as long as I make that one extra step.

Maybe over the long weekend next week.

I’ve never had them or even heard of them but wow they sound delicious!! Share photos of you make them 😋.

Could go for a huge bowl of roasted Brussels right now. 8lzn3dgr6tdh.jpeg

YES this! With crumbled blue cheese or feta
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I've got some brussels sprouts in the refrigerator that I really do need to cook. Hmm. But I really don't think the cals will be that hard to fit in, even if I add some nuts, etc.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I was poring over an old notebook of recipes I probably haven't looked at in 20 years, and I came across (among other fun things), my Mom's (and therefore my grandmother's) recipe for ruggelach. I have fond memories of making them during a snowstorm back in the early '70s. But I digress. I've made them a few times, but it's been decades. I'm usually not motivated by sweets, but these have so many memories.

So I'm thinking about fillings. I remember apricot preserves were pretty standard, as was a poppy seed and prune filling (or something like that). I once made some kind of chocolate filling with nutella and some other ingredients.

py834cxoi8hh.png

I love rugelache! I'm not fond of using chocolate - but love a cinnamon/nut and dried fruit (like dates or figs or berries).

I also have dried figs and prune plums from the back yard, so maybe I'll make some other kind of fruit filling, maybe simmering the dried fruit in brandy and adding some chopped hazelnuts....
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options

py834cxoi8hh.png

I also have dried figs and prune plums from the back yard, so maybe I'll make some other kind of fruit filling, maybe simmering the dried fruit in brandy and adding some chopped hazelnuts....

This sounds divine! You are lucky to be able to grow figs where you are at! You'll have to post some pics if you make them!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I’ve been craving ice cold cow’s milk like crazy!

I’ve been buying almond milk for years. Hubby’s allergic to cow’s milk and almond milk is so little calories.

If cow’s milk was as low cal as almond milk, I’d be drinking a couple cups per day! 🐮

6s9eudhxdims.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    Options

py834cxoi8hh.png

This sounds divine! You are lucky to be able to grow figs where you are at! You'll have to post some pics if you make them!

We mostly just get the breba crop (the first, smaller one). Our weather turns cool and damp before most of the "main" crop is ripe. They rot on the trees. The trees grow so fast, it's a challenge to keep them low enough that I can reach most of the fruit, even with a ladder. Or I need a bigger ladder.

Worse than that, once the starlings find them, it's hard to get ANY figs. They devastate the crop. All the more reason to bring the trees down shorter; if I keep them picked, they birds are less likely to find them. Except now I think I'm part of their annual stopovers. It's a trade-off because the breba crop grows on LAST YEAR's new wood. All the new growth I cut off in the winter means branches with no fruit. But if there is fruit, I won't get it anyway. The main crop grows on THIS YEAR's new wood, so I can get some of them if they get ripe. We got some this year because the weather cooperated.

8egfuqqyhsvf.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Grilled mozzarella on fresh whole wheat caraway rye....
    exsw7whjwf85.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    ^^Your rye bread looks great too. Nice fig! Grab what you can😉
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Grilled mozzarella on fresh whole wheat caraway rye....
    exsw7whjwf85.jpg

Rye is my FAVORITE!
  • mtaratoot
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I had a wild hair and started a new batch of dough yesterday. The starter I made seems pretty strong. Good thing because that sandwich was the last of the previous loaf. I made enough dough to form half into a nice one-pound boule and put the other half in the fridge after the second knead so I can bake more quickly in a day or three. This one has fresh rosemary from the yard. I added more rosemary to the loaf I'm going to bake at some point before bed; we'll see what I do with what's in the fridge. I'm so tempted to add some salt on top after I spritz it with water before I bake it.

Then I decided to experiment with a gluten-free corn stick recipe. I usually don't use much wheat flour in my cornbread, but this batch was to share with neighbors, some of who are limiting gluten. I left out all the wheat. Just corn meal, corn masa, and polenta, plus buttermilk, a little oil, and an egg. And baking powder and salt.

Came out great. Cooked a little quicker than usual. Cast iron. Very tasty. Only four in the picture because I already ate two and gave 12 away.
    vcesecwwu2dm.jpg

One neighbor said to tell her next time I make them so we can trade; she'll make chili. I told her to just let me know because it's super easy and tasty. Light and crispy. Love 'em.

Actually, mea culpa; this doesn't belong here. It appears they're only 63 calories each. So it's no problem to eat six in one day. I can do that......
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    f0e377i6dgfb.jpg
    ejkjqs6bw0pu.jpg
    pi9o398008wn.png
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Now I want lasagna with ice cold milk on the side :(((
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    24xzjfyhifry.png
    tqgnes44zvs6.png
    gimme!
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    4x7y4u1xu4qs.png
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    l4gh148at04r.jpg
    sef92t3yjkbb.jpg
    obq3n29zpjff.png

Plant based for me but.. cheese fondue snd French onion soup
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Making lasagna tomorrow, and now I want french onion soup!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    4x7y4u1xu4qs.png

Pass the lasagna. I'll take a Chianti; you can keep the milk.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    l4gh148at04r.jpg
    sef92t3yjkbb.jpg
    obq3n29zpjff.png

Plant based for me but.. cheese fondue snd French onion soup

I am about to experiment with an onion soup with no beef, but add lots of garlic. Sure looks like melted cheese there, which I'm pretty sure comes from an animal. I might add cheese to mine. But mostly just onion and garlic. Mmmmmm.......