High Fructose Corn Syrup is Bad?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some panel of doctors somewhere. Hm. How verifiable is that?

You have a gut feeling it’s hogwash, which I personally agree with but the two of us are still working off feels.

At the base of it, is there anything essentially wrong with fructose? It’s in fruit, and there’s lots of it in honey. It’s sweeter than sugar. It’s highly palatable and digestible.

I’m not swapping out my highly varied diet for an all fructose diet. There’s an ancient story of a prophet who lived off locusts and honey and all it got him was his head lopped off. So there’s that danger to consider.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Some panel of doctors somewhere. Hm. How verifiable is that?

You have a gut feeling it’s hogwash, which I personally agree with but the two of us are still working off feels.

At the base of it, is there anything essentially wrong with fructose? It’s in fruit, and there’s lots of it in honey. It’s sweeter than sugar. It’s highly palatable and digestible.

I’m not swapping out my highly varied diet for an all fructose diet. There’s an ancient story of a prophet who lived off locusts and honey and all it got him was his head lopped off. So there’s that danger to consider.

Although I think death by having my head lopped off could be interesting, I'm not sure I'm willing to eat locusts to accomplish it. I may have to remove that from my bucket list (last item, of course). One must always consider the cost to play/win.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    LMNOP55 wrote: »
    High Fructose Corn Syrup is healthy!

Can't argue with that. I'd like to see anyone try.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    :lol: Lightsabers FTW!

JDRRQV.gif

• suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    All1971 wrote: »
    Nothing is definitive - but there are studies that suggest cause for concern and the need for further investigation. For example:

"HFCS consumption with chow diet did not induce weight gain compared to water, chow-only controls but did induce glucose dysregulation and reduced evoked dopamine release in the dorsolateral striatum. These data show that HFCS can contribute to metabolic disorder and altered dopamine function independent of weight gain and high-fat diets. " https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5747444/

"Our findings suggest that HFCS and SUC have differential effects on lipid metabolism: while sucrose promotes obesogenesis, HFCS primarily enhances inflammation and insulin resistance, and ghrelin confers protective effects for these metabolic dysfunctions." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28629187

"The effect of the 55% high-fructose corn syrup on the tested parameters of lipid metabolism was not equivalent to that of sucrose. Using HFCS-55 instead of sucrose has an adverse effect on blood lipid parameters, while weight gains and peri-organ fat deposits are comparable. Moreover, the obtained results confirm that tested animals were susceptible to the adverse effects of sugars added to their diet, even in small amounts. This emphasises the need to precisely control the amount of added sugars in the diet.' https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28703963

@All1971 , thank you very much for your thoughtful post.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    That list of breads...

How many of us knew the #1 answer without even scrolling down?

Also, I bet we could get that bus to run on HFCS, right? It's gotta count as biodiesel.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    hm. How did I end up in Chit Chat?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

And I have gotten several unwanted "friend requests" since they moved it. I wish they wouldn't do that, I stay out of Chit Chat and Fun & Games for a reason :angry:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

And I have gotten several unwanted "friend requests" since they moved it. I wish they wouldn't do that, I stay out of Chit Chat and Fun & Games for a reason :angry:

ohhhh. I missed that if you guys already discussed it.

Because that's just weird...

..and now kimny72 will get even more FRs. :lol:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    So.

Pecan rolls. Are we talking about this:

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

(and I probably answered my own question, but Pecan Log roll is where my mind went. It's like Divinity wrapped in Excellence. )

4packpecanlogs__60586.1443554550.600.600.jpg?c=2

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

wait.

Friend Requests are 'unwanted' ??

.... I don't think I've ever turned one down.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Friend Request Expedited.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    So.

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

(and I probably answered my own question, but Pecan Log roll is where my mind went. It's like Divinity wrapped in Excellence. )

The top one. But the bus can pick up some of the pecan logs for the road.

(Don't worry: Yoga 7A, Zumba 11A, Karate lessons 1P, mountain trail scramble 3P, boulder lift/toss 5P, line/square/contra/country-swing dancing 7P. All activities available but optional; participants may organize other options. We'll hook up a bike/canoe/SUP/kayak/rowing shell trailer to the bus, and stow weights/racks/benches/kettlebells/rowing machine/elliptical in the underbus luggage area with your suitcases. One large roll-y bag, one standard carry-on, one personal item (day pack/briefcase/purse/small tote) per person, please, to allow room for shared exercise equipment. Volunteer musicians for dancing may add instrument (no grand/upright pianos, please; max of 2 upright bass). Regular stops at laundromats for washing workout/dance clothes . . . and for pecan rolls, naturally. :) )
  • cmriverside
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    So.

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

The top one. But the bus can pick up some of the pecan logs for the road.

(Don't worry: Yoga 7A, Zumba 11A, Karate lessons 1P, mountain trail scramble 3P, boulder lift/toss 5P, line/square/contra/country-swing dancing 7P. All activities available but optional; participants may organize other options. We'll hook up a bike/canoe/SUP/kayak/rowing shell trailer to the bus, and stow weights/racks/benches/kettlebells/rowing machine/elliptical in the underbus luggage area with your suitcases. One large roll-y bag, one standard carry-on, one personal item (day pack/briefcase/purse/small tote) per person, please, to allow room for shared exercise equipment. Volunteer musicians for dancing may add instrument (no grand/upright pianos, please; max of 2 upright bass). Regular stops at laundromats for washing workout/dance clothes . . . and for pecan rolls, naturally. :) )

:lol:
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    serious question:

If there is so much doubt (and much of it negative in nature) about HFCS, why even eat it at all ?

It's a very affordable additive for so many products.... but 'So What?'. That benefits the companies that sell the products but might not necessarily benefit the end user.

There are much better options other than HFCS, right?

Why not just have those?