Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    You mean the corrupt food manufacturing companies who are making money off people by selling highly addictive foods? Food that's made in labs with people wearing white coats. Yeah I know most of the people on here can control themselves with these foods but there are millions of people who can't don't! These companies manufacture foods in such a way that it's irresistible and you can't stop eating. So sick of HFCS being put in everything. Yes it is bad for you. If you want to have it fine, but don't pretend it's good for you.

FIFY. It's called personal accountability.

Both of my parents have diabetes so I think I know what I'm talking about. I know it's personal accountability, but it is seriously soooo addictive for some people. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Your experiences with two individuals don't qualify you to make sweeping generalizations about millions of people.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead i am not sure if your familiar with Boston though any place that serves popover's normal have a dipping sauce which has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it.

Maybe your post should have made it clear you were talking about a regional thing and not something that people encounter generally.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead i am not sure if your familiar with Boston though any place that serves popover's normal have a dipping sauce which has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it.

Okay, if you say so....but not sure why you tagged me on that one.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You mean the corrupt food manufacturing companies who are making money off people by selling highly addictive foods? Food that's made in labs with people wearing white coats. Yeah I know most of the people on here can control themselves with these foods but there are millions of people who can't don't! These companies manufacture foods in such a way that it's irresistible and you can't stop eating. So sick of HFCS being put in everything. Yes it is bad for you. If you want to have it fine, but don't pretend it's good for you.

Both of my parents have diabetes so I think I know what I'm talking about. I know it's personal accountability, but it is seriously soooo addictive for some people. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Do you think HFCS causes diabetes?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

I'm honestly not sure why you think your parents' T2 diabetes is relevant.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead i am not sure if your familiar with Boston though any place that serves popover's normal have a dipping sauce which has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. I have also been to restaurants where they would serve pecan rolls prior to eating your meal.

I think you should've tagged me: I was the one quibbling about restaurant freebies, not AnvilHead. I've been in Boston many times (go there usually a couple of times a year, though I don't live there), have eaten in many restaurants of many types, but have never been served a free popover or pecan roll. I'm not saying they don't exist - like I said, don't live there, so you know better - but they're not ubiquitous.

Once in a blue moon, I suppose I've been served free cornbread in the South, with honey (38% fructose if actual honey, potentially more if fake honey). Pecan rolls, never. If you tell me where those come free before the meal, I'd cheerfully visit - good ones are really yummy, especially if they use plenty of real butter. Not all pecan rolls contain notable amounts of fructose, though: Some do, and certainly there's plenty of sucrose in most. Even Karo syrup is fructose-free these days.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @AnvilHead i am not sure if your familiar with Boston though any place that serves popover's normal have a dipping sauce which has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. I have also been to restaurants where they would serve pecan rolls prior to eating your meal.

I think you should've tagged me: I was the one quibbling about restaurant freebies, not AnvilHead. I've been in Boston many times (go there usually a couple of times a year, though I don't live there), have eaten in many restaurants of many types, but have never been served a free popover or pecan roll. I'm not saying they don't exist - like I said, don't live there, so you know better - but they're not ubiquitous.

Once in a blue moon, I suppose I've been served free cornbread in the South, with honey (38% fructose if actual honey, potentially more if fake honey). Pecan rolls, never. If you tell me where those come free before the meal, I'd cheerfully visit - good ones are really yummy, especially if they use plenty of real butter. Not all pecan rolls contain notable amounts of fructose, though: Some do, and certainly there's plenty of sucrose in most. Even Karo syrup is fructose-free these days.

I've eaten all across America and I would definitely remember being served a free pecan roll at the beginning of my meal. This has never happened to me and now I think a little bit less of every restaurant I've ever visited.

I sense a brilliant marketing opportunity for some restaurant somewhere!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    Someone is telling me that some panel of doctors have concluded that hfcs leads to weight gain because the body deposits something from the hfcs into the fat cells; and then the body can’t burn the fat cells up, or the body can’t ever get rid of the chemical or whatever it is that’s deposited. Sounds like a bunch of total hogwash to me, the same kind of stuff I’ve heard many times over by people who are just trying to make money off of their nonsense. I’m interested in hearing what anyone here knows about this topic.

It sounds like total hogwash because it is.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You mean the corrupt food manufacturing companies who are making money off people by selling highly addictive foods? Food that's made in labs with people wearing white coats. Yeah I know most of the people on here can control themselves with these foods but there are millions of people who can't! These companies manufacture foods in such a way that it's irresistible and you can't stop eating. So sick of HFCS being put in everything. Yes it is bad for you. If you want to have it fine, but don't pretend it's good for you.

I suppose so long as you don't have to take responsibility for what you stick in your mouth.
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nothing is definitive - but there are studies that suggest cause for concern and the need for further investigation. For example:

"HFCS consumption with chow diet did not induce weight gain compared to water, chow-only controls but did induce glucose dysregulation and reduced evoked dopamine release in the dorsolateral striatum. These data show that HFCS can contribute to metabolic disorder and altered dopamine function independent of weight gain and high-fat diets. " https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5747444/

"Our findings suggest that HFCS and SUC have differential effects on lipid metabolism: while sucrose promotes obesogenesis, HFCS primarily enhances inflammation and insulin resistance, and ghrelin confers protective effects for these metabolic dysfunctions." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28629187

"The effect of the 55% high-fructose corn syrup on the tested parameters of lipid metabolism was not equivalent to that of sucrose. Using HFCS-55 instead of sucrose has an adverse effect on blood lipid parameters, while weight gains and peri-organ fat deposits are comparable. Moreover, the obtained results confirm that tested animals were susceptible to the adverse effects of sugars added to their diet, even in small amounts. This emphasises the need to precisely control the amount of added sugars in the diet.' https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28703963