• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Anyone else up for a road trip to find these free pecan rolls?

Sooooo in! (I love a good road trip.) Where are you? I'm in MI, maybe I can pick up @diannethegeek in Kansas on the way! Crucial question: Where are the free pecan rolls?

;)

heck I live like an hour from Georgia! Meet ya there!

Crap, I'm on the other side of the country in CA. Although I'd spring for plane fare if some of the pecan rolls could be gf :)

I'm also in CA. We'll start from here and pick up everyone else on the way :)

You're coming to the Canadian border, right? I'll meet you there with my passport.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to stop in flyover county!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Sooooo in! (I love a good road trip.) Where are you? I'm in MI, maybe I can pick up @diannethegeek in Kansas on the way! Crucial question: Where are the free pecan rolls?

;)

Crap, I'm on the other side of the country in CA. Although I'd spring for plane fare if some of the pecan rolls could be gf :)

You're coming to the Canadian border, right? I'll meet you there with my passport.
    pinuplove wrote: »

We’ll make a Google map with all the stops on the pecan roll tour :)
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

;)

pinuplove wrote: »

We’ll make a Google map with all the stops on the pecan roll tour :)

Yes! Score!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The thing that is "bad" about it is that it is a sneaky sugar that is in a lot of packaged food. When it gets in your body, it is a sugar. So if you are consuming a lot of things with high frucrose corn syrup, you are likely taking in a lot of sugar that you don't know about. Check out ketchup and BBQ sauce and sweet drinks. Because it got such a bad reputation, you'll even see products labelled as "no high frucrose corn syrup". You have to read your labels. But if you are aware of how much of it you are consuming and you take it into account, it's no worse than eating a food high in sugar.

I ate - I estimate - half a cup of ketchup yesterday. It was good. Potatoes require ketchup.

Assuming "sneaky" means " listed on ingredients label"?

I almost choked because of this comment making me laugh.
    Be careful reading this thread.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    i am not sure of the science behind High Fructose though it is meant to make you eat more which is why in many restaurants they will give you something that includes that prior to serving your meal.

What restaurants are you going to? The freebie starters in restaurants I've been in have tended to be good quality bread, breadsticks, or rolls, with olive oil or butter; or tortilla chips and salsa. In many cases, those won't include HFCS or high fructose anything, and in those few cases where those do have a bit of fructose (from the tomatoes in the salsa (1.7g fructose per tomato), for example, or corn syrup in the bread (quite unusual), those foods are far from an efficient delivery mechanism for this appetite-inducing magical "High Fructose". They're trivial sources, at most.

Lots of alcoholic drinks include fructose in some form, and most soda pop certainly does . . . but those are things we order, not things the restaurant gives us. In fact, those "High Fructose" things provide a major portion of many restaurants' profits, because the markup is so high.

With respect, because I mostly agree with the point you're trying to make, I disagree with your specific comments about restaurant starters. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I test my blood glucose often. I've given up most highly sweetened foods because my body doesn't handle them well, which has made me more aware of the extremely sweet taste of bread served in American style chain restaurants. Longhorn and Logan's steakhouses for example serve rolls which taste like cake. They are not normal tasting "good quality bread" and half a roll from either of those places will send my levels into the stratosphere, so clearly there's additional sugar of some kind in those light, fluffy rolls.

That being said, there's nothing magical about HFCS and its effect on blood glucose as opposed to any other sugar. It's just that since corn is subsidized in America, it's very inexpensive and tends to show up more often in processed American foods, as opposed to other, more expensive sweeteners.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'll probably just make my own pean rolls or get some from the local farmer's market. Not free but less effort than traveling cross country for mythical free food.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I'll probably just make my own pean rolls or get some from the local farmer's market. Not free but less effort than traveling cross country for mythical free food.

But.. but... its the magical pecan express bus! How can you pass up the opportunity to be a part of a trip that might become a MFP fable?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    bhadbahabi wrote: »
    I escaped into chit-chat indefinitely to avoid this chatter.....why is this in my safe space of debauchery?

Wait - what? We're in Chit-Chat now? When did that happen??
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

But.. but... its the magical pecan express bus! How can you pass up the opportunity to be a part of a trip that might become a MFP fable?

I thought it was an offer to cook for us. :bigsmile:

I escaped into chit-chat indefinitely to avoid this chatter.....why is this in my safe space of debauchery?

Wait - what? We're in Chit-Chat now? When did that happen??

:open_mouth:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    i am not sure of the science behind High Fructose though it is meant to make you eat more which is why in many restaurants they will give you something that includes that prior to serving your meal.

What restaurants are you going to? The freebie starters in restaurants I've been in have tended to be good quality bread, breadsticks, or rolls, with olive oil or butter; or tortilla chips and salsa. In many cases, those won't include HFCS or high fructose anything, and in those few cases where those do have a bit of fructose (from the tomatoes in the salsa (1.7g fructose per tomato), for example, or corn syrup in the bread (quite unusual), those foods are far from an efficient delivery mechanism for this appetite-inducing magical "High Fructose". They're trivial sources, at most.

Lots of alcoholic drinks include fructose in some form, and most soda pop certainly does . . . but those are things we order, not things the restaurant gives us. In fact, those "High Fructose" things provide a major portion of many restaurants' profits, because the markup is so high.

With respect, because I mostly agree with the point you're trying to make, I disagree with your specific comments about restaurant starters. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I test my blood glucose often. I've given up most highly sweetened foods because my body doesn't handle them well, which has made me more aware of the extremely sweet taste of bread served in American style chain restaurants. Longhorn and Logan's steakhouses for example serve rolls which taste like cake. They are not normal tasting "good quality bread" and half a roll from either of those places will send my levels into the stratosphere, so clearly there's additional sugar of some kind in those light, fluffy rolls.

That being said, there's nothing magical about HFCS and its effect on blood glucose as opposed to any other sugar. It's just that since corn is subsidized in America, it's very inexpensive and tends to show up more often in processed American foods, as opposed to other, more expensive sweeteners.

Speaking seriously: With you, 100%. Many foods are way more sweetened than they need to be, and I don't love it. And I'm not even diabetic!

I have to admit, I don't do steakhouses (vegetarian for 44 years), so I may just not be seeing those breads. I understand that carbs generally, and extra-sweetened things specifically, will be a problem for diabetics, and sympathize.

It's still true that they're not much of a stealth delivery mechanism for HFCS. Even King's Hawaiian - which taste pretty sweet, and do contain HFCS - have only 7g sugars per serving. If someone were running a conspiracy to force-feed us secret HFCS, this isn't a very efficient route.

I do sympathize with your situation, though. And I empathize, as a vegetarian: Unnecessary (untastable) chicken broth and gelatin are also pretty common. It's not essentially poisonous to me as sugar/carbs might be (in excess) to you, but it's still annoying.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

Because my debauchery includes pecan rolls. Now that I've thought of it, at least. Or now that @bostonjim23 pointed out that potential. ;)

(Apologies to those with different fantasy lives. The fantasy is now not so much the pecan rolls, as the bus/road trip.)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

But also less fun!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    here's some insight from the NIH; draw your own conclusions:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3522469/
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This thread has made a crappy morning better.

However, it's all your fault if I go looking for pecan roll recipes later today.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »
    High fructose corn syrup is the single greatest killer among all the killers that have ever killed.

Cyanide got nothin on HCFS.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    here's some insight from the NIH; draw your own conclusions:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3522469/

@Motorsheen , there we go, an actual study from a reliable source. Thank you.