High Fructose Corn Syrup is Bad?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Anyone else up for a road trip to find these free pecan rolls?

Sooooo in! (I love a good road trip.) Where are you? I'm in MI, maybe I can pick up @diannethegeek in Kansas on the way! Crucial question: Where are the free pecan rolls?

;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    i am not sure of the science behind High Fructose though it is meant to make you eat more which is why in many restaurants they will give you something that includes that prior to serving your meal.

Or maybe it's just a cheap sweetener?

Nah, couldn't be. Every story needs an evil villain lurking in the shadows. :D
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I hate HFCS. Why? Because it's put in foods that should not be sweet (in my opinion). I bought a jar of pickles. I didn't look at the label, thinking pickles are pickles. First ingredient: HFCS. Why? I search hard to find options without HFCS. And it is often hard; catsup, canned beans, dried fruit, whole grain bread, vinaigrette, granola. None of these are things that have any reason to be sweet. So, yeah, I end up making my own of many of the above items. But sometimes I don't have the time and I have to buy something. I'd rather use my calories eating an extra pickle instead of eating fewer, but sweeter, pickles.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @AnvilHead i am not sure if your familiar with Boston though any place that serves popover's normal have a dipping sauce which has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. I have also been to restaurants where they would serve pecan rolls prior to eating your meal.

I think you should've tagged me: I was the one quibbling about restaurant freebies, not AnvilHead. I've been in Boston many times (go there usually a couple of times a year, though I don't live there), have eaten in many restaurants of many types, but have never been served a free popover or pecan roll. I'm not saying they don't exist - like I said, don't live there, so you know better - but they're not ubiquitous.

Once in a blue moon, I suppose I've been served free cornbread in the South, with honey (38% fructose if actual honey, potentially more if fake honey). Pecan rolls, never. If you tell me where those come free before the meal, I'd cheerfully visit - good ones are really yummy, especially if they use plenty of real butter. Not all pecan rolls contain notable amounts of fructose, though: Some do, and certainly there's plenty of sucrose in most. Even Karo syrup is fructose-free these days.

I've eaten all across America and I would definitely remember being served a free pecan roll at the beginning of my meal. This has never happened to me and now I think a little bit less of every restaurant I've ever visited.

I need these free pecan rolls in my life, high fructose corn syrup-laden or not. Please someone let us know where we can show up for these things because I have never in my life seen such a thing.

Granted, I live in Kansas. We're not known for our pecan rolls around here.

I'm in Colorado, I can swing by and pick you up as we head east.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    You mean the corrupt food manufacturing companies who are making money off people by selling highly addictive foods? Food that's made in labs with people wearing white coats. Yeah I know most of the people on here can control themselves with these foods but there are millions of people who can't don't! These companies manufacture foods in such a way that it's irresistible and you can't stop eating. So sick of HFCS being put in everything. Yes it is bad for you. If you want to have it fine, but don't pretend it's good for you.

FIFY. It's called personal accountability.

Both of my parents have diabetes so I think I know what I'm talking about. I know it's personal accountability, but it is seriously soooo addictive for some people. I've seen it with my own eyes.
    Anecdotal. It's hyperpalatable (really tastes good) so that's why people like to eat it. There really isn't any "addictive" traits to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Can't we just avoid HFCS because it makes things taste like *kitten*?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

I think that's totally fair.

No one should have to eat things they don't like unless the absolutely need to eat them for some kind of medical reason.

As long as we can all acknowledge that it's personal preference and not because HFCS leaves some kind of weird sludge in your fat cells that your body can never get rid of.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

Nope. You're either on the side of "All HFCS all the time because we don't care about our health", or "No HFCS ever because it's going to kill you". No preferences allowed. B)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Sooooo in! (I love a good road trip.) Where are you? I'm in MI, maybe I can pick up @diannethegeek in Kansas on the way! Crucial question: Where are the free pecan rolls?

;)

heck I live like an hour from Georgia! Meet ya there!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    suzievv wrote: »
    Someone is telling me that some panel of doctors have concluded that hfcs leads to weight gain because the body deposits something from the hfcs into the fat cells; and then the body can’t burn the fat cells up, or the body can’t ever get rid of the chemical or whatever it is that’s deposited. Sounds like a bunch of total hogwash to me, the same kind of stuff I’ve heard many times over by people who are just trying to make money off of their nonsense. I’m interested in hearing what anyone here knows about this topic.

I do know there is a correlation with high intake of hfcs and fatty liver, but it might have something to do with the lifestyles people who drinks lots of regular sodas live. Most are inactive and most generally have some type of metabolic syndrome. So whether its the hfcs or the other factors? :|

There is a high correlation of people who drink water and breathe oxygen and death.

true.... just posting that correlation is not always causation. But thanks for clarifying....
    <---- turning blue from holding breath.....
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

;)

Crap, I'm on the other side of the country in CA. Although I'd spring for plane fare if some of the pecan rolls could be gf :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

;)

I'm happy to chip in for gas.

tenor.gif
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    \Chow diet? Who on earth is eating chow?

Oh, mice.

Yes, mice and rats - that is how toxicology testing is done. it is one fundamental and important step in testing of consumer products and medicine and environmental pollutants and occupationally hazardous chemicals.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

;)

Crap, I'm on the other side of the country in CA. Although I'd spring for plane fare if some of the pecan rolls could be gf :)

I'm also in CA. We'll start from here and pick up everyone else on the way :)