High Fructose Corn Syrup is Bad?

Options
suzievv
suzievv Posts: 410 Member
edited August 2018 in Chit-Chat
Someone is telling me that some panel of doctors have concluded that hfcs leads to weight gain because the body deposits something from the hfcs into the fat cells; and then the body can’t burn the fat cells up, or the body can’t ever get rid of the chemical or whatever it is that’s deposited. Sounds like a bunch of total hogwash to me, the same kind of stuff I’ve heard many times over by people who are just trying to make money off of their nonsense. I’m interested in hearing what anyone here knows about this topic.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In what does and overall dietary context?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me too :smiley:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would want to know where exactly they heard this and which panel of doctors and whether or not they could link me to an article or study about it, because it sounds like utter nonsense and the only question is whether they're misinterpreting a study or getting their information from crackpot sites. Either way I'd ignore it, I'd just want to know if I should also ignore everything else they say as well.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I think your assessment is correct.

There is a lot of fearmongering out there about various foods. HFCS is a type of sugar. Barring any sugar-related medical conditions you may have, the main "danger" from HFCS and many other sugars is that people who aren't tracking their food often don't realize how many calories they're taking in, and HFCS is often used in things like sodas that are easy to consume in large quantities. The scientific consensus at this point seems to be that overconsumption of high-calorie, sugary foods is the problem, not a specific type of sugar. Wikipedia actually has a good discussion of the existing studies, with citations of the peer-reviewed papers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup

If the person you're talking to can't be more specific than "some panel," "something from the HCFS," etc., then that's a good clue it's BS.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    i am not sure of the science behind High Fructose though it is meant to make you eat more which is why in many restaurants they will give you something that includes that prior to serving your meal.

"Meant" by who? What is the source for this?

What restaurants are you talking about?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    Someone is telling me that some panel of doctors have concluded that hfcs leads to weight gain because the body deposits something from the hfcs into the fat cells; and then the body can’t burn the fat cells up, or the body can’t ever get rid of the chemical or whatever it is that’s deposited. Sounds like a bunch of total hogwash to me, the same kind of stuff I’ve heard many times over by people who are just trying to make money off of their nonsense. I’m interested in hearing what anyone here knows about this topic.

I do know there is a correlation with high intake of hfcs and fatty liver, but it might have something to do with the lifestyles people who drinks lots of regular sodas live. Most are inactive and most generally have some type of metabolic syndrome. So whether its the hfcs or the other factors? :|
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    You mean the corrupt food manufacturing companies who are making money off people by selling highly addictive foods? Food that's made in labs with people wearing white coats. Yeah I know most of the people on here can control themselves with these foods but there are millions of people who can't! These companies manufacture foods in such a way that it's irresistible and you can't stop eating. So sick of HFCS being put in everything. Yes it is bad for you. If you want to have it fine, but don't pretend it's good for you.

My home is full of foods that don't have HFCS in them. When people complain about it being in everything, I have no idea what they're talking about.

Poetic license?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    i am not sure of the science behind High Fructose though it is meant to make you eat more which is why in many restaurants they will give you something that includes that prior to serving your meal.

What restaurants are you going to? The freebie starters in restaurants I've been in have tended to be good quality bread, breadsticks, or rolls, with olive oil or butter; or tortilla chips and salsa. In many cases, those won't include HFCS or high fructose anything, and in those few cases where those do have a bit of fructose (from the tomatoes in the salsa (1.7g fructose per tomato), for example, or corn syrup in the bread (quite unusual), those foods are far from an efficient delivery mechanism for this appetite-inducing magical "High Fructose". They're trivial sources, at most.

Lots of alcoholic drinks include fructose in some form, and most soda pop certainly does . . . but those are things we order, not things the restaurant gives us. In fact, those "High Fructose" things provide a major portion of many restaurants' profits, because the markup is so high.