• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Anyone else up for a road trip to find these free pecan rolls?

Sooooo in! (I love a good road trip.) Where are you? I'm in MI, maybe I can pick up @diannethegeek in Kansas on the way! Crucial question: Where are the free pecan rolls?

;)

heck I live like an hour from Georgia! Meet ya there!

Crap, I'm on the other side of the country in CA. Although I'd spring for plane fare if some of the pecan rolls could be gf :)

I'm also in CA. We'll start from here and pick up everyone else on the way :)

Road trip!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Sooooo in! (I love a good road trip.) Where are you? I'm in MI, maybe I can pick up @diannethegeek in Kansas on the way! Crucial question: Where are the free pecan rolls?

;)

Crap, I'm on the other side of the country in CA. Although I'd spring for plane fare if some of the pecan rolls could be gf :)

You're going to need a bigger car.
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Yes, rat studies are one of the steps in the process... the issue that most on this board take with mouse studies is that they have an overall rate of about 1/3 (something like 36%) of translating to the same results in humans.

And that's why i said its not definitive but its also not unfounded - there is credible cause for concern and continuing study but there is not sufficient weight of evidence for definitive conclusions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I don't touch the stuff...it's too sweet for me...I don't think it turns into some kind of sludge that you can't burn off though...
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    All1971 wrote: »
    Yes, rat studies are one of the steps in the process... the issue that most on this board take with mouse studies is that they have an overall rate of about 1/3 (something like 36%) of translating to the same results in humans.

And that's why i said its not definitive but its also not unfounded - there is credible cause for concern and continuing study but there is not sufficient weight of evidence for definitive conclusions.

Cool - I agree with what you say here. We just get a lot of people who drop mouses
    studies into conversations and act as if they are definitive and the be-all/end-all absolute proof of something.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this party. But if this road trip involves a tour of free restaurant bread count me in! I even found a list of HFCS laden bready buttery goodness!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

;)

Worth it! :)
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    The thing that is "bad" about it is that it is a sneaky sugar that is in a lot of packaged food. When it gets in your body, it is a sugar. So if you are consuming a lot of things with high frucrose corn syrup, you are likely taking in a lot of sugar that you don't know about. Check out ketchup and BBQ sauce and sweet drinks. Because it got such a bad reputation, you'll even see products labelled as "no high frucrose corn syrup". You have to read your labels. But if you are aware of how much of it you are consuming and you take it into account, it's no worse than eating a food high in sugar.

I ate - I estimate - half a cup of ketchup yesterday. It was good. Potatoes require ketchup.

Assuming "sneaky" means " listed on ingredients label"?

No. Potatoes require frying and then green chile and cheese.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I'm late to this party. But if this road trip involves a tour of free restaurant bread count me in! I even found a list of HFCS laden bready buttery goodness!

Yay! It's an MFP tour de HFCS!

P.S. Don't love hyper-sweet simple stuff. In for a good pecan roll, though. Or popovers, pass on the sweet dippy stuff.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    You have to love this community. Who would have thought woo about HFCS would have resulted in a car trip for the sole purpose of free pecan rolls. Kind of jealous because I don't even think we can get them in Australia as I haven't heard of them before.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    i am not sure of the science behind High Fructose though it is meant to make you eat more which is why in many restaurants they will give you something that includes that prior to serving your meal.

Are you serious???
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    You mean the corrupt food manufacturing companies who are making money off people by selling highly addictive foods? Food that's made in labs with people wearing white coats. Yeah I know most of the people on here can control themselves with these foods but there are millions of people who can't don't! These companies manufacture foods in such a way that it's irresistible and you can't stop eating. So sick of HFCS being put in everything. Yes it is bad for you. If you want to have it fine, but don't pretend it's good for you.

FIFY. It's called personal accountability.

Both of my parents have diabetes so I think I know what I'm talking about. I know it's personal accountability, but it is seriously soooo addictive for some people. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Your parents might have problems with self-control, but that's on them, not the food companies. There is nothing addictive about HFCS.

Yeah, you don't get diabetes from eating sugar. You get diabetes from not being able to control yourself and eating way too much and getting fat. The only thing sugar has to do with diabetes is once you have it, you need to control the amount of it you eat via watching your carb intake. My mom has diabetes also.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Ironically, there were free pecan rolls at my work yesterday. :lol: The big diner style ones. They were amazing. I'm pretty sure they had no HFCS so they're safe. (We won't talk about the copious amounts of brown sugar they probably used though)

Side note: I have noticed added sugar and HFCS in weird places you wouldn't think of. Like canned ravioli's and sliced bread for example. Not a bad thing though unless you have to watch your sugars for some reason. Or trying to find the lower calorie option.
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2018
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

;)

At this rate, we'll all need to chip in for a pecan roll bus.

Kesey knew the score: You're either on the bus, or off the bus. I'm on. (A li'l too young for Kesey's. In for the pecan rolls. ;) ).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

I have eaten 13 of the 17 breads on this list, and will now compose a dissertation critiquing their rankings.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    You have to love this community. Who would have thought woo about HFCS would have resulted in a car trip for the sole purpose of free pecan rolls. Kind of jealous because I don't even think we can get them in Australia as I haven't heard of them before.

I'd ship you some but first I'd have to find some, and the last time I mailed something to Australia you'd think I was shipping to Mars.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    Someone is telling me that some panel of doctors have concluded that hfcs leads to weight gain because the body deposits something from the hfcs into the fat cells; and then the body can’t burn the fat cells up, or the body can’t ever get rid of the chemical or whatever it is that’s deposited. Sounds like a bunch of total hogwash to me, the same kind of stuff I’ve heard many times over by people who are just trying to make money off of their nonsense. I’m interested in hearing what anyone here knows about this topic.

If someone makes a big claim that some food will alter your body ask for a source. If their source is not reputable then feel free to disregard it. https://www.cdc.gov/des/consumers/research/understanding_deciding.html