Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• rhaiinrhaiin Posts: 613Member Member Posts: 613Member Member
    I made a mesquite marinated pork loin, sauteed spinach with umami seasoning, and blue cheese mashed potatoes for dinner last night.
  • JennJ323JennJ323 Posts: 444Member Member Posts: 444Member Member
    I made a chicken & waffles casserole last night for dinner.. it was pretty good, nothing outstanding though. Not sure if I'd make it again.
  • amgreenwellamgreenwell Posts: 1,247Member Member Posts: 1,247Member Member
    Orange chicken with Asian stir fry and jasmine rice
  • runnermom419runnermom419 Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Last night was buffalo chicken wraps. First I brined two chicken breasts (Large saucepan of water, bring to a boil, add quarter cup of salt, garlic, basil, oregano, and pepper), let the brine cool and then let the chicken soak in the brine for a few hours. I threw the chicken in the crockpot along with a cup of buffalo sauce, turned to high for about 3 hours then shredded it. Served on a wrap with lettuce, blue cheese, tomato and onion.

When you are throwing meat in the slow cooker to stew for few hours, you absolutely do not have to brine it. It does nothing at all.

Except add flavor and keep the chicken from being dry AF.
    edited February 12
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,164Member Member Posts: 6,164Member Member
    Last night was buffalo chicken wraps. First I brined two chicken breasts (Large saucepan of water, bring to a boil, add quarter cup of salt, garlic, basil, oregano, and pepper), let the brine cool and then let the chicken soak in the brine for a few hours. I threw the chicken in the crockpot along with a cup of buffalo sauce, turned to high for about 3 hours then shredded it. Served on a wrap with lettuce, blue cheese, tomato and onion.

When you are throwing meat in the slow cooker to stew for few hours, you absolutely do not have to brine it. It does nothing at all.

Nope. Not in the slow cooker. Nothing will come out dry out of a slow cooker cooking in liquid.
  • runnermom419runnermom419 Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member

Nope. Not in the slow cooker. Nothing will come out dry out of a slow cooker cooking in liquid.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a "criticize what the person above you cooked" thread. *I* liked what I made and couldn't care less what some wanna be Gordon Ramsey thinks. Have an AWESOME evening!!! :smile: :smile:
  • mjbnj0001mjbnj0001 Posts: 602Member Member Posts: 602Member Member
    Tonight (Tuesday): saute/braised Italian-style chicken breast with veggies (mushrooms, onion, garlic, tomato, olive), pasta with sauce with additional veg (frozen broccoli and cauliflower, steamed).

Pics:
    (1) as served.
    (2) beginning of braise stage. I misjudged the liquid requirement, so I tossed in a half handful of rice to soak some of it up. When reduced, the liquid made a nice pan sauce.

57i5zbb1b2wj.jpg

dtdziaktavsy.jpg

• aokoyeaokoye Posts: 1,934Member Member Posts: 1,934Member Member
    Mussakhan - a Palestinian chicken dish with onions, sumac, and allspice (among other things) served with flatbread. I ended up eating it with pita that I bought from the Lebanese grocery store near my house - they make it to order. I am also kicking myself for not buying sumac there but instead of going to Penzeys. It was half the price at the local place.

It was my first time making it and it's definitely a keeper. I was initially planning on using an entire chicken but decided to not use the breasts (will be using them for chicken stock tomorrow - thanks to another thread that has me lusting after matzo ball soup). I'm now kicking myself for that decision because leftovers will go fast! I also omitted one of the three tbsp of olive oil as well as the pine nuts (not a big fan of pine nuts). There's a nearly identical recipe on the NYTime's cooking website which is adapted from the same book.
    edited February 13
  • KiyomooKiyomoo Posts: 198Member Member Posts: 198Member Member
    I got out a can of soup, put the contents in a bowl, and then put that bowl in the microwave. That's the extent of my cooking skills!
  • neugebauer52neugebauer52 Posts: 670Member Member Posts: 670Member Member
    We had a lot of feta cheese - so last night we crumbled some up, steamed spinach, added a couple of eggs, garlic, pepadews, some milk and baked the lot for half an hour. Delicious with a huge bowl of mixed salad.
  • corrarjocorrarjo Posts: 1,341Member Member Posts: 1,341Member Member
    Check out FoodWishes.com with Chef John. Adjust ingredients and portion size to suit your needs.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a "criticize what the person above you cooked" thread. *I* liked what I made and couldn't care less what some wanna be Gordon Ramsey thinks. Have an AWESOME evening!!! :smile: :smile:

Not criticizing at all. All I am saying is that in this case there is absolutely no need to go that extra step. And if you dont believe me, brine one breast and dont brine the other. If you can tell the difference you have some super special sensitive taste buds.

Ohhhhhhh and ouch.
    edited February 13
    Mixed seafood + fettuccine + putanesca.
  • tcunbelievertcunbeliever Posts: 6,593Member Member Posts: 6,593Member Member
    Baked chicken breast (salt, pepper, garlic) to go over caesar salad (the pre-mix costco version) because I'm incredibly lazy sometimes!
  • corrarjocorrarjo Posts: 1,341Member Member Posts: 1,341Member Member
    Last night I had a 6 ounce sirloin steak medium rare, with vidalia onion, baby bella mushrooms, and asparagus sautéed in olive oil.
  • tamazinegracetamazinegrace Posts: 24Member Member Posts: 24Member Member
    My brekky this morn! Savoury oatmeal cooked in chicken stock, with garlic, cheese, oregano, caramelized onion, bacon and egg :)

lley6p7oxzfc.jpg
    edited February 14
    Caulipowered pizza Margheritta.
  • mjbnj0001mjbnj0001 Posts: 602Member Member Posts: 602Member Member
    Tonight (Thursday, 14th) - Chicken Stroganoff over mixed rice medley and mixed veggies. Lower-cal chicken dish, as I used Greek Yogurt rather than sour cream. Your SO might like a little indulgent flavor on Valentine's Day, and might appreciate the lessened guilty pleasure of it, LOL.

lbcdd4colatl.jpg

• acpgeeacpgee Posts: 3,277Member Member Posts: 3,277Member Member
    I'm doing a big cook tomorrow. My standard gift for new parents is an afternoon of batch cooking a bunch of freezer meals. I am doing Dutch split pea soup (served with dark rye bread) and Dak Dori Tang (served with rice).

https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-dutch-split-pea-soup-1129011
    https://mykoreankitchen.com/spicy-korean-chicken-stew/
    That pan seared tuna in sesame seeds and green bean saute posted in the other thread.