The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,162 Member
    Options
    deceived1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Checking in. 165 days sober today. Been trying to quit permanently since 2016 -- this is my longest stretch (4 months, 3 months being the other two longest ones). I'm so much happier without alcohol, so trying to learn/absorb as many tools as possible to make this last. I will not drink with you all today!

I smiled at your last sentence! Congrats on the long stretch. Xo
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Kinda quiet on here. Hope everyone's doing well!!

I was really angry today!! Just spittin' mad. Just cause!! Then I bawled! I wonder if some of the anger I stuffed down is making it's way back up!! Any thoughts, or insights on that? Wondering if anyone is having anything similar? OR has had? Please share :'(
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    Just cuz not cause!! The perfectionist in me ;);)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Kinda quiet on here. Hope everyone's doing well!!

I was really angry today!! Just spittin' mad. Just cause!! Then I bawled! I wonder if some of the anger I stuffed down is making it's way back up!! Any thoughts, or insights on that? Wondering if anyone is having anything similar? OR has had? Please share :'(

I felt the same way today! Irritable,kinda sad,kinda anxious and the thought of getting crunk crossed my mind! I was trying to convince myself that it's not even worth it to be sober if I gotta feel this crappy,grrr,hopefully it's just PMS and tomorrow is better :'(
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @lorrainequiche59, I don’t have any answers but have been experiencing little unexplained bouts of depression, and I’ve heard depression described as anger turned inward. I may be on the wrong track but I’ve been chalking it up to my body and brain adjusting to this brave new AF world and just breathing through it rather than resisting it. Hope tomorrow is more pleasant for you.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear some of you are feeling sad, depressed, and angry. It does get better. I've been sober for quite a long time now, and it has actually helped my mood tremendously in the long run. I'm very calm and easy going. It takes a lot to make me angry now or to make me feel depressed. I'm a kind of happy that I never was when I drank. I feel everything genuinely, and I have to handle my problems instead of trying to drink them away.

I guess it's natural to be feeling this way though when you're giving something up that your body and mind has been used to. For those of you that truly want to quit, hang in there! It is worth it. I don't know anyone that has regretted giving up drinking. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I've found i need to be particular to which al anon meetings i attend. i have found good ones but they too need to work they steps and not just whine. whine to your sponsor. get a sponsor. get some desperation.
    how many temporary insanity inmates were in need of a 12 step program?

Chris R used to say that a meeting should be a pep rally. i'm having issues with that locally so i just listen to speaker tapes on the Tube
  • Kenni94
    Kenni94 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @xrsize4dad Yes! It’s so hard to stay focused when those around you don’t take your struggle seriously. And I agree, absolutely nothing good comes from alcohol. So why do we do it?! I hope you achieve your goal, I believe in you (:
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    Congrats Julie on Day 30 AF!!! You Go Girl!

Hello & welcome to all the supportive newbies...this thread is AWESOME!!!

@donimfp describing alcohol as a monster & distinguishing between the little & big monster is an interesting depiction of the nature of the "beast" we are all trying to conquer. And giving into a craving once like returning to prison just once. EEEEK!! No thank you!

Also, ditto to the comments about alcohol sabotaging the efforts we make to shed weight. WE CAN DO THIS!! We ARE doing this!!! <3
  • gr8fulplanet
    gr8fulplanet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @amymoreorless I have learned I absolutely cannot moderate. I've been trying for years. I cannot have that first one. Alcohol wants more alcohol. At least you know you can quit....you did so for 7 months last year! Best of luck and we are here for you.

I can identify. The story is the same for many of us. That’s what makes groups like this so wonderful. We are not alone.