What do you eat as a treat that doesn’t spiral into binging?

Options

Replies

• gstaubs1
    gstaubs1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Pistachios, Frozen fruit bars, String cheese, Dried Fruit, Jerky, Veggie straws, Baked Pita crackers & Hummus
  • InfiniteInnerBeauty9190
    Options
    I enjoy sunflower seeds as a snack but today I had tortilla chips and Oreo minis as my snacks. Almonds, walnuts, half a piece of fruit, and cheese are other snacks that I eat.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    I’m going to take a bit of a contrarian position here...

I’d say the worst time to ‘treat’ yourself (in terms of a food splurge) is when you’re tying it to some kind of response to a bad day. Whether you’re rewarding yourself because you survived the tough day or consoling yourself because the day went to pot, you perpetuate an undesirable stimulus-response cycle.

On top of which you go on to say that junk foods carry negative connotations for you. So how would eating junk food (which isn’t a good food choice AND which you suggest you don’t enjoy) be a win here?

If you need the caloric intake, I suggest something less in the junk category and more in the category of high calorie foods you enjoy but can’t always fit in to your eating plan. Like, perhaps, nuts. Or an avocado. Or cheese. Perhaps a glass of wine.

I hadn’t really been checking in to this thread much (it ran away from me a little, I posted in a moment of stress). But this is some of the best advice I’ve gotten so thank you ❤️ emotion-food responses are really ingrained in me. Thank you for sharing your perspective
  • kynesa
    kynesa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like to have a decaf cup.of coffee. Just tried a new Oreo creamer. If you measure out the creamer just 37 cals per cup. If I'm in a salt mood I tend to pop popcorn and sprinkle some wistershire sauce. Salty, smoky. Good!
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    I hadn’t really been checking in to this thread much (it ran away from me a little, I posted in a moment of stress). But this is some of the best advice I’ve gotten so thank you ❤️ emotion-food responses are really ingrained in me. Thank you for sharing your perspective

Sure thing. And, it's not like I don't know this stuff from experience.

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My favorite healthy treat Trader's Joe's Honey Greek Yogurt. It's rich enough to be almost ice-creamy, and sweet enough without sugar if I sprinkle some dried fruit on top, or sometimes just by itself. Add a few roasted almonds and it's got all the major "treat groups" - sweet, salty, creamy, & crunchy.

Granola with low-fat unflavored yogurt, and instant oatmeal, are both great with any dried fruit or almonds I didn't eat with my Honey Yogurt.

Trader Joe's cinnamon graham crackers with peanut butter, or apple slices with peanut butter. Dried fruit goes on both of those, too. :)

I'm experimenting with keeping mango sorbet in the house. I don't like it as well as ice cream or most other frozen treats; which means that I didn't eat the whole carton the night I brought it home from the grocery store. But I do like it enough that I've been enjoying one 4 oz. serving every couple of days. (Is that how normal people eat sweet gooey treats? Must be interesting).

This thread has been an interesting read, because the treats that work are so specific to the individual. Most of the items mentioned have been either been things that I'm not interested in, or else things that I can't keep in the house - there's very little middle ground.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    I’m going to take a bit of a contrarian position here...

I’d say the worst time to ‘treat’ yourself (in terms of a food splurge) is when you’re tying it to some kind of response to a bad day. Whether you’re rewarding yourself because you survived the tough day or consoling yourself because the day went to pot, you perpetuate an undesirable stimulus-response cycle.

On top of which you go on to say that junk foods carry negative connotations for you. So how would eating junk food (which isn’t a good food choice AND which you suggest you don’t enjoy) be a win here?

If you need the caloric intake, I suggest something less in the junk category and more in the category of high calorie foods you enjoy but can’t always fit in to your eating plan. Like, perhaps, nuts. Or an avocado. Or cheese. Perhaps a glass of wine.
    Yeah, I kind of skipped over this the first time through because I clicked on this thread to read about yummy treats, not to think about healthy eating behavior. (! :o )

But she makes some really worthwhile points. B)

• kiela64
    Options
    My favorite healthy treat Trader's Joe's Honey Greek Yogurt. It's rich enough to be almost ice-creamy, and sweet enough without sugar if I sprinkle some dried fruit on top, or sometimes just by itself. Add a few roasted almonds and it's got all the major "treat groups" - sweet, salty, creamy, & crunchy.

Granola with low-fat unflavored yogurt, and instant oatmeal, are both great with any dried fruit or almonds I didn't eat with my Honey Yogurt.

Trader Joe's cinnamon graham crackers with peanut butter, or apple slices with peanut butter. Dried fruit goes on both of those, too. :)

I'm experimenting with keeping mango sorbet in the house. I don't like it as well as ice cream or most other frozen treats; which means that I didn't eat the whole carton the night I brought it home from the grocery store. But I do like it enough that I've been enjoying one 4 oz. serving every couple of days. (Is that how normal people eat sweet gooey treats? Must be interesting).

This thread has been an interesting read, because the treats that work are so specific to the individual. Most of the items mentioned have been either been things that I'm not interested in, or else things that I can't keep in the house - there's very little middle ground.

Right?! It’s so interesting to me that there’s so little middle ground for me too. But your yogurt sounds delicious!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options

Right?! It’s so interesting to me that there’s so little middle ground for me too. But your yogurt sounds delicious!
    Well, hmphf. What's wrong with Trader Joe's that they don't operate in Canada? :| (What silly people!)

But if you'd like to try it, any good-quality whole-fat greek yogurt should do about the same, especially if you can find a very lightly sweetened one.

• kiela64
    Options

Well, hmphf. What's wrong with Trader Joe's that they don't operate in Canada? :| (What silly people!)

But if you'd like to try it, any good-quality whole-fat greek yogurt should do about the same, especially if you can find a very lightly sweetened one.

Thank you! Yes, our grocery options are sadly more limited. But I have seen honey yogurt - I buy Liberte and Oikos Greek yogurt. I buy typically 2% vanilla & plain and mix them with fruit. But the full fat & dried fruit & almonds sounds like a fantastic idea. 😋
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Gosh you're all good snackers aren't you! I'm awful! If I have calories left over I'm all over those chocolate biscuits or those Little Bar Dairy milk things 😂 Well done you guys with you chick peas and cereal bars!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Everything

Although, I do have a trick with chips (salty snacks were always my downfall). I no longer buy the big bags of chips, I buy the small single serving bags and compare calories to each variety I like. This way I can have the "whole bag" of Ms. Vicky's Jalapeno chips and still only have 200 calories.

Snacks that don't come in single serving packs, I repackage in baggies in single servings. This way I don't mindlessly eat the whole package of cookies, but rather have 1 serving at a time.
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I budget 50 calories for chocolate and have it every night just before I go to bed. That way it acts as a little reward to look forward to all day, and also can't turn into a binge because I'm letting it melt in my mouth as I drift off to sleep so no time for seconds! LOL! Works for me.

But I second the no sugar added ice creams and beef jerky. Also fond of roasted seaweed snacks.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options

Thank you! Yes, our grocery options are sadly more limited. But I have seen honey yogurt - I buy Liberte and Oikos Greek yogurt. I buy typically 2% vanilla & plain and mix them with fruit. But the full fat & dried fruit & almonds sounds like a fantastic idea. 😋
    Do you guys get Fage or Chobani? They're spendier than Oikos, but they also have more grams of protein/serving. I especially like the Fage because it's packaged in metric, so I get a kilo for the price of two lbs. ;)

Also, just to be clear, for my "yogurt-type yogurt" needs, I buy the plain non-fat and mix it with fruit or whatever. It's for my "yogurt at the ice cream masquerade" treats that I get the full-fat. B)

• mrsallenmoore
    mrsallenmoore Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Fiery hot peatos
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

Do you guys get Fage or Chobani? They're spendier than Oikos, but they also have more grams of protein/serving. I especially like the Fage because it's packaged in metric, so I get a kilo for the price of two lbs. ;)

Also, just to be clear, for my "yogurt-type yogurt" needs, I buy the plain non-fat and mix it with fruit or whatever. It's for my "yogurt at the ice cream masquerade" treats that I get the full-fat. B)

Not in Alberta... :-(
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    ice cream. I can only eat so much (before my lactose intolerance becomes a problem) but it is also a nice treat. But I'm talking dilly bars or drumsticks. Things where you open a package and eat the thing inside it. Not just a 4L of ice cream lol.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have ~400 calories left and I’ve had a tough day and want a treat, but I don’t want to eat something that’s going to make me feel bad, or trigger more cravings. I don’t have anything specific in mind, but I just want something enjoyable.

I don’t have trouble enjoying treats with people but I’m on my own today and I feel like if I go somewhere and order an ice cream it’ll feel weird and set off some old binging behaviour. My SO calls it “establishing a pathway” where if you do something recently it’s more of an option, so like whenever I pass that place etc I’ll think of the ice cream and have to actively say no.

Not everyone might have connotations of sadness and guilt with junk foods, but I do. I can’t think of anything that won’t make me feel weird about it. I’d love to hear about how other people navigate this stuff.

This might be an opportunity to just simply try a new behavior, period.

Treat 400 calories as 400 calories any other meal. Part of eating mindfully is not getting emotionally wrapped up in food as good or bad...it's fuel. You're not bad or good for needing fuel.

Now...go refresh yourself in a non-food way. Find a new way of relaxing and recharging. Go for a walk. Read in the park. Call up a friend. But do something--even for ten minutes--that is mindful and good for you. Sometimes the go-to is to eat and watch TV, but that's not really what brings the most happiness.
  • kiela64
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I have ~400 calories left and I’ve had a tough day and want a treat, but I don’t want to eat something that’s going to make me feel bad, or trigger more cravings. I don’t have anything specific in mind, but I just want something enjoyable.

I don’t have trouble enjoying treats with people but I’m on my own today and I feel like if I go somewhere and order an ice cream it’ll feel weird and set off some old binging behaviour. My SO calls it “establishing a pathway” where if you do something recently it’s more of an option, so like whenever I pass that place etc I’ll think of the ice cream and have to actively say no.

Not everyone might have connotations of sadness and guilt with junk foods, but I do. I can’t think of anything that won’t make me feel weird about it. I’d love to hear about how other people navigate this stuff.

This might be an opportunity to just simply try a new behavior, period.

Treat 400 calories as 400 calories any other meal. Part of eating mindfully is not getting emotionally wrapped up in food as good or bad...it's fuel. You're not bad or good for needing fuel.

Now...go refresh yourself in a non-food way. Find a new way of relaxing and recharging. Go for a walk. Read in the park. Call up a friend. But do something--even for ten minutes--that is mindful and good for you. Sometimes the go-to is to eat and watch TV, but that's not really what brings the most happiness.

I’m going to save this on my phone for when I feel this way again.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Everything

Although, I do have a trick with chips (salty snacks were always my downfall). I no longer buy the big bags of chips, I buy the small single serving bags and compare calories to each variety I like. This way I can have the "whole bag" of Ms. Vicky's Jalapeno chips and still only have 200 calories.

Snacks that don't come in single serving packs, I repackage in baggies in single servings. This way I don't mindlessly eat the whole package of cookies, but rather have 1 serving at a time.

Yes, there is something more mentally satisfying about getting to eat 'the whole bag' than doling out a portion from a larger package.