Ancient Bone broth and the nutritional infi

Options
12346»

Replies

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    clsumrall1 wrote: »

"Uncertainty remains". Even the scientists doing the studies are aware of the variables and the difficulties presented in conducting them. They're still theorising at this point and make it clear they haven't yet pinpointed all the factors that go into affecting intestinal sensitivity, so they can't say for certain why some people have sensitivities and some don't. In other words, the studies haven't drawn any firm conclusions, except that it's looking like genetic predisposition and diet may be part of the reasons some people experience intestinal disorders.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Lol. Well what caught my interest is the personal results I haveHad. I’m lucky here in NE Pennsylvania I have great access to dairy and farm which are all grass feed cow lamb pork. It’s so clean and quite different from grain fed. To make bone broth which has quite different profile than stock or regular broth. FYI. Must cook for about 3 days and requires apple cider vinegar that is organic and raw to do the proper treatment. I us marrow bones chicken feet and carcass as well as lamb and pork. FYI do your due diligence. please, and if you don’t like the discussion feel free to leave. But stop the hate ing

btw, broth is a vegetable product and stock has bones. so like chicken stock or beef stock. mmmm...shrimp stock.

Not exactly, stock has bones and broth does not, correct. That doesn't mean that broth can't come from animal proteins - most of the time it does really. The difference between stock and broth is that stock comes from simmering bones and broth comes from simmering meat. Links from The Kitchn, Alton Brown, Food and Wine, and the Food Network.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Lol. Well what caught my interest is the personal results I haveHad. I’m lucky here in NE Pennsylvania I have great access to dairy and farm which are all grass feed cow lamb pork. It’s so clean and quite different from grain fed. To make bone broth which has quite different profile than stock or regular broth. FYI. Must cook for about 3 days and requires apple cider vinegar that is organic and raw to do the proper treatment. I us marrow bones chicken feet and carcass as well as lamb and pork. FYI do your due diligence. please, and if you don’t like the discussion feel free to leave. But stop the hate ing

btw, broth is a vegetable product and stock has bones. so like chicken stock or beef stock. mmmm...shrimp stock.

Not exactly, stock has bones and broth does not, correct. That doesn't mean that broth can't come from animal proteins - most of the time it does really. The difference between stock and broth is that stock comes from simmering bones and broth comes from simmering meat. Links from The Kitchn, Alton Brown, Food and Wine, and the Food Network.

Interesting. So, when I cook and use vegetable... flavored simmering liquid, is that a broth, a stock, or is there some other more accurate but less-often used term for it?
  • aokoye
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Interesting. So, when I cook and use vegetable... flavored simmering liquid, is that a broth, a stock, or is there some other more accurate but less-often used term for it?

I suspect the term that is a combination of most used and most accurate would be "vegetable broth". It would be easy to argue that "well it's also not broth because there was no meat used to make it" but you could also argue, "I'm using 'vegetable' to denote the fact that there was no meat used in the same way people say 'veggie sausage'." Either way, it's not stock because of the lack of bones.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Ah okay. Thanks!
  • aokoye
    Options

facts aren't hating. They are ... FACTS.

Also anecdata is not data.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I had bone tablets as a child for calcium deficiency, but "powdered bone broth" sounds like you're just buying fancy stock cubes. Personally I'd just use Bovril.

Is that what that means? I was thinking it meant pulverized bones, not dehydrated stock. But I'm betting you're probably right.

Pulverised animal bones is what chalk used to be made of, and it was given in tablet form to children with calcium deficiency. To pulverise bones at home you'd need to dry them out in an oven on low heat for about three days before grinding them (while presumably chanting "fee fi fo fum").

Well, it sounded (in the OP) like she was talking about a commercial product, since she said she "invested" in it -- not something she was making herself. But the phrase "powdered bone broth" for (finely granulated ??) instant bouillon is just as weird as making up a new name for stock, IMO. It's just so the people touting this stuff can pretend they've invented some new thing, rather than just slapped a new name on something people have been doing for millennia.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I had bone tablets as a child for calcium deficiency, but "powdered bone broth" sounds like you're just buying fancy stock cubes. Personally I'd just use Bovril.

Is that what that means? I was thinking it meant pulverized bones, not dehydrated stock. But I'm betting you're probably right.

Pulverised animal bones is what chalk used to be made of, and it was given in tablet form to children with calcium deficiency. To pulverise bones at home you'd need to dry them out in an oven on low heat for about three days before grinding them (while presumably chanting "fee fi fo fum").

Well, it sounded (in the OP) like she was talking about a commercial product, since she said she "invested" in it -- not something she was making herself. But the phrase "powdered bone broth" for (finely granulated ??) instant bouillon is just as weird as making up a new name for stock, IMO. It's just so the people touting this stuff can pretend they've invented some new thing, rather than just slapped a new name on something people have been doing for millennia.

If you google powdered bone broth, it is unfortunately a product you can buy :disappointed:
This discussion has been closed.