A poll to convince my a**hole boyfriend he's wrong

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Dear lord some of you have some incredible man-hatred.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Get a new boyfriend - one that does not utter such idiotic and unscientific crap.....

This!
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    The real question is why do you listen to others, and not do your own research? Problem solved..lazy people listen to others instead of doing their own research, also so they can blame others instead of taking responsibility for their own thoughts & choices. Suck it up put on your big girl panties and think for yourself!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible. If you have various body parts amputated.

How much does your boyfriend weigh? I suggest you lose that much weight immediately! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    tell the dip it took me a year to lose 75 pounds.

Studies show the best weight loss is 2lb a week on average.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Probably not possible...and dangerous as heck to even attempt. Is he nuts?
  • becajb
    becajb Posts: 50
    Options
    The real question is, is he asking you to lose the weight or do you want to? What is motivating you? Whatever goal you set will only be reached if you want to reach it. I agree with what many have wrote that even if you lost that much, it is likely to be hard to maintain and may do more harm than good to your body.

Whatever you do it has to be sustainable.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Get a new boyfriend - one that does not utter such idiotic and unscientific crap.....

^^^^ this! Seriously, you don't need that crap! I know it's easy for ppl to tell u that, but it's true!

How does that help? Motivate? Support?
    This my sister, is NOT a loving relationship!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Is it physically possible for a woman to lose 100 pounds in 4 months??????????? I mean, of course there is the "you never know what can happen" and blah blah blah, but I'm speaking REALISTICALLY. He assures me that if I "go hard" in the gym everyday, that there is NO REASON why I shouldn't be able to do it. This is his way of "motivating" me. Pssssssssshhh.

Thoughts?

100lbs in 4 months, well lets do the math.

120 days, 3500 calories per lb, 100lbs.

350,000 calories / 120 days

BMR - 2916.66 Calorie Deficit per day.... which unless you're morbidly obese or insanely active every day you really have no chance to hit it. Lets figure you're 260 lbs (160 goal, 100 lbs+) and 5'6"... 25 years old, then your bmr would be around 1945.

So you would have to burn roughly everything you eat, plus another 1000 calories a day to lose 100lbs in 4 months.... eg: more or a less complete starvation plus exercise.

At >100 lbs overweight you can safely lose 2lbs a week until you hit about 30 lbs over weight and then you can safely lose around 1... and then from 15 overweight down to goal weight usually .5lb/week

So you can figure 100 lbs "normally" takes 35 weeks (-70lbs), 20 weeks (-20 lbs), then 20 weeks (-10lbs)... so 100 lbs in what is considered generally safe, 75 weeks... give or take about a year and a half.

Losing that fast (100lbs/4mo - even if possible) you'd likely get gallstones, kidney stones, heart issues, kidney issues, etc. Bad juju. By "go hard" your boyfriend apparently means "run marathons". Just as a point of reference, losing weight that fast is faster than even a gastic bypass and following the exact plan the doctors gave you for exercise and eating.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I know a good way to cut out 180 pounds in one day - lose the boyfriend.. now see it can be done! 180 pounds of useless man!

just kidding.

I dont know the answer to your question. I suppose if you were in a hospital in a coma, you might be able to. Or like if you went to a place and refused to eat, maybe you would. I bet the internet has statistics somewhere. just do a google search to see if anyone has done it.
  • ermer00
    ermer00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that isn't realistic and it's unfair for him to be setting you impossible goals. I'm sure somebody somewhere has lost 100lb in four months but it wouldn't have been done in a healthy way at all and is very far from the norm. Aim for 2lb a week.

Just do whatever makes you feel best and ignore him. Don't let it ruin your motivation.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    He assures me that if I "go hard" in the gym everyday, that there is NO REASON why I shouldn't be able to do it. This is his way of "motivating" me. Pssssssssshhh.
    Hey, I think I dated that guy! Yeah, I dumped his @$$.

OK, seriously, the rest of the thread is tl;dr and there may be some other details somewhere in the last 8 pages that indicate this particular guy is an abusive scumwad and you should throw rocks at him... but not having read anything to that effect, I gotta stand up for the men here in general. In truth, he may well think he's helping you by being upbeat and encouraging and inspirational (of course you can do it, sweetie, you can do anything if you want it and try hard enough!). That's typical well-intentioned boyfriend behavior, in my experience.

Is his "100 pounds in 4 months" suggestion reasonable in the real world? Not really. I mean, technically possible, maybe -- but you're a real person with a real life, probably not somebody who can dedicate the next four months of her life to fitness full-time. I sure wouldn't try it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. And that's what I'd say to him. "Thanks, honey, for your encouragement and support! Now that you mention it, it does seem mathematically possible to do it that fast, but for the sake of balance in my life and having time for work and play and, well, you... I think I'll be better off taking it a bit more slowly."

If this doesn't sit well... if you really think he's an @$$hole... then I'd suggest you consider doing both of you a favor and moving on, because being in a committed relationship with a woman who thinks he's an @$$hole (and posts "polls" to RSOIs just to show him how wrong he is) is no more healthy for him than being in a relationship with an @$$hole is for you.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I know how you could lose more than 100lb's in an instant...dump that meathead.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    STOP THIS RIGHT NOW !!!
    WE CAN TALK ABOUT THIS WHEN I GET HOME !!!
    NOT COOL !!!
    How YOU doin? :bigsmile:
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You could lose a lot more than that in an instant. Dump the idiot boyfriend.

THIS
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I know how you could lose more than 100lb's in an instant...dump that meathead.

i said that too.. !!!

I suppose you could do surgery and do liposuction and tummy tuck and that would make you lose 40 pounds in one afternoon.

I know one guy come to think of it, over at the gym, a while back, the gym had this weight loss challenge and if i am remembering right, he won, but he did it sneaky. heres what he did.

He weighed in , lets say the scale said 230. But before the weigh-in, he drank a LOT of water, and bloated himself on purpose. Then he was in the gym all the time (now a guy will most likely lose weight quicker than a woman in general). so then he totally watches what he eats, probably using a lot of protein drink meals, anyway, at the end of the 3 months, he lost a ton of weight, probably at the end he used laxatives and stuff, maybe even he got a colonic or something like that.. probably wrapped himself in plastic and sat in the steam room for a few times.. anyhoo, he dehydrated and at the end he lost like a whole lot of weight.. I cant remember how much but it may have been like 75 pounds in 3 months.

but i do not recommend this!!! just telling you that a dude at the gym did it thru these tactics.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am not even sure it's physically possible to do this. Definitely NOT safe to accomplish. If you need to lose 100 pounds 2 pounds a week is realistic. (if you're not too short to fit that macro, I am. 1200 is the lowest safe number to meet nutritional needs and if you're short you end up with something like 1.3 pounds a week if you eat to that level)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    sure you can by dumping him I'm sure you'll lose that and then some.
  • VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Are you actually going to come back and talk about what's happened or is it that you just wanted to be "right"?

Do you frequently call your boyfriend an *kitten*? If yes, two questions: 1. why are you staying with him and 2. why do you listen to him?

Why does it matter that he thinks the unrealistic things? Grow a pair and tell him the STFU, and/or get a new boyfriend.

Just saying, when I get in an argument with my husband, I don't run to the internet for validation of what I already know. It sounds like both of you have issues to work out.