September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Wow, ok. I could almost see the Fitzgerald ideal weight as a possibility, if I were to truly get serious about it (I'd be cranky and miserable though). But that Stillman weight calculator - no hope there. I can't even imagine what it would require to get to those low weights for a long-distance runner. And then to still have energy enough to run those distances!

Yes. Which is why i said "lifes too short. I'm fixing that bacon pancake!" Which was pretty good ...
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Wow, ok. I could almost see the Fitzgerald ideal weight as a possibility, if I were to truly get serious about it (I'd be cranky and miserable though). But that Stillman weight calculator - no hope there. I can't even imagine what it would require to get to those low weights for a long-distance runner. And then to still have energy enough to run those distances!

Frankly, I like ice cream too much to contemplate it. :lol:

In fact...

7mjcui9iyz1v.png

That is all I have to say :lol:

No nuts? Pecans are perfect with ice cream. And caramel sauce? Where's it? C'mon Vince, do it up right!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Frankly, I like ice cream too much to contemplate it. :lol:

In fact...

7mjcui9iyz1v.png

That is all I have to say :lol:

No nuts? Pecans are perfect with ice cream. And caramel sauce? Where's it? C'mon Vince, do it up right!

Wife is allergic to some nuts so we do not keep any but that is chocolate chip chocolate ice cream :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Here's a for "fun" link to find your elite weight. Let me just say, if you thought your Fitzgerald Racing Weight was beyond reached well out of high school.... Yikes! (Well now i just have to go fix a bacon pancake.. oink).

https://runbundle.com/tools/stillman-weight-calculator

*Not endorsing unrealistic weight goals* We are runners, not elite athletes.

Well. My target weight is between Sprinter and Hurdler. Middle Distance is lighter than I believe achievable, and I'd have to lose some muscle to get down to Long Distance. I am not a sprinter, and I'm afraid to try to become a hurdler. "Middle Distance" to me is 10K, but in track terminology it's 800m and 1000m. That's too short for me.

I guess I need to be happy with how fast I am, and not try to lose enough weight to win a national age group individual title.

I fought tooth and nail THREE TIMES to get to the low weight I am at now. I think a 30-31 inch waist on a 5'11'' guy is small enough. :D So I am with you on this, I will just have to settle for all those age group places I earned this year...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    While at the bdacks game the other night one of the players wife told us about a virtual 5k that helps single parents with a child that has cancer. It looks like an AZ charity but I thought I'd share the link here. It's only $29 and you get both a tshirt and medal. I was planning to sign up.

https://www.thesingletonsaz.org/your-way-virtual-5-k-registration/

I'd never really looked at virtual races but this got me wondering what was out there, so a few minutes of googling later and I discovered the Hogwarts Running Club. Harry Potter plus running plus neat charities plus freaking awesome bling? Take my money, please! I already signed up for the September event and am wondering how many late registrations I can budget as "health" expenses before my husband starts getting concerned. Ahhhh!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Shorter would honestly seem counter-intuitive (to me), given that height usually means longer legs...but then again, Eliud Kipchoge is 5'7" and look at that guy fly!
    Here's a for "fun" link to find your elite weight. Let me just say, if you thought your Fitzgerald Racing Weight was beyond reached well out of high school.... Yikes! (Well now i just have to go fix a bacon pancake.. oink).

https://runbundle.com/tools/stillman-weight-calculator
    Um, I just tried that link...I need to lose just two pounds to be the ideal weight for a long distance runner. :neutral:

Go poo poo. Cuz ur full of it haha! JK! That explains how you can run so far so fast!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of either of those running/racing weight things. Wow. Just wow. Not ever going to be either of those. One is doable, but not desired and the other is grossly underweight. Just wow.

As for virtual races....I did one when my real one was cancelled for weather.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. I'm pretty lean - in fact in the last two days two complete strangers have asked me how I stay so slim - and Fitzgerald would have me lose two pounds, a weight I was a few months back which didn't look great on me, but Stillman, to be a long distance runner, would have me lose nearly 20 pounds. From where exactly?? 52.7kg - the last time I was that weight I was about 14 years old.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I also want to have fun since I'll be running the strip at night. Need to find some glow sticks. Where do ravers shop? 😂
    I've done RnR Vegas 4 times, and will again this year. Trust me, you won't need a glow stick! There are only a couple of darkish spots, but still well lit enough not to need any extra. Also, I needed to stop at a souvenir shop to buy a long-sleeved shirt to run in there one year. November nites in the desert can be chilly (but you know that!)

Didn't run yesterday, snorkeled today....report tomorrow (unless Olivia interferes....)

• PastorVincent
    Options
    pafagel wrote: »
    I wanna join! I'm aiming for 160 km/100 miles this month. I've only done 18.8 km so far due to a cold, but i'm sure I can catch up. My main focus for now is to gain some speed. I can run relatively fast on asphalt but then my knees get angry with me. My knees stay happy when I run on a soft forest trail but then I'm so slow due to the hills. Running up hill is exhausting, running down hill is scary especially when the ground is wet and muddy. Trying to find a compromise that keep my knees and my timer happy.

Welcome!