Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,568 Member
    Options
    Awesome sauce barbiecat!!
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    (((Mary))) Hope DD is getting better. Can't imagine how stressed you are over Shep. Take care.

Barbie: Yay for the good news.

I got my bone density results today and there is still the 'start' of osteopenia on my lower spine. It was recommended I keep up regime of calcium, Vitamin D and weight bearing exercise. Hope I can continue to arrest further decline.

Last night I had stomach cramps which thankfully went away on their own. No idea what triggered that. Today I had almost no appetite - a rare phenomenon, so not eating and just taking this a fasting day. Otherwise, it was a picture perfect fall day.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Lisa: You had asked a couple days ago if anyone had exercises that didn't involve knees. For years I have been doing workouts on JessicaSmithTV youtube channel. I was scanning around, and found this 20 minute chair workout: https://youtube.com/watch?v=s0KmVnoVn-k&list=PLe5P3ayTEj7bU0ljnuSbKkKqaAlPlrLIY&index=20&t=0s
    What I appreciate about JS is her gentle voice, clear instructions and that she doesn't have a posse of supermodels in the background. If this isn't your cup of tea, perhaps one of her other videos will work for you.

Rori
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: There is at least one incompetent in the real estate business in Britain. You’ve run into that person(s). You may have a good subject for a book once you have worked your way through this. I wish things were going better. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I hope the move goes well. I’m not much of a cat person, but I’d give my dog something that smells like me to sleep with if I was moving. Would that work for a cat? :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Congratulations on the good medical news that you can increase exercise! Yay!!! :bigsmile:

Mary: You’ve made a hard decision that is in the best interest of your dog. WTG! It was a kindness on your part, and a difficult choice. I don't think I could do it and wouldn't blame you if you changed your mind. I hope your heart will handle it well. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Lanette: I like your attitude about cars. We drove our past one until it died and have kept the replacements in excellent repair. :smiley:

Vicki: Thanks for your kind words. I’m hoping right along with you. DD thinks she can take care of it. I hope so. :star:

Rori: I did those same things and they seemed to help for a while, but then I fell twice and had broken bones both times—left wrist and right wrist. The doctors encouraged me to take bone density medicine. Mine is alondrate, and I take it with lots of water once a week, first thing in the mornng on an empty stomach. My last bone density scan showed that I have regained bone density and am doing very well. :flowerforyou:

We went to a farm store on Sauvies Island and bought fresh peaches & cream corn on the cob for tonight’s dinner. It will be accompanied by beef from our freezer. It was a lovely drive and I’m glad w went. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Katla- thanks! I even get 2 weeks in the summer that I get to take him home with me. Arizona will be hard but this year we will be going a lot of places that we would have to board him so it is really in his best interest. If he had a choice he would stay with my daughter and son in law...at least he acts that way. I hope all goes well for your tax situation.

<3
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7min, 12.9mph, 140mhr, 1.5mi= 80c
    apple watch- 60c
    TREADMILL slow jog- 50min, 10.17min mi, 5.5-6.2p, 135ahr, 150mhr, 4.86mi= 484c
    apple watch- 538c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5min, 16.9amph, 134mhr, 1.4mi= 66c
    apple watch- 40c
    ride puy 2 sumn station- 13min, 13.4amph, 131ahr, 156mhr, 156c
    apple watch- 120c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5min, 9.39min mi, 144ahr, 151mhr, .5mi= 68c
    apple watch- 55c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- .4.18min, 9.18min mi, 148mhr, 4mi= 56c
    apple watch- 49c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 19min, 8.2amph, 119ahr, 136mhr, 2.6mi= 163c
    apple watch- 143c

total cal 1061
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,354 Member
    Options
    Did 5 min hula hoop, held my plank for 3 min, then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout.

Heather – it’s just amazing that anyone ever sells a home over there. I can’t believe all that you’re going thru

Allie – so glad the house is being sold! When my father died, I had to bury his ashes as soon as I could after I got them. Vince honestly couldn’t understand, he said “they’re just ashes”. Yes, they were just ashes. But I needed closure so I got them on a Monday and had him buried on a Thursday. I just needed to do that for me. Everyone’s different. Now Vince’s mother died over 10 years ago. When she died she wanted to be cremated and Vince wanted to have her ashes sent to us so that he could bury them. I know him so I asked that they be sent to his family in MO where she wanted to be buried. To this day he still hasn’t gone out to MO to bury those ashes. Really, his family probably has already.

Lisa – we have Jess’ cat while she’s in school. Shadow doesn’t like to be with any other cat. She’s very loving to humans, tolerates dogs, but if a cat gets in her personal space – look out! Anyway, I know Vince wants to try to get her somewhat social. Yes, it’s going to be hard because she’s an older cat. And it may never happen. But what he wants to do initially is build a frame to put in the doorway and put screening on it. This way the other cats can go up to her, they can sniff, but they can’t go in her room. Hopefully, this will be the start of a tolerated friendship. Saw the picture of your stove on your blog. One question – that griddle, it looks raised, is it something that can be removed if you want to use the burners underneath?

Exercised, stopped at the Salvation Army but didn’t find anything, then went to Aldi, then bowling. Ceramics tonight then mahjongg.

Katla – at the board meeting this Wednesday, I am going to mention the fact that I’ve been doing this longer than he’s been a member and if certain things happen, there WILL be a problem and he’s indicated he can’t fix it. Then I’ll suggest we go to an outside source, perhaps the custom code that he can’t fix can easily be fixed by a professional. It may take more time, but it may not. I’m going to emphasize the president’s husband who originally did the website and how we should try to keep his legacy alive. I need to tell them that there are certain things that I do in my job that I won’t do until I get updated letters from him which I’ve requested days ago. I also need to tell them that there are members on the old directory that aren’t on the new one and I was never told how to put them on the new directory. Really, the things he did to me look like a 12-year-old did them. It looks like he took a template and just filled in the information. Hey, anyone can do that! Even me…and that’s not saying very much.

Barbie and katla – my Green Room craft that I do when it isn’t busy is a loom knit where I make hats, scarves, basically use up any yarn that I have. This is a fairly easy craft, something I can put down and pick right back up. Like tomorrow I’m supposed to volunteer at the Green Room. I plan to take that with me since we’ll only be selling tickets for the benefactors and it’s usually pretty slow on benefactor day.

Lanette – thanks so much for the idea of wearing a shower cap to bed. When I sleep with Shadow, she has this habit of pawing at my hair during the night, even to the point where she makes knots and one time I had to cut the knot out! I’m going to try that the next time I’m sleeping with her.

Barbie – great news!

Mary – you are doing what is best for Shep, even tho it hurts you, and I know it does. (((HUG)))

Regarding cars: now that we have the transmission rebuilt, we’re going to look for a new (used) car for me. Our financial advisor suggested we get a home equity line of credit until the first of the year when we can pay it off. Plus, if you take out a HE line and refinance your mortgage at the same time, you can refinance it for a lower rate. So we’ll probably do that. Don’t want to look for a car until we have the credit. The good thing is that we won’t be under the gun to get a car.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    :)Rori, I did all the right stuff to maintain bone density and it still didn't work. Now I am resigned to take the medicine. It is the same thing that Katla takes. I laughed really hard when the paperwork from the doctor included suggestions that I do exactly what I've been doing for years (walking, other exercise, weight bearing exercise, Calcium, Vitamin D). Sometimes it's just heredity that deals you lousy bone density.

:)Katla, I was overjoyed when the doctor prescribed the once a week Fosamax and not the daily stuff you used to take. It won't be so hard for me because I walk the dogs immediately after I get up and put on clothes. I don't have my breakfast until after the walk and after I do my gratitude journal and morning spiritual reading and that should take more than the required 30 minutes of not eating or drinking. Now I am really grateful that I gave up coffee years ago.

:'(<3Mary, I know you did a good thing for Shep but so sad for you.

:)suitelady, We lived in Anderson, CA before we moved here....a hot and beautiful part of California,

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,241 Member
    Options
    I'm very proud of myself today for managing to get back to sleep after I woke up with intrusive worrying at 3.30 am. Did my breathing meditation from 10% Happier by Dan Harris (that guy has saved my life) and went back to sleep until 6.30 am. :D
    DH also managed to relax himself back to sleep by reciting his relaxing CD to himself.
    This is some achievement for both of us. It doesn't always work, but we have both made progress. Even 10% progress is good, right? :laugh:
    I think his second book, Meditation for Fidgety Sceptics is even better. Barbie suggested them.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Michele - the griddle sits on the top of the continuous grate, and comes with it as an extra, it's not built-in.

Heather - I convinced myself to go back to sleep on my side of the world at about the same time--doesn't always work, but when it does, I'm always proud of myself! :smiley: Slept for 6 hours 41 minutes, all told (my Fitbit told me so). My Fitbit is set to give me a star when I sleep for 7 hours, and I always have hope. Actually heard my husband's alarm go off at 5 a.m. Unusual.

Editing, since I still have a few minutes: I only drank one 12-ounce cup of coffee yesterday, instead of my usual two. Hmmm... think there's a connection with the sleeping? Might try it again today and see if I sleep well again tonight. While giving up coffee completely is not in my stars in the near future (I tried for six months, it was UGLY), perhaps simply cutting back could work?

Barbie - Glad the news was good! And yes, sometimes, it's just the genes you're born with. My ex had never smoked, quit drinking when he was in his 20s, was physically fit, ate fairly well, and still had a heart attack at 47. Ran in his family. My family's genetic wild cards are for weight, heart issues, and joint problems, but osteoporosis isn't in the hand we've been dealt (so far). Or cancer, oddly enough. And fingers crossed it stays that way.

Rori - thank you for the link! Will be trying it out this morning.

Allie
    - enjoy your down time, and I'm glad you'll have something resembling closure for your dad. It's been a long year for you, but you're still standing. Proud of you!

Had to scramble out and get my driver's license re-made yesterday--went to mail a package and opened my wallet, and the license wasn't there. Luckily, they didn't check it, so I was able to mail the package. Last time I remember seeing it was at TSA in El Paso. Will have to call them today to see what it is they do with them if they're recovered. Just hoping my license isn't out there somewhere in the hands of a bad guy.

It wasn't that big a deal. I took my passport down to the license office and walked out 20 minutes later with a new picture with current hair color (a sort of caramel brown). Will have to get it re-made again when we move and change addresses, but will get it done at that point with the "enhanced" license, also known as REAL ID. Was helpful flying in and out of North Carolina, where it wasn't hard to obtain. Harder here, as you have to have TWO utility bills, which of course, I get electronically. Will probably also get the TSA Pre-Check program done. It's $85 for five years, and it will make sense to do it after we move, so the address won't change during those five years. It's all kind of a pain in the buttinsky, but hey, there are worse things.

Time to get on with my day...
    Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,241 Member
    Options
    KJ - I am a natural sceptic and hate anything woo woo. But I do take on board stuff that has a scientific basis. I love an improving book. If it has a sense of humour then all the better. :smiley:
    Enjoyed yoga this morning. Now to cycle off a few more calories. Must write a few words of the second volume of my autobiography today. I've had a few days off.
    Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Llll