October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I officially started the C25K program yesterday morning, with my dogs (8 and 2 year old heelers) alongside. I don't have a distance goal for the month, because I think if I did that, I'd push myself to do too much, too fast. Nice to meet you all!

Welcome, and congrats on getting started!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes fingers crossed for you
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Sigh, car is dead. Fingers crossed replacing the battery will fix it...

Boo!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I totally get run/walks. I've done it before but I don't stop to a walk in front of someone I just passed.
    I totally agree, it's not that hard to step to the side and look behind you when switching to a walk. I've kept an even pace and passed the same person/been passed by them over and over again in races because they're run/walking. If it works, I say go for it! BUT I don't understand working so hard to pass little old me, just so you can immediately slow down in front of me, repeatedly.

But IF you're averaging about the same pace (constantly switching places based on when they run or walk) and IF you're okay with throwing in a faster interval of your own, the trick for me has been to speed up and don't let them pass you on their run interval and then keep up that pace for the time you estimate they're walking. Then go back to your regular pace. IF you both continue at the same overall pace, you should stay ahead of them. DISCLAIMER: Don't do this at the beginning of the race, because everyone could be going out too fast, including you. Wait until things even out. This also won't work if you are already running at your top speed for the distance.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq. You .ight try lacing your shoes like this. I still use the heel lock so it is tighter on the heel, but not at the top of the foot. g5v3l0i7iimq.jpg

ETA How do you add the spoiler on the pictures?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I totally get run/walks. I've done it before but I don't stop to a walk in front of someone I just passed.
    I totally agree, it's not that hard to step to the side and look behind you when switching to a walk. I've kept an even pace and passed the same person/been passed by them over and over again in races because they're run/walking. If it works, I say go for it! BUT I don't understand working so hard to pass little old me, just so you can immediately slow down in front of me, repeatedly.

But IF you're averaging about the same pace (constantly switching places based on when they run or walk) and IF you're okay with throwing in a faster interval of your own, the trick for me has been to speed up and don't let them pass you on their run interval and then keep up that pace for the time you estimate they're walking. Then go back to your regular pace. IF you both continue at the same overall pace, you should stay ahead of them. DISCLAIMER: Don't do this at the beginning of the race, because everyone could be going out too fast, including you. Wait until things even out. This also won't work if you are already running at your top speed for the distance.

Some of them keep an even pace but there are others that all out sprint on their run and then basically stop to walk. I don't get it but I use a different race strategy.

I much prefer going out slow and gaining speed. I love negative splits. Lol

The prevailing wisdom is that for none elite athletes, negative splits are the best plan. Elites go for even pace the entire race. Or so I am told. I normally am just trying to survive one more step. :D

Haha yes! 😂 Many times it's like ok you have 4 miles to go. Thats easy. That's just a little more than a 5k. Or two sets of two miles. And then thoughts of tacos float in until the next mile and I start all over.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty Yaaaay!

Changing the battery worked. Hooray! I don't have to walk home on a gimpy foot! (Walking on top of running isn't doing me any favours right now.)

I had physio this morning and she did the thing with the stabby death needles and now my whole leg is a giant knot. If it eases by 7pm I will run tonight - otherwise tomorrow. Based on last week's experience once the tightness goes away my ankle will feel amazing.

"Stabby Death Needles" is now the new name of my band.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Some of them keep an even pace but there are others that all out sprint on their run and then basically stop to walk. I don't get it but I use a different race strategy.

I much prefer going out slow and gaining speed. I love negative splits. Lol

The prevailing wisdom is that for none elite athletes, negative splits are the best plan. Elites go for even pace the entire race. Or so I am told. I normally am just trying to survive one more step. :D

Haha yes! 😂 Many times it's like ok you have 4 miles to go. Thats easy. That's just a little more than a 5k. Or two sets of two miles. And then thoughts of tacos float in until the next mile and I start all over.

"Come on, just make it to the next X and you earned another slice of pizza!" may have been a thought... more than once :lol:
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @kgirlhart I just figured this out. You add spoiler and /spoiler, each in square brackets before and after the image.