October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the Sedona half on Feb. 2. It's very hilly and at altitude (4500 ish) so I'll need to push my training to be ready. I'm so darn slow and want to/need to improve. So I'm asking for advice. I know intervals are important for speed work but I've done them pretty haphazardly. I should probably also increase my monthly mileage. I looked up training programs specifically for speed but not sure if need something that intense. I finished Wineglass in 3:08 - but best ever half was 2:47. I know Sedona will be a challenge for me - and even though the time limit is 5 hours I really would like to finish around 3 hours - or better. Advice? Suggestions? Anything is welcome. Full disclosure - losing 40 pounds would probably help more than anything.

Hubs doesn't want to come along so I asked my 3 daughters. However - they all have young children, jobs, and money is tight so we'll see. I have no trouble going by myself if that's what happens. I've done it before and I'm sure I'll do it again.

Looked at the course map. Man that is a lot of hills, but mostly on paved road? Altitude training is beyond me, but I'd say hillwork and lots of it seems like a good direction forward.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I'm not much of a trail runner, but it seems to me that anyone who might be upset at having mud splashed on them shouldn't be running a trail race in the first place. I get dancing around because you're worried about footing, but I don't get being upset at real trail runners doing what they do best. In a trail race, I just try not to get run over by the real trail runners on sections where my lack of skill is evident.

Yeah, exactly. But people are people... :(

They might be primarily road runners who signed up for this trail run. Part of LNT is to go through the most worn sections, and those are the parts with the deepest muddy water. In fact, I always used to get trail shoes with Gore-Tex, but have decided that I'm not going to make that a "must have" for my next pair since my feet will get wet anyway. Shoes are never tall enough to make a difference anyway.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    How are we going?

I finished the Melbourne Marathon! That was brutal!! So warm!! :s:D My throat started constricting at 25 km and I had to walk a lot after that, and it became just a matter of trying to finish and staying out of Accident & Emergency. :D

The first half went great, and I stuck to my conservative pace, not getting carried away. Quick loo stop at 20 km. But it was getting warm. People’s were saying there was lots of pollen. I don't get asthma but I've had types of exercise asthma (it’s a thing, I’ve read about it) now twice. If I walked/ran, I was OK, but my throat was constricted when I talked, and for a while when talking after I finished. It was hard to breathe through my mouth when running after a while.

It got to about 24 degrees Celsius by the time I was done. I’ve only run in 10 degrees or less for the last 7 months. Out of 7,000 starters, 6,300 finished. I was in the back of the pack, and was interested to see all ages and sizes around me. I've never had to walk in a race, so this was humbling. Marathon number 3 if you count my 50 km. Proud to have finished at all.

Well done! Exercise induced asthma is absolutely a thing. I think half the world's athletes have it. I get it. Wasn't really able to run more than a km before my chest got tight and I would be wheezing. Fortunately my running buddy is a GP and she recognised it. A couple of puffs of salbutamol before going for a run, and I'm sweet, and the difference is amazing. I went from walk/run 5k for weeks to running 5k complete within a week of having an inhaler. Definitely worth asking your Dr about it.