October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• SarahRuth42
    SarahRuth42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    cbos1215 wrote: »
    Hello all!

Well, I am brand new to this challenge, I'm not a runner but I love to walk and I could walk for miles while listening to my playlists. I do love to challenge myself, basically have to keep my body moving. I am a 70 year old great grandmother who does boot camp for an hour every M-W-F beginning at 5:30 a.m. My husband and I are members at a gym and I will workout with him from time to time. I love to golf and I walk 18 holes 2 days/week weather permitting. I have no idea where to start with a goal so I will shoot for 25 miles and go from there next month.

Looking forward to making some great strides with this challenge.

You are amazing. :)
  • cbonsign
    cbonsign Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2/40 miles tonight

Is there something I can do to help my body not feel the sudden urge to go the bathroom? Something that will improve?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    cbonsign wrote: »
    2/40 miles tonight

Is there something I can do to help my body not feel the sudden urge to go the bathroom? Something that will improve?

#1 or #2?

1 could be nerve irritation.
    2 simplly go before you run, haha! That will/should/might improve with training. You'll learn to eat, not eat or have coffee or not, or plan a route close to an acceptable pit stop. Or sacrifice a sock in the woods. Just dont poop in your neighbors yard. Makes all of us runners look bad. 😏

Everyone is different. NSAID'S bother me. Occasionally I'll eat some that causes gi inflammation and i have problems. If you have ibs, talk to your doc. There are meds available.

Sure others will gladly share their experience and potty wisdom!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Monthly question.

1) With holiday's coming up and the return of cooler or warmer weather. What's your stragedy mitigating the particular challenges you face these last few months of the year?

Okay, a more serious answer to this...

Temps in the 50's F and up:
    • I do fine. T-shirt, shorts and normal socks

Temps in below 50's F depend highly on wind, moisture and etc.
    • I will need handwamers for sure. Fingers and toes are always an issue for me long before any other body part
    • Same for toe warmers
    • Probably wearing my Darn Tough wool socks
    • Depending on how low I switch form tshirt to UA Cold Gear compression mock turtle top
    • Same with the bottoms, I swap to UA Cold Gear fitted Storm pants
    • If wind is an issue, my North Face Wind Barrier jacket goes on. It was WAY WAY expensive, but it stops the wind dead in its tracks
    • If temps are really cold I add a..whats it called.. the hood that covers your face too. Makes you look like a ninja
    • Wool hat for my ears if it is not cold enough for the hood thingy

If that cannot keep me warm, I just do not run. It will be my fingers and toes that defeat me first. At 40 degrees I already need the warmers. I have run in 0F, but only short runs as my toes get painfully cold.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have a quarter zip pullover I can add to the mix too. I have found that LAYERS are better than single thick items. So that is what I do. I keep adding layers.