October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10 Didn't realize you were already getting good support from the family, Like you say it's temporary, which in itself is a life lesson for your daughter.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    October goal: 95 miles

10/2: 5.5 miles

5.2/95 miles completed

I had a good run this morning. I went 5.2 miles. Summer just won't let go though. It was 71F which shouldn't be too bad, but the humidity was 99% and the dew point was 71 so the weather was still pretty unpleasant. But the run was good. I did see a loose dog at the park, so after running up a hill I turned around and went on the other side of the park and ended up running up the hill twice. I think it is a friendly dog, but I'm still not going to run up to a German Shepard that I don't really know. I would rather just take a detour.

I have a question for anyone who uses the Garmin live tracking. I think maybe @sarahthes does. When you send someone access to your run does it send them a message or is it something they have to log into to see? I would like to send my husband the live tracking for my runs, but I usually leave for my run in the morning before he gets up and I don't want to wake him up. Plus he uses a fitbit and not a garmin so he doesn't have garmin connect.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    10/6/18: Old Rip 5K Run
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart When I used Garmin live tracking, it sent emails with a link to see the tracking. I quit using it after a couple half marathons with spotty phone coverage; the live stuff didn't work where the phone couldn't get signal, and not being able to get signal was a big battery drain. But the people tracking me didn't need a Garmin, or Strava, or anything but email, a browser, and an internet connection.

Wineglass wanted me to use the RaceJoy app. Reports from people who have used it were that it works well on that course and isn't a huge battery drain; but the only person I cared about being able to track me was running the half, and she just hung around the finish line to wait for me to get there.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp !
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I never even thought of baked potatoes like that. Great idea! Thank you!

Today's run felt horribly hot even though it wasn't. It was 71 degrees but my last three runs were in the glorious 40s.

October Goal: 100 miles
    10/1: planned rest day
    10/2: 4.5 miles
    Total: 4.5 miles

UPCOMING RACES
    October - Illinois Homecoming 5k (7th)
    November - 5 mile Bare Bones Turkey Trot (22nd)
    December -

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
    August - Happy Birthday to Me virtual 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom @AprilRN10 baked potato with baked beans and grated cheese is the bomb.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10 @BruinsGal_91 I don't know that my daughter would survive college without that meal. It's cheap, easy, and gluten free.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Monthly question.

1) With holiday's coming up and the return of cooler or warmer weather. What's your stragedy mitigating the particular challenges you face these last few months of the year?

Okay, a more serious answer to this...

Temps in the 50's F and up:
    • I do fine. T-shirt, shorts and normal socks

Temps in below 50's F depend highly on wind, moisture and etc.
    • I will need handwamers for sure. Fingers and toes are always an issue for me long before any other body part
    • Same for toe warmers
    • Probably wearing my Darn Tough wool socks
    • Depending on how low I switch form tshirt to UA Cold Gear compression mock turtle top
    • Same with the bottoms, I swap to UA Cold Gear fitted Storm pants
    • If wind is an issue, my North Face Wind Barrier jacket goes on. It was WAY WAY expensive, but it stops the wind dead in its tracks
    • If temps are really cold I add a..whats it called.. the hood that covers your face too. Makes you look like a ninja
    • Wool hat for my ears if it is not cold enough for the hood thingy

If that cannot keep me warm, I just do not run. It will be my fingers and toes that defeat me first. At 40 degrees I already need the warmers. I have run in 0F, but only short runs as my toes get painfully cold.

Weirdly my fingers and toes don't really seem to get cold - the backs of my hands were kind of cold today but my fingers were fine until the very end of the run, at which point my left thumb specifically decided it was cold. I wore the UA socks you recommended a few weeks ago and my feet felt fine.

I did some googling and this looks like a good option for a windbreaker, and less expensive than I'd expected. My Brooks jacket from last year still fits but is too warm for now - I'll give it a go when we're into the thirties. Side note: what does it mean for a jacket to be "media compatible"?
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 You got me wanting one right now!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A media compatible jacket will usually have some kind of special pocket designed to keep electronics dry, and possible a place for a cord to snake in/out for headphones.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    A media compatible jacket will usually have some kind of special pocket designed to keep electronics dry, and possible a place for a cord to snake in/out for headphones.

Ah, that makes sense. I am spoiled by my waterproof watch and wireless headphones - I've actually never ran with wired headphones, but I could see it being a pain in a jacket.