October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Take care of yourself. That sounds no good, and not fun. I dont know much about rhabdo, why would you believe it to not be rhabdo?

I know @ROBOTFOOD had a mild case some time ago from cleaning up after a flood event
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm falling behind this week. Skipped planned runs Mon. and Tues. After running hard for the Trail Ragnar last weekend, I seem to have gained 7 lbs. of water weight and it still hasn't come off. I did an easy recovery run on Sun. evening and perhaps need to do more of those.

The edema seems to be in my organs (I can tell my stomach area is bloated) and is not rhabdo (I'm not seeing kidney symptoms like dark urine). I just can't explain the bloating, but I can't keep putting off running.

I would visit the doctor about this. I have heart issues and was told that a 5-lb gain overnight is a worrisome sign, especially since you mention it's in your organs. Maybe it's different with diabetes. Hope you feel better soon.

@RunRachelleRun Yes, that might be wise. I've also noticed erratic HR over the past couple days (just from my Garmin, but normally is pretty accurate). I've been dropping as low as 30 when sitting, then randomly return to a more normal 60's or more. I have a checkup with my endocrinologist next week, though... if it doesn't get worse, I might wait. Perhaps I'll try to go for a run tonight and see how I feel.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 Take care of yourself. That sounds no good, and not fun. I dont know much about rhabdo, why would you believe it to not be rhabdo?

There is definitely some edema somewhere... and it seems like it is mid-section since my shirt is popping. Maybe organs, maybe chest cavity... not sure. But if it were rhabdo, I would expect to see very dark urine.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I'm falling behind this week. Skipped planned runs Mon. and Tues. After running hard for the Trail Ragnar last weekend, I seem to have gained 7 lbs. of water weight and it still hasn't come off. I did an easy recovery run on Sun. evening and perhaps need to do more of those.

The edema seems to be in my organs (I can tell my stomach area is bloated) and is not rhabdo (I'm not seeing kidney symptoms like dark urine). I just can't explain the bloating, but I can't keep putting off running.

I would visit the doctor about this. I have heart issues and was told that a 5-lb gain overnight is a worrisome sign, especially since you mention it's in your organs. Maybe it's different with diabetes. Hope you feel better soon.

@RunRachelleRun Yes, that might be wise. I've also noticed erratic HR over the past couple days (just from my Garmin, but normally is pretty accurate). I've been dropping as low as 30 when sitting, then randomly return to a more normal 60's or more. I have a checkup with my endocrinologist next week, though... if it doesn't get worse, I might wait. Perhaps I'll try to go for a run tonight and see how I feel.

The slow heart rate is bradycardia. Be sure to mention those episodes. I have felt very bad sometimes when I have it, like I instantly caught a flu. I will usually notice it as soon as it goes into the 40s for a few minutes (my resting is low 60s). I think you should skip the run and try to get your appt moved up. And please go to the doctor right away if you have a cough, chest pain, shortness of breath, or feel very tired suddenly. Are you still eating keto? If so, be careful NOT to supplement with potassium salts. That could be very dangerous. Hugs. Keep us posted.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @shanaber These are the toe caps we got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748B6VG5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Even the small were a little long on me but can easily be cut with scissors.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Just got back from seeing the surgeon. I have surgery tomorrow at 11am. I couldn't believe they could get me in so quickly.

It turns out that it's my extensor digitorum longus, not extensor digitorum brevis. Not that I really care. The surgeon has been doing this for 30 years and has never seen anything like it. Certainly not a typical running injury.

There are three option to fix this. First choice is to find the two ends and reattach them. The second option is to take the part attached to my second toe and attach it the EDL of my third toe. They all fire together so it sounds like I wouldn't notice a difference.

The last choice is to fuse a couple of my toe bones so it can't droop. This is my least favorite option. We'll see.

Options 1 and 2 mean 4 weeks in a cast, 2 weeks in a boot.
    The last options means a surgical shoe and 6 weeks in a boot.

Both options mean no driving for 6 weeks, no running for 12.

I could sit and feel sorry for myself, or I could take advantage of this forced down time to do things I wouldn't do otherwise, so that's what I'll do. I can't say that I'll enjoy this, and I'll certainly miss running (and hunting!!!) but it's only a temporary setback.

I have a ton to do between now and surgery so I probably won't be back on here until Friday or Saturday. I hope you all have fantastic runs in the meantime!

wowza good luck! They have to get onto it fast for the ligaments to heal properly. left too long and they cant reattach fully.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 That was one gripping race report! I couldn't imagine climbing one of those hills, much less 6 or 7 and wading through water. Totally blown away by your effort!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thank you @MegaMooseEsq, @rheddmobile and @shanaber for your good wishes and excitement for my marathon. Starting to pack my bags and get all my gear together.

@shanaber - I do have some gloves kind of like that but they aren't fleece so aren't super warm. But the flap part might keep them drier. I think I'll have a couple of pairs with me so I can change them out.

@MegaMooseEsq I'm so sorry about your Bowie. What a beautiful little face. It's so hard, hugs.

Thinking of all of you with injuries and illnesses. Take care of yourselves. @7lenny7 hoping for the best for your surgery tomorrow.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

The slow heart rate is bradycardia. Be sure to mention those episodes. I have felt very bad sometimes when I have it, like I instantly caught a flu. I will usually notice it as soon as it goes into the 40s for a few minutes (my resting is low 60s). I think you should skip the run and try to get your appt moved up. And please go to the doctor right away if you have a cough, chest pain, shortness of breath, or feel very tired suddenly. Are you still eating keto? If so, be careful NOT to supplement with potassium salts. That could be very dangerous. Hugs. Keep us posted.

Yes, I know the term for a slow heart rate. It doesn't bother me any more when HR drops low, though. I notice it only because it's on my watch face. I know 40's-50's is normal for me when resting, but have seen it stable right at 30 quite a bit in the last 2 days.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    October Goal: 100 miles
    10/1: planned rest day
    10/2: 4.5 miles
    10/3: 9 miles
    10/4: 5.5 miles
    10/5: 7 miles
    10/6: cross train ditched for rest
    10/7: 3 miles
    10/8: planned rest
    10/9: rest until cleared by NP
    10/10: 10 miles
    10/11: 7 miles
    10/12: 5 miles
    10/13: 4.5 miles
    10/14: impromptu rest (was scheduled tomorrow)
    10/15: 4.5 miles (yesterday's)
    10/16: 8 miles
    10/17: leg day with the hubs instead of a run (couple's time)
    10/18: 6 miles
    10/19: 5 miles
    10/20: 2.5 miles (was supposed to be 5, but severely underdressed for the wind)
    10/21: impromptu rest (no sleep-went to pumpkin patch)
    10/22: planned rest
    10/23: 11 miles
    10/24: 8 miles
    Total: 100.5

UPCOMING RACES
    November - 5 mile Bare Bones Turkey Trot (22nd)
    December -

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
    August - Happy Birthday to Me virtual 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
    October - Illinois Homecoming 5k
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Best of luck with your surgery. It's never a good time to have an injury, but it's a good time of year to concentrate on your recovery.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    And home after my trip to the big smoke. I'll show you the pics when I get to see them if you want.

Annoyingly, I twinged my lower back during the shoot, twisted suddenly in the seat. Now I'm getting left sided sciatic nerve issues. Nothing major, just a bit of numbness and sharp electric pain walking up hills or stairs - only mild but annoying.

My usual stretches aren't working (deep glute stretch). Any suggestions? I'm about to go to sleep, maybe that will help

I had sciatica pain 2 years ago. What helped a lot was using a lacrosse ball and rolling on it where the pain was. It worked far better than all the stretching.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Today I got to run 4.28 miles. It was a nice day, but not the best run - my legs were still a little sore from this weekend, I was struggling a bit with temperature control, and having on-and-off pain in my left knee. I haven’t lifted weights in a month and since I usually do my “pehab” exercises before lifting, I haven’t done those more than once or twice maybe. No bueno. It’s one thing to take a break from lifting, but I need to be able to run, so I need to keep up the prehab.

I spent a good part of the run focusing on form, but found that "holding a quarter" actually seemed to make my knee hurt more somehow. Weird.

OCTOBER MILES:
    10/1 Mo - rest
    10/2 Tu - 1:11:20 - 6.54 meandering and cold
    10/3 We - 0:20:06 - 1.94 zippy after lifting
    10/4 Th - 0:45:37 - 4.33 medium effort
    10/5 Fr - rest
    10/6 Sa - Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K - Chip time: 1:05:14
    10/7 Su - “rest” volunteering at TCM gear check
    10/8 Mo - rest
    10/9 Tu - 1:09:53 - 6.54 improving my cold weather game
    10/10 We - 0:40:00 - 3.60 numbers approximate (workout accidentally turned off)
    10/11 Th - rest
    10/12 Fr - 0:56:36 - 5.20 medium effort sort of painful
    10/13 Sa - rest
    10/14 Su - 1:56:06 - 10.04
    10/15 Mo - rest
    10/16 Tu - 1:06:06 - 6.32
    10/17 We - prehab, finally (if I’m going to neglect lifting I need to not neglect this!)
    10/18 Th - 0:52:09 - 4.74
    10/19 Fr - rest
    10/20 Sa - rest
    10/21 Su - Mankato Marathon Weekend Half Marathon - Chip time 2:29:25
    10/22 Mo - rest
    10/23 Tu - rest
    10/24 We - 0:45:53 - 4.28

October Total: 73.26/85 miles

Races! (italics under consideration)
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: Glo Run Night Race 5K Chip time: 0:30:40
    September 8: Helen Gold 10K DNS - trip postponed
    September 9: City of Lakes Half Marathon Net time: 2:28:25
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K Chip time: 1:05:14
    October 21: Mankato Half Marathon Chip time: 2:29:25
    November 24: Mustache Run 10K
    December 8: Reindeer Run 10K or 15K (leaning 15K)

2019 Races Under Consideration
    January 5: Polar Dash 10K
    January 26: Securian 10K
    May 23 (est): ESTRS Lebanon 10K
    June 13 (est): ESTRS French 5K
    July 11 (est): ESTRS Lebanon 7MI
    July 17: Torchlight 5K
    August 1 (est): ESTRS Hyland 4MI
    September 9 (est): Sioux Falls Half (and 5K?)
    October 6 (est): TCM 10K